I need help

Fin6

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new rod and reel combo. I was thinking about the shimano tx2 and a shimano baitrunner st. I fish on small/medium waters so not sure if I need a smaller length rod.
What length am I best getting and what shimano baitrunner st should I get to balance it?
Also if anyone has a better reel suggestion let me know
Thanks

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Do you mean the Shimano tx2 tribal ?
As for a reel I use a 4000dl baitrunner .
How big is the water and average size of the fish .
Some places say carp up to 20lb but they may only have a few that size in there . The average will be around 5lb upto low double depending on stocking density .

mikench

Reaction score
Bearing in mind rods and reels are like your appetite, can be satiated but occurs again and again. Buy a rod in the length to suit your intended venues i.e. large or small, open or enclosed and if its too long or short but another. I assume the Tx2 is a feeder rod but don't know it. More info will lead to more considered suggestions. If you want carp rods I have no idea as I don't use one.

Fin6

Reaction score
Do you mean the Shimano tx2 tribal ?
As for a reel I use a 4000dl baitrunner .
How big is the water and average size of the fish .
Some places say carp up to 20lb but they may only have a few that size in there . The average will be around 5lb upto low double depending on stocking density .
Yes the shimano tx2 tribal. The biggest carp in the lake is 20lb but I’m starting to go to a few different ones around

Fin6

Reaction score
Bearing in mind rods and reels are like your appetite, can be satiated but occurs again and again. Buy a rod in the length to suit your intended venues i.e. large or small, open or enclosed and if its too long or short but another. I assume the Tx2 is a feeder rod but don't know it. More info will lead to more considered suggestions. If you want carp rods I have no idea as I don't use one.
Ok

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would go for the 3lb tc considering the size of the waters you fish,
I use a 12' Shimano specimen rod in ,2.25tc and had no problems with it. It also doubles up as a baggin Waggler rod on large venues.
The amount of times I use it is about 10 times a year, preferring to use a decent feeder rod that will handle fish of 15lb no problem .
The tx2 comes in various lengths I would get one to suit your venue and size of fish .

Philip

Reaction score
A 12 foot through action rod with @2.25 or 2.5 t/c matched with a 6000 or 8000 sized reel is a very versatile setup that will cope with an awful lot of situations. It might be a little heavy for the smaller lakes & fish but will still do the job & mean you don’t need to change everything if you move somewhere else.

I notice from the advertising blurb the Shimano rod in the 12 foot starts at 2.75tc which I think is going to be heavy so you might want to consider something else. There are lots of options out there so do a bit of digging, scan through a few forums & so on and see what people recommend.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a 12ft Greys Prodigy twin tip rod which comes with two Avon style tip sections:

A 1.5lb test curve tip section for slightly smaller Carp and for Barbel in normal water conditions; plus a 2lb test curve tip section for when I need to be able to handle large Carp or I’m fishing in flood water conditions for Barbel.

This rod also comes in a version with an Avon tip section plus a Quivertip section for those that prefer that combination instead.

Link to rod —>

I caught a 22lb common on my Multi-tip rod when I was targeting Tench using the lighter 1.5lb tip section (see pic) and I regularly catch plenty of Carp up to the 20lb mark on both the 1.5lb tip section and the 2lb tip section and most of these are caught in a weedy lilly strewn estate lake so I don’t think you’d have any problems using the rod at all in the venues that you describe.

I partner this rod with one of my Shimano 55 series reels (the 55 series Is unfortunately no longer sold in the shops but you can find them on eBay) or a Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM RC series reel; but a 6000 reel would also be fine as the 5000 series and 6000 series reels are basically the same size other than their line capacitys.

I also have a few dedicated Carp rods that I often use but these are nowhere near as versatile as my twin tip rod which can be used for a host of other fish from smaller fish right through to decent sized Carp.

Keith

Last edited:

Fin6

Reaction score
A 12 foot through action rod with @2.25 or 2.5 t/c matched with a 6000 or 8000 sized reel is a very versatile setup that will cope with an awful lot of situations. It might be a little heavy for the smaller lakes & fish but will still do the job & mean you don’t need to change everything if you move somewhere else.

I notice from the advertising blurb the Shimano rod in the 12 foot starts at 2.75tc which I think is going to be heavy so you might want to consider something else. There are lots of options out there so do a bit of digging, scan through a few forums & so on and see what people recommend.
Ok thank you

Fin6

Reaction score
I have a 12ft Greys Prodigy twin tip rod which comes with two Avon style tip sections:

A 1.5lb test curve tip section for slightly smaller Carp and for Barbel in normal water conditions; plus a 2lb test curve tip section for when I need to be able to handle large Carp or I’m fishing in flood water conditions for Barbel.

This rod also comes in a version with an Avon tip section plus a Quivertip section for those that prefer that combination instead.

Link to rod —>

I caught a 22lb common on my Multi-tip rod when I was targeting Tench using the lighter 1.5lb tip section (see pic) and I regularly catch plenty of Carp up to the 20lb mark on both the 1.5lb tip section and the 2lb tip section and most of these are caught in a weedy lilly strewn estate lake so I don’t think you’d have any problems using the rod at all in the venues that you describe.

I partner this rod with one of my Shimano 55 series reels (the 55 series Is unfortunately no longer sold in the shops but you can find them on eBay) or a Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM RC series reel; but a 6000 reel would also be fine as the 5000 series and 6000 series reels are basically the same size other than their line capacitys.

I also have a few dedicated Carp rods that I often use but these are nowhere near as versatile as my twin tip rod which can be used for a host of other fish from smaller fish right through to decent sized Carp.

Keith
Thank you for the suggestions