How long do you let your worm dangle?

plattsie_fish

Reaction score
Last session I had was a slow one so I had plenty of time to think about my upcoming spring campaign/approach. Really want to target the quality tench in the water I fish. Done quite well on dendrobena worms. Had a look at a few clips on YouTube but was surprised at how they were hooked. Hooked near the top with a really long hang. I have been hooking my maybe an inch from the top and leaving 2 inch down but these clips had them wilth 4-5 inch hanging down. Are you not pestered with false bites with such a long dangle?? Or am I missing something.

Philip

Reaction score
I must say i am with you on this. I too sometimes think some of the clips and articles show worms on too long a dangle!.

Surely if your going to hook a whole worm just the once logic would say the middle is best ?

plattsie_fish

Reaction score
Thankyou! That’s what I was thinking. Surely you also get indications with little fish nibbling the end, no where near the hook! Glad it’s not just me then!!

Reaction score
I have in the main hooked worms near the head,this includes lobworms,my reasoning being it allows a virtual free wriggle,thus attractive to fish,I have tried over the years hooking them differently and have found there to be no less hookups,in fact,when hooked in the middle i've had issues of double hooking the worm....

Keith M

Reaction score
If I’m using dendras or the livelier and slightly smaller redworms I usually hook them around a ½in along from their heads or if I’m using a lob then I usually use a half lob hooked at the broken end.

Keith

chevin4

Reaction score
I rarely use Dedrabenas these days as I found they didnt really work for me and much prefer lobworms. I tend to use segments of the worm particular the tail and pop it up say 4 inches with a piece of red rig foam on a helicopter rig.I sometimes find when using a whole lob particularly one which is lively can mask the point of the hook.

john step

Reaction score
I like to use half a worm with the hook size matching the worm size of course. I thread the hook up the worm from the broken blunt end. Its then threaded round the bend hiding the hook.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am the same as Phillip, usually hook in the middle, the logic being whatever end the fish start at the sooner they get the hook in the mouth however, it is always tricky with worms. I also used to like injected big lobworms with air, you don't hear much of that these days but it was the rage once; I had a lot of success on a reservoir once with that but I don't use worms much anymore, the odd one I dig up when fishing maybe. Mainly because eels love them and that's a problem on a lot of places I fish now. I didn't mind using a small hook with worms, just nicked through the skin half way along, a 14 or a 16 on a big lobworm. If the fish got it in its mouth it would be clear of the worm on the strike as it pulled through and catch the lip of the fish and they may not detect the hook so quickly with a small hook than a bigger one. At least I often found that happened but as I said I think it is always a bit tricky to get it right with worms. I think it is best to not be to rigid and experiment on the day, start with your favorite way and if your missing bites try something different. A lot will depend on the species and how they are taking the worm on the day.

The reservoir I used to throw in balls of groundbait laced with chopped worms, I had a place where I could dig a lot of them, they were orange because there was orange clay in the ground. I used to lob the balls just on a shelf about 3 rod lengths out, It was deep so a slider float was used, the air inject worms would pop up about 6 inches from the bottom shot, I had some good sessions with bream and tench mainly but the chopped worms would attract the Pike as well.

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with worms as bait is small perch grabbing the end and tearing off to avoid their shoal-mates getting a look-in. This results in what looks like an unmissable bite which usually results in striking into thin air. So then you try leaving it longer and the fish is deep-hooked. :(

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I leger using a Size 10 for early Tench.
3no. earth worms & 10no. red maggots and the tip slams round!
It's a great big target bait for them to hone in on and they're not weary of maggots early doors.

rayner

Reaction score
If using a full worm I like to hook both ends then cut the middle effectively fishing two halves. Or hook just the head through the mouth of the worm. If there are tench already in the swim the mouth is good, if waiting for them to arrive the two halves are better for me.
Slap the hooked worm on the water will stop it masking the point it will come around whilst in the water.