I am fed up...

pats

Reaction score
When I first started, I was keen for a few matched, everybody told me it was addictive and I would not be able to give it up. I never had that problem, I think it is because I don't seem to be the addictive type. One day I woke up and decided to gave up smoking after 30 years and have not touched a cigarette since.

One day you started smoking and didn't stop for 30 years! :eek:

If you're not getting the results or improving it's going to get boring. Either give it a break, quit or think about getting some coaching to help you along.

fishplate42

Reaction score
One day you started smoking and didn't stop for 30 years!

:eek: If you like :eek:;)

If you're not getting the results or improving it's going to get boring. Either give it a break, quit or think about getting some coaching to help you along.
I think the trouble is, I don't really want to get better at it. I really don't want to have any coaching as I think it is the 'fishing to rules/deadlines and at a peg not of my choosing that I don't like. But that is just me. I have tried it for a couple of years now and I just don't want the commitment, if that makes sense.

I have come to the conclusion that I prefer to do my own thing. I was surprised and encouraged by just how many people on here feel similar. I will do the odd match, from time to time, as I like getting together with a bunch of guys and fishing. I am just not going to do it regularly with a commitment marked on the calendar as I have been doing.

Ralph.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Why not go fishing entirely on your own terms? You don't need "permission" to stop fishing matches. For a while I fished regular club matches interspersed with occasional opens, but whilst I enjoyed the social side and the sense of purpose, the returns, in terms of productive fishing, just weren't good enough. I wanted to fish a good peg every time out, not once in a blue moon, fish waters when they were fishing well, not when they cropped up on the calendar, and fish at the best times, eg early and late, rather than the worst. These days I'll get the occasional invitation, with a bit of an arm-twist, from friends to fish a match, but if the place is too peggy, has poor access or is simply the kind of fishing I don't enjoy, I have no hesitation in saying thanks but no thanks. Go solo, or with a like-minded friend; it can transform your fishing.

bracket

Reaction score
I was brought up on match fishing. As a child my Grandfather would take me with him on club outings, mainly to carry his gear and watch out for it whilst he was in the pub. I fished my first match when I had just started work at 15 years old and never really stopped for the next fifty years. In the 1950/60/70&80's there were countless matches on a variety of venues, as every Pub, Pit and Factory had it's own Fishing Club, so you were spoilt for choice. I met some great people, had a fantastic time and all I have ever learnt has been as a result of match fishing. Looking back I would not have changed a thing. There were good days, bad days and days when you wondered "what the hell am I doing here" but you can say that about life in general. OK so there was a cost involved but you have to spend your coin on something unless you are happy just counting it. I don't fish many matches now just the odd veterans matches and they are inevitable sat round a commercial walloping carp (not my favourite pastime). My approach to a peg is still with match fishing in mind, can't seem to break the habit and hope I never do. So the bottom line is: Each to his own. Pete

Last edited:

Reaction score
The ONLY thing I miss about match fishing is the banter,being surrounded by several good friends,having a laugh and doing what you enjoy can be brilliant,but when the bad days outnumber the good it's time to go.

john step

Reaction score
I have been thinking of this thread and people getting fed up in general and leaving angling as some do.

We have all known those who shine bright fishing wise and seem dedicated anglers and then suddenly give it up.

It may be a personal trait with some people to swap about between interests and angling is just one phase along that road.

The bloke who used to live next door bought all the tackle, fished for a bit then bought a motorcycle and the fishing stopped. That lasted a little while until his hobby swapped to cycling. Then he moved as he decided he wanted to try somewhere else to live.

I feel in angling if you have a broad interest range this is less likely to happen.
I really don't have time to cover all aspects as the season turns to my complete satisfaction and I think that keeps the anticipation up.

Winter is for me pike,zander chub and spring tench and carp and summer barbel, roach, merging into Autumn perch and then winter again.

I never quite feel I have done my best and always think of ways that next time will be different.

In a nutshell I believe variety is the spice of life. Don't tell the wife:wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm with John Step on this one. However, whilst my philosophy is essentially the same, the way I implement it is bit different. I don't tend to follow the seasonal species approach to gain variety. I'm more likely to focus on a particular water, species or angling style for as long as it takes for me to get bored. At that point I switch my attentions elsewhere. I've no doubt that I would have stopped fishing years ago if I was as one track minded as many anglers.

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I do want to make it clear, I am not fed up with fishing, just open matches. I am planning on moving (which has been on the cards now for a long time - but that is another story...) so I have not investigated any of my local clubs too deeply however when I eventually do move I will have a look at some of the local clubs and see if any of them with have me!

I have written down my thoughts a little clearer on my blog, which you can find HERE. I do like fishing with friends but I am also happy to fish alone all day just letting the world go by. It is the most relaxing thing I can think of doing. Competitive match fishing for me, and it is purely a personal view, after giving it a go for a couple of years puts back a pressure I am trying to escape from.

Ralph.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

I'm with John Step on this one. However, whilst my philosophy is essentially the same, the way I implement it is bit different. I don't tend to follow the seasonal species approach to gain variety. I'm more likely to focus on a particular water, species or angling style for as long as it takes for me to get bored. At that point I switch my attentions elsewhere. I've no doubt that I would have stopped fishing years ago if I was as one track minded as many anglers.

Sam, you have summed up exactly how I feel. I like all sorts of fishing and I like to dabble in all of them. I may never be an expert in any of them but I don't really want to be, I really enjoy trying. Fishing is getting away from all the things I am supposed to be an 'expert' (knowledgeable would be a better word) in and all the pressure of keeping up to date with in order to remain there.

As I have said in my blog post, I do not want to dedicate most of my fishing time to one aspect of it, nomatter what that is. In this case that is match fishing which had started to take over.

Ralph.

steve2

Reaction score
Like John my seasons were split, winter pike and chub, spring trout fishing, summer tench and bream, then back to autumn lure pike fishing. With a bit of sea fishing in between.

I have been fishing now for the best part of 60 years but it’s never felt like I do now about my fishing. You could say I am more interested now in get my steps right in my dancing than what is on the end of my line.
I do feel though that if I don’t get out fishing soon then that will be it and I won’t get out again till the winter if at all.

Reaction score
My fishing has changed enormously over the long years i've done,I have good days and bad and that doesn't mean so much the fish I catch,rather the pleasure of what i'm doing,what I see and the beauty of the surroundings,I only hope that others get the benefits I have from angling...and Steve,I only wished more anglers in my area danced more,more swims for me...;):D

mikench

Reaction score
Fishing could not be more different from my day job; thank god!;)

I don't wish I had resumed earlier because I enjoyed all the various things I previously did as well as bringing up 3 kids and developing a practice involving 12 hour days and working Saturdays!

I find fishing so very relaxing ! Take today I was learning to wallis cast with a pin without a hook and I really enjoyed it ! Good company, fresh air, an idyllic setting and slowly acquiring a new skill( perhaps :D) what is not to like?

What do I need to buy next:wh

pats

Reaction score
I like the bit of variety. I'm doing some match fishing now mixed with pleasure fishing. Targeting tench in my own time but loving the few matches I fish and loving the competitive element. Always improving.
I'll also be doing some trout fishing over the next few months, both fixed spool and fly fishing. Hard to beat tying your own fly and fishing into the evening on some remote small river on a hot summer's day. I often find myself fishing into the dark long after the sedges have hatched - visibility totally gone but I'll have built a mental picture of the whole river in front of me - every overhanging branch and every pool. Casting into the dark and directing all my senses to just listening for that take. Some of those night's have been the most I have ever been 'in tune' and those nights are very difficult to beat.
Come the winter I'll be targeting specimen pike. Wrapped up in the cold but there's nothing like the alarm sounding and the resistance of a good fish when you strike.

It's all good. I have never really thought about it like this but I suppose I like the fact that you could put me on any water and hand me any rod and I could make a fair go at catching whatever is on offer.

There's little point in moaning about a hobby. Maybe if making threads on forums and creating blog posts about doing something you don't like is how you go then maybe it's all just about the writing for you? Maybe you need a change of fishing style for your writing? If you didn't have any place to write about your fishing would you even still fish?

nottskev

Reaction score
Just remember Ralph; we are asking the questions.

Reaction score
I like the bit of variety. I'm doing some match fishing now mixed with pleasure fishing. Targeting tench in my own time but loving the few matches I fish and loving the competitive element. Always improving.
I'll also be doing some trout fishing over the next few months, both fixed spool and fly fishing. Hard to beat tying your own fly and fishing into the evening on some remote small river on a hot summer's day. I often find myself fishing into the dark long after the sedges have hatched - visibility totally gone but I'll have built a mental picture of the whole river in front of me - every overhanging branch and every pool. Casting into the dark and directing all my senses to just listening for that take. Some of those night's have been the most I have ever been 'in tune' and those nights are very difficult to beat.
Come the winter I'll be targeting specimen pike. Wrapped up in the cold but there's nothing like the alarm sounding and the resistance of a good fish when you strike.

It's all good. I have never really thought about it like this but I suppose I like the fact that you could put me on any water and hand me any rod and I could make a fair go at catching whatever is on offer.

There's little point in moaning about a hobby. Maybe if making threads on forums and creating blog posts about doing something you don't like is how you go then maybe it's all just about the writing for you? Maybe you need a change of fishing style for your writing? If you didn't have any place to write about your fishing would you even still fish?

A little strange that,if you've fished for certain species in better times,it's hard not to grumble a bit,I mean to say,what would happen if a disease like spring viramenia reached epedemic proportions and wiped the carp out,what would our angling community do?;)

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Pats said:

Blimey Pats, what's your problem? I am not moaning, just chatting. I like fishing and I like writing about it. For me the two things go hand in hand. What on earth is wrong with that? Most seem to join in with this thread and get where I am coming from. If its not for you, you don't have to read it.

Ralph :confused:

Last edited:

pats

Reaction score
Woah woah calm down there's nothing wrong with it! I didn't mean to sound like I've had any issue with it at all. Most people here will have have seen newbies come and go all the time, it's nothing new. If you don't like it (match fishing) you don't like it.

It was a genuine question about the writing. Would you be as interested in the fishing if you weren't writing about it? If not, then keep writing.

Do whatever you wish to do. If you only enjoy fishing for another year then so be it. There's no harm in that.

But yeah true enough, I don't really get why anyone would moan about a hobby. And I've no problem with you posting or blog posting about it. You can write to your hearts content about the fact that you're fed up with it. As you say whoever wants to read it will read it. If people agree they'll agree. If they don't they'll disagree.

But at the end of the day if you don't like it just stop. Matches aren't always fun. I don't think I could survive on just matches either. Nothing like getting out on a natural venue with not a soul near you and catching some truly wild fish, some which may never have been caught before. Spread your wings and if you still enjoy fishing in a year or two maybe you'll get the buzz back for a match or two.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Woah woah calm down there's nothing wrong with it! I didn't mean to sound like I've had any issue with it at all. Most people here will have have seen newbies come and go all the time, it's nothing new. If you don't like it (match fishing) you don't like it.

It was a genuine question about the writing. Would you be as interested in the fishing if you weren't writing about it? If not, then keep writing.

Do whatever you wish to do. If you only enjoy fishing for another year then so be it. There's no harm in that.

But yeah true enough, I don't really get why anyone would moan about a hobby. And I've no problem with you posting or blog posting about it. You can write to your hearts content about the fact that you're fed up with it. As you say whoever wants to read it will read it. If people agree they'll agree. If they don't they'll disagree.

But at the end of the day if you don't like it just stop. Matches aren't always fun. I don't think I could survive on just matches either. Nothing like getting out on a natural venue with not a soul near you and catching some truly wild fish, some which may never have been caught before. Spread your wings and if you still enjoy fishing in a year or two maybe you'll get the buzz back for a match or two.

If I took what you said the wrong way, I apologise. Sometimes the written work can be taken the wrong way and you may have read more into what I was trying to say.

All I was saying was that the match fishing thing had sucked me in without me realising it - as it can - and it had suddenly dawned on me that my heart was not really in it, because I wanted to free up more time to 'pleasure fish'. Yes I do like writing about it and 'discussing' it on line. Unlike a lot of people, I don't have any fishing mates to discuss it with face to face, except the guys I meet on the bank.

I know the best way to learn is to mix with other anglers and I do when I can. The obvious course of action would be to join a club and that I fully intend to do once we have moved. There is little point in joining a club here as hopefully I won't be here for much longer.

As for writing I have always written about the things I do. I have been involved in graphic design, photography, publishing and writing, both as an author and a journalist most of my working life. I can't help it :)

BTW, I did not intend to moan about fishing, or anything else for that matter, I was trying to find out how other felt about the match scene in general. I love my fishing and everything that goes with it. I am not one to jump in and out of hobbies, I have collected a few over the years and usually they all interact with each other in one way or another. Most of them I have had an interest in since childhood. Fishing is something totally different for me and I write about it for two reasons. My blog is a personal record of what I have done and I open it up to others so I can get feedback, good or bad. The other reason I write is to learn. I had no experience of fishing at all until just over two and a half years ago. All the stuff you guys know and have forgotten I want to understand so I can make my own dissensions based on what I have gathered. If it works, great. If it doesn't that is also fine because I have learnt something.

Anyway, please don't misunderstand me, I am not fed up with anything else - I love fishing. There I have said it at least twice now.

Ralph :thumbs:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Match fishing has changed vastly over the years and the biggest difference is that the age group of those match fishing is much older than when I started in 1970. Back then as a 13 year old there were loads of other youngsters and even the seniors were mostly in their 20s and 30s with the odd much older angler. Now it seems that those anglers that I grew up with are in the main the match anglers still fishing - locally the overage age of match anglers is about 60.

What that youthful match scene gave us was a tremendous hunger for success. We were eager to learn, knew little yet would travel hundreds of miles (from the age of about 20) for big matches (they were big as well) despite often meagre results. We didn't have much gear - two rods was the norm and you could carry the lot on your back, often for a walk upwards of a mile to your peg. The draw was everything and a bad peg didn't mean chucking back 30lbs but a peg where you'd be lucky to get a bite; in the tougher team matches whole sections would blank yet we persevered. I can remember chatting with a fellow angler just before a sequence of 6 matches, 2 winter leagues, 2 Xmas matches and 2 opens, and we agreed that two draws on a few fish would be good, fully expecting at least two blanks. In the vent that was what I got; blanks in both winter leagues (whole section blanked both times), a blank in one of the Xmas matches, a couple of pounds in one of the opens and winning the other open and Xmas match. Bad runs would happen every so often and you'd be lucky to weigh in in 3 months, even those at the top endured this at times.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Match fishing has changed vastly over the years and the biggest difference is that the age group of those match fishing is much older than when I started in 1970. Back then as a 13 year old there were loads of other youngsters and even the seniors were mostly in their 20s and 30s with the odd much older angler. Now it seems that those anglers that I grew up with are in the main the match anglers still fishing - locally the overage age of match anglers is about 60.

What that youthful match scene gave us was a tremendous hunger for success. We were eager to learn, knew little yet would travel hundreds of miles (from the age of about 20) for big matches (they were big as well) despite often meagre results. We didn't have much gear - two rods was the norm and you could carry the lot on your back, often for a walk upwards of a mile to your peg. The draw was everything and a bad peg didn't mean chucking back 30lbs but a peg where you'd be lucky to get a bite; in the tougher team matches whole sections would blank yet we persevered. I can remember chatting with a fellow angler just before a sequence of 6 matches, 2 winter leagues, 2 Xmas matches and 2 opens, and we agreed that two draws on a few fish would be good, fully expecting at least two blanks. In the vent that was what I got; blanks in both winter leagues (whole section blanked both times), a blank in one of the Xmas matches, a couple of pounds in one of the opens and winning the other open and Xmas match. Bad runs would happen every so often and you'd be lucky to weigh in in 3 months, even those at the top endured this at times.

Mark, Thank you for an insight into the world of match fishing over the past few decades. I have no knowledge of those times with regards to fishing. When I came into it, a couple of years ago, I was fishing an well-stocked (over-stocked?) lake that was 'designed' to give up fish readily, with gear that, even at my level of spend, is far superior to the gear that would have been available in my youth. I am on a sort of backwards learning curve now, picking up snippets of information and trying out older gear.

I think I might have enjoyed the Match fishing scene of 40 or 50 years ago, or maybe it just sound idyllic. All I know is the open-style of matches are not really for me as I am never going to get that proficient at it - I think like 'fishing' better then 'catching', if that makes any sense.

Ralph.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Ralph,

I think, with deepest respect, you might find the words "fed up" are a little misplaced? Like Binks' piece on here and, I suspect, a great many others I started out as a member of a small club with matches every Sunday and usually finishing in double figures out of 12 - 18 rods. I met some fantastic, wonderful people who taught me a hell of a lot but, after a while, I realised that getting up at 3am for a Sunday Winter League grueller and 2oz (on a good peg) of transparent gudgeon weren't the biscuits for me.

I merely wanted to apply what I had learned in other directions. I would have fished my last match 30 years ago but fed up? I wouldn't use those words. I was excited beyond belief about big fish, new venues and more learning. In the great smorgasbord of angling, one never needs to be fed up. Move on, try something new, find your next great challenge and keep improving.

Thinking back even further, my parents were probably a bit fed up with the long school summer holidays but me? Not a chance, there were always more trees to climb, rudd to catch, etc etc.

I sincerely doubt you're fed up, you're more likely ready for a change. All you have to do now is decide what the change is and approach it with the fervour you took into match fishing. Best of luck. :)