I can only dream

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Took this yesterday , lots of zoom, isn't that lovely, a full set of sails, don't often see that, wouldnt mind it for a bit of fishing around the Isle of Wight or up the Thames..
100_1394.JPG

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice Mike, mine was at about 30 optical, not sure optical or digital.not yet worked that one out, thick as proverbial but nice to see, must be a nice life sailing the oceans in something like that, no council tax.

@Clive

Reaction score
Optical zoom does not degrade the image quality. Whereas digital zoom degrades the image quality. The camera invents pixels rather than recording the view accurately. If you look at a digital photo and enlarge it on your computer, phone or tablet you will see that the more you enlarge it, the fuzzier it becomes. It is ok for small image sizes like web images, but not for enlargements. But if you look at something through binoculars, similar to when you zoom in optically on a camera, the image stays sharp and actually increases the visible detail.

In real life situations 600mm optical focal length in 35mm or full frame format is about as much as you could expect without paying several thousand pounds for the type of lens wildlife pros and press paperazzi use. That is around 12x human vision. When you get to 30x digital zoom the image quality is no better than if you took the image at full optical size and simply enlarged it on your computer screen. Try it using your phone. Take 2 shots, one at full zoom and one at normal without zoom. Then enlarge the second shot by expanding the photo so the subject is the same size as the zoom shot. They will be the same quality.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I will try and keep it in mind, I am getting my old camera back soon hopefully, it got water spilt over it, a dodgy water bottle cap, Panasonic estimate to repair was over £300 originally. But they revised that to £200 with posting vat ect so told them to go ahead, the camera cost me £250 a few years ago. I liked the camera because it was small to fit in my pocket, and it had a eye piece, you didn't have to rely on the camera image which I found a pain, sunlight shadows etc.. I will check out the zoom controls when I get it, I think it had optical and digital. Not very good with understanding camera tech, it remains on auto all the time and I just pull the zoom lever and take a shot, mess around with it later on the computer if need be, mainly cropping the rubbish out. I don't look for perfection just a reasonably good picture.
The one I am using at the moment is a £139 bridge camera from argos but, it is heavy-ish and I cannot get it in my pocket so a bit inconvenient to carry around and hand shake is a problem, should be better when I get my old camera back.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It might be worth telling the story, the camera got water in it, one of those stupid water bottle caps came open (be aware of them!) and got in the camera in a bag so; I sent it off to Panasonic repair place near Gatwick somewhere, they told me it needed new electronics and a new camera barrel, it was about £350 they quoted. As I had paid £250 for the camera I turned down their offer and thought might as well look for a new one. They wanted about £20 to post the camera back to me, I thought sod that and told them I would collect it, never got round to it and forgot it, its a bit far for me with no car but I thought I might come across someone going that way; just never happened. This was about 1.5 years ago. Then I got an email from them last week asking me when I was going to collect it, I asked them to remind me what the estimate was or could they just do the electronics and how much would that be because the barrel was just sticking a bit and I thought I might get away with just the electronics. Then they came back with the £200 estimate, all repairs same as before electronics and new barrel, they said they now had a new source of parts that is why it is £150 cheaper.
All a bit weird I think, were they just trying it on?
And they are very poor at communication, I sent a reply email telling them I would accept the £200 and for them to go ahead and do the repair, this was over a week ago but no acknowledgement back, I assume they are going ahead but pretty poor all round I think, this is their official Panasonic repair site, not some back street dealer. Anyway, hopefully I will get the camera back but I I think I am going to have to chase them.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Regards your comments about yatch owners not paying council tax. If you look up how much it costs to insure and maintain a yatch plus the mooring fees you'll understand the analogy that boats are a hole in the water that you pour money into. It isn't a cheap lifestyle unless you are bumming around the increasingly rare cheap spots.