If RW hadn't caught Clarissa?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Oh that carp "Harry"!!!!!

What more can I say?

That chase after the catfish was a waste of time too. The one referred to must have died a long time ago, so the gamekeeper told me.

There was a big one, they netted it in the 60s and put it in a bath in the house. It's head was by the plughole and it's tail was hanging out of the other end and it was a huge bath. Nice to believe in legends though.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
So, the jury's out then...?

If Walker hadn't caught the 44, he might not have become the Matt Hayes of his day.

Did I get that right?

And does that make Martin Bowler the new Fred J, or the new Peter Stone?

dezza

Reaction score
No - never Bob.

Walker et al were all men of their time.

As regards top coarse angling (note that I use the words - coarse) stars, I put Martin Bowler way ahead of others. He is a down to earth type and quite honestly I like his approach.

Sure he catches a lot of big fish that are a result of he being able to get on a few excusive waters, but the fish still have to be caught. I would hate to have to catch a fish to earn a living.

The new Peter Stone?

I have on occasions had the privilage of fishing with Stoney and can honestly say that Peter was one of the greatest all-round coarse anglers of his time. His approach was wonderful to behold and even Walker bowed his knee at Stoney's prowess.

Peter was also a first rate fly fishermen who could hold his own in any company. Which is more than could be said for some of the other "stars" of today.

But in addition and after having fished with them, both Graham Marsden and Bob Roberts are up there with the best.

matt1960

Reaction score
But anglers of Walkers time, thought that catching carp was difficult. That they were an elusive fish that were in some way more intelligent than other course fish.
So in this sense the capture was a great achievment of its time.

We now know this to be not true, and carp are no more difficult to catch than any other fish. Possibly easier than some. And they are often easier to locate than some others.

Matt

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Sorry to labour the point but I still don't know HOW this tiny little water(fairly)deep in the Herefordshire countryside came to the notice of Walker & Co in the first place.......lets face it,its not exactly easy to find is it?

Also,we are talking about the early 50's when telephones did not exist in everyones home so communication was not as it is today.....not to mention the journey to and from the place-must've been a nightmare-no motorways and cars not exactly reliable,all of which would've put most people off...

No,its not THAT important-I'm just interested and maybe others are as well...so for the sake of angling history does anyone actually know??

The Carp Catchers Club was already in existence before Bob Richards caught his record. At the time it consisted of Walker, BB, John Norman, Maurice Ingham and Harry Grief. They'd got together at the start of the 1951 season, and began circulating a rotary letter between one another. The news of Bob's big fish was soon known to them; in fact Bob wrote to BB telling him of the 31 pounder as soon as he returned from Bernithan, BB wrote immediately to **** and **** wrote to Bob instructing him to send the fish to him for stuffing (and seeking information on the water, the owner, fishing prospects etc). By the time the angling papers announced the catch the fish was in Walker's possession, and this meant he was able to quickly confirm the claimed weight as accurate, despite several letters sent to the papers claiming it couldn't possibly be that big.

**** soon contacted the lake's owner, only to find out the estate was to be sold. By the time June 1952 came Bob Richards was a CCC member, as was his friend Jack Smith, who helped Walker track down the new tenant, Mr McLean. Walker obtained permission from McLean for Peter Thomas and himself to fish at the end of June, and Pete landed a 28lb 10oz mirror.

All this is available in books and much of it is now on the internet. You've just got to read 'em, though it's best to cross-reference with any other sources you can find, as accounts do vary. Don't take what I've just written as gospel; I'm writing from memory. I think it's pretty much true though.

Walker would have ended up being just as influential without catching Ravioli; whilst it's possible he may not have been asked to write his monthly column when the Angling Times came about in 1953 if he hadn't been the record carp holder, AT founder Bernard Venables was also a CCC member so he'd have known about Walker's wide ranging knowledge. Even without the AT, his extensive writings would have found an outlet - he also wrote for the Fishing Gazette, Creel, Fishing, Trout and Salmon and Angling, plus lots of books. For instance Rod Building For Amateurs and Stillwater Angling were both published before the advent of Angling Times.

dezza

Reaction score
BB wrote immediately to **** and **** wrote to Bob instructing him to send the fish to him for stuffing

There is a famous photo which has been published in various publications showing Walker with fag in mouth about to plunge a scalpel into Bob Richards record carp after it was sent from Gloucester.

I'll bet old **** got through several packs of Senior Service before he finished stuffing tht fish. I'll bet the stench was horrific.

Thanks for your contribution Fred. A lot of people make sweeping statements about Walker, what he was, and what might have been, yet they are, in the majority of cases, too young to have met him, or to have directly experienced how he influenced our sport.

Walker in truth was a one-off. There was never anyone quite like him in his time and there never will be anyone like him in the future.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
There is a famous photo which has been published in various publications showing Walker with fag in mouth about to plunge a scalpel into Bob Richards record carp after it was sent from Gloucester.

I'll bet old **** got through several packs of Senior Service before he finished stuffing tht fish. I'll bet the stench was horrific.

Thanks for your contribution Fred. A lot of people make sweeping statements about Walker, what he was, and what might have been, yet they are, in the majority of cases, too young to have met him, or to have directly experienced how he influenced our sport.

Walker in truth was a one-off. There was never anyone quite like him in his time and there never will be anyone like him in the future.

I wouldn't rule out the chances of another angler of Walker's calibre existing, either today or in the future, but I would agree that such a person couldn't have the influence Walker did; the internet will see to that. From the fifties through to the eighties, the only source of information for the average angler was the weekly papers, the monthly magazines, books and any club/group/society meetings he or she may attend.

Nowadays anyone can log into a forum and seek advice, whereupon they'll be inundated with contradictory suggestions from anyone with a keyboard. No wonder tackle makers keep changing their product range, trying to keep up with every fad and fancy.

dezza

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out the chances of another angler of Walker's calibre existing, either today or in the future, but I would agree that such a person couldn't have the influence Walker did; the internet will see to that. From the fifties through to the eighties, the only source of information for the average angler was the weekly papers, the monthly magazines, books and any club/group/society meetings he or she may attend.

Nowadays anyone can log into a forum and seek advice, whereupon they'll be inundated with contradictory suggestions from anyone with a keyboard. No wonder tackle makers keep changing their product range, trying to keep up with every fad and fancy.

It's like saying that because our knowledge of the Universe, mathematics and physics has advanced, so Einstein is not the great man people thought he was.

Of course Einstein was a great man, and many modern mathematicians fully agree that he was.

In the same way, Richard Stuart Walker was a very great angler.

"Standing on the shoulders of Giants", comes to my mind.

willyjohn

Reaction score
Greetings,

Now, don't anyone out there go getting their knickers in a twist over what might appear as a naive question, but just who was/is 'RW'.

As ever, regards

WJ

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
willyjohn....it had to happen I suppose-an angler who doesn't know of RW!!

...and why should you...he belongs to a bygone age.......but loved by many..

As a matter of interest,who do you think is a famous angler these days-is it anyone us 'oldies' might know.....?

willyjohn

Reaction score
Hello Mark,

Thank you for the WWW address. I've had a look, & yes, RW was quite a man.
I'm a WW2 Bomber Command fanatic, & old RW was lucky to survive those trips, a member of the 'RAF Direct' or not. The cream of the country swept away from 39 to 45.

Regards,

WJ

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
One of the finest match anglers ever currently lives in Rotherham.

Stand proud Alan Scotthorne, five times world champion, world club champion, Eurpopean champion and Euro Supercup champion, an unsurpassed record. Plus all the team golds, and married to a former ladies world champion.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Greetings,

Now, don't anyone out there go getting their knickers in a twist over what might appear as a naive question, but just who was/is 'RW'.

As ever, regards

WJ
Fair question W.J. Mark's post will provide you with everything you need to know :)

OOOOooooh, I can hear the sound of blood boiling up in Rotherham from right down here.
:D My thoughts exactly Ray, reminds me of Uncle Albert "During the war......" :)

dezza

Reaction score
One of the finest match anglers ever currently lives in Rotherham.

Stand proud Alan Scotthorne, five times world champion, world club champion, Eurpopean champion and Euro Supercup champion, an unsurpassed record. Plus all the team golds, and married to a former ladies world champion

Yes I must admit that we the people of Rotherham are rather superiah what?

:w:w:w:p:p:p

dezza

Reaction score

Fly fishing on the River Cam near Cambridge in his university days, Walker caught 3 dace, all over the pound mark, biggest 1lb 5oz. They still exist with a private collector set up by Cooper in a glass case - probably the finest catch of big dace ever made.

When the dace record of 1 lb 8 oz was chucked out due to insufficient evidence, Walker could have easily claimed the new record. His own evidence was sound.

It was the same thing with the perch. Walker caught a 4lbs 13oz perch in 1951 which he stuffed and attached to the wall of his fishing hut with a 6 inch nail!

The perch record of 5lbs 15oz was chucked out through lack of evidence leaving Walker's fish as the biggest ever taken at the time which was witnessed and the fish made available.

Walker could have claimed that, but didn't bother.

And then there was the rainbow trout - he caught a fish of 18 1/4 lbs from Avington, the biggest rainbow ever caught on rod and line in the UK. There is another one he could have claimed. As it was he sent it to the smokers.

So for a period of time, Walker could have held the record for 4 species!

Walker's war time record was most interesting. He became a member of the Home Guard and rose through the ranks to Lance Corporal. Then he was instructed to work on airborn radar at the Royal Aircraft Establishment - Farnborough. One of his tasks was to teach pilots and flight engineers how to operate the radar systems. To enable him to do this he was given the temporary rank of Wing Commander, as no pilot was going to take orders from a non-commissioned rank.

This caused all sorts of problems when he rushed to his Home Guard unit after a day spent with Mosquito Air Crew in his WCs uniforms. Apparently Walker's CO didn't know who to salute.

On one sortie over Germany, a shell exploded right next to the plane Walker was aboard, rendering him deaf in one ear.