If the Close Season was Lifted....Who Would Fish Rivers During Those Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oooh I could go on and on about this but tbh the close season is ridiculous. If the intention is to give the system a break that can hardly be achieved by simply putting down a coarse rod and picking up a fly rod. If anything with the amount of walking the banks and wading involved with fly fishing I would suggest that it is the most ecological damaging branch of angling we have.
I won't even go into the ecological damage work party's do at a very sensitive time of the year.

The argument for spawning fish is so shot full of holes it is not worth repeating, What is worth mentioning however is the fact that spring does not happen in one big bang all across the country. This is obvious to anyone who travels from north to south or vice versa simply by looking at the colour of the hedges. It is generally reckoned that spring travels from south to north at walking speed, so the first green shoots will not appear in the hedges in John O Groats for three months after they show in Lands end. The brighter ones among you will have already worked out what that means for spawning times which it is suggested are controlled by temperature and light levels.

The other reason for reversing this ridiculous law is the fact that the only people who ever bother with it are the law abiding amongst us. I know of plenty of people who are dusting down their 'eel fishing' tackle as we speak, many of them have no qualms whatsoever of fishing for anything which swims with any bait they please, some are not even aware there is a close season, assuming it was abolished ten years ago when it was scrapped on the still waters, or that you need a licence to fish (don't get me started on that).
At least if the genuine law abiding types were allowed onto the river the poachers would have to look a bit further than the car park swims for their sport.

The fusty old traditionalists often cite the fact that we have always had a close season as a reason for keeping it,. Even if this were true which it is not (it was only brought into effect with the Mundella act of 1878) it is not a reason for retaining it. In the intervening 130 odd years we have gone from fishing primarily for the pot where everything was taken to a system of catch and release where everything is returned. The reasons for it's inception are long gone and if anything it is now counter productive to its original reason for being. Remember, when this law hit the statute books we still had child labour.

Another benefit from scrapping it would be the removal of the last minute desperate rush to catch something in the dying days of the season and the undignified stampede which accompanies the start of the new season, which in my experience has always been a disappointment as most of the fish are busy spawning.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm all for the closed season on rivers, it keeps the barbel bashers off so some of us can actually get to fish salmon pools for salmon!:D

Are there no salmon rivers in england and wales that can be fished in the coarse closed season. I know you can fish the thames fot trout and sea trout not sure about salmon Afar few southern rivers have a salmon run but not sure of the timing myself.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are there no salmon rivers in england and wales that can be fished in the coarse closed season.

Tyne, Wear and Tees, just for starters. I shall probably be fishing one of them, or a tributary of one of them, quite legally in a month or so.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would fish rivers if the closed season were abolished. However, until that is the case, I'm quite happy to abide by the laws that stand. I do feel that the logic behind the closed season is totally flawed and a three year old can rip apart most of the pro arguments. However, despite thinking it a waste of time, I've no particular desire to see the closed season on rivers abolished.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Well put across Adrian. How some anglers can vehemently and aggressively defend the Close season on rivers whilst at the same time targeting those same species on a Stillwater is beyond me. Hypocrites of the highest order.

and as for Freds "it'll never happen" one liner, I wouldn't bet against it.The ATA and tackle trade in general are and will continue to push for the abolishing of the Close season, and they have more clout than ordinary anglers ever have.

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
I would fish rivers if the closed season were abolished. However, until that is the case, I'm quite happy to abide by the laws that stand. I do feel that the logic behind the closed season is totally flawed and a three year old can rip apart most of the pro arguments.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

cg74

Reaction score
Oooh I could go on and on about this but tbh the close season is ridiculous. If the intention is to give the system a break that can hardly be achieved by simply putting down a coarse rod and picking up a fly rod. If anything with the amount of walking the banks and wading involved with fly fishing I would suggest that it is the most ecological damaging branch of angling we have.
I won't even go into the ecological damage work party's do at a very sensitive time of the year.

The argument for spawning fish is so shot full of holes it is not worth repeating, What is worth mentioning however is the fact that spring does not happen in one big bang all across the country. This is obvious to anyone who travels from north to south or vice versa simply by looking at the colour of the hedges. It is generally reckoned that spring travels from south to north at walking speed, so the first green shoots will not appear in the hedges in John O Groats for three months after they show in Lands end. The brighter ones among you will have already worked out what that means for spawning times which it is suggested are controlled by temperature and light levels.

The other reason for reversing this ridiculous law is the fact that the only people who ever bother with it are the law abiding amongst us. I know of plenty of people who are dusting down their 'eel fishing' tackle as we speak, many of them have no qualms whatsoever of fishing for anything which swims with any bait they please, some are not even aware there is a close season, assuming it was abolished ten years ago when it was scrapped on the still waters, or that you need a licence to fish (don't get me started on that).
At least if the genuine law abiding types were allowed onto the river the poachers would have to look a bit further than the car park swims for their sport.

The fusty old traditionalists often cite the fact that we have always had a close season as a reason for keeping it,. Even if this were true which it is not (it was only brought into effect with the Mundella act of 1878) it is not a reason for retaining it. In the intervening 130 odd years we have gone from fishing primarily for the pot where everything was taken to a system of catch and release where everything is returned. The reasons for it's inception are long gone and if anything it is now counter productive to its original reason for being. Remember, when this law hit the statute books we still had child labour.

Another benefit from scrapping it would be the removal of the last minute desperate rush to catch something in the dying days of the season and the undignified stampede which accompanies the start of the new season, which in my experience has always been a disappointment as most of the fish are busy spawning.

Good post but I've yet to witness a "stampede" or even close.:)

All the close season is, is a piece of tradition that some have associated (misleadingly) to good practice. Looking at the evidence (not mentioned in the quoted post); easter marks the start of silly season for boating and I doubt there is a bigger disturbance to fish than a motorised boat going over their heads.
Yet there is no protesting from the advocates of the close season to bring a stop too that.

Would I fish in the period 15/3 - 15/6, yes but only until about April, when I expect my target species to be readying themselves for spawning because I find the thought of targeting gravid fish just to better a PB by an ounce or two abhorrent.

But if you do want to fish legally on 'coarse rivers' during the close season, fish for eels (not shad) using a hook with at least a 1/2" gape but best to check regional bylaws.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Back in the 1980s we could fish the Exe legally as there was no close season at all in Devon or Cornwall. We tried it once - what a disappointment, one skimmer apiece. When we asked around it seemed it wasn't worth fishing until August which is about the truth on most coarse fishing rivers in the summer if you ignore bagging up on post-spawning chub. The roach can be OK a bit earlier.

sam vimes

Reaction score
But if you do want to fish legally on 'coarse rivers' during the close season, fish for eels (not shad) using a hook with at least a 1/2" gape but best to check regional bylaws.

Some areas have byelaws that allow fishing for trout with worms too. The snag with that is that many use that loophole to fish in areas where the chances of actually catching a trout are very, very slim.:rolleyes:
I will fish for trout with worm. However, I go to the upper reaches of the local rivers to do so. I don't take a sneaky pint of maggots with me and the chances of catching anything other than trout are virtually non-existant.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
and then you have the clubs who "introduce" a few trout a week or so before the coarse Close just so their members have a 12 month river ticket.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well put across Adrian. How some anglers can vehemently and aggressively defend the Close season on rivers whilst at the same time targeting those same species on a Stillwater is beyond me. Hypocrites of the highest order.

and as for Freds "it'll never happen" one liner, I wouldn't bet against it.The ATA and tackle trade in general are and will continue to push for the abolishing of the Close season, and they have more clout than ordinary anglers ever have.

What makes you think that the pro close season anglers all fish still waters in the close season I do not for one and I am not alone by a long chalk what is good for the goose is good for the gander as far as I am concerned it does no harm at all to give things a rest it is that simple. Look what happened in Ireland and Denmark if you want examples of what happens when it is not rested.

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Tiinker perhaps you need to read my post again as you've mistakenly read 'some' as 'all'.

Personally I don't fish during the Close season on any waters Still or otherwise.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good post but I've yet to witness a "stampede" or even close.:)

Try getting on the Royaly or certain weirs on the Trent Colin, And I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could think of plenty of other places on some of the southern rivers where you will struggle to find a swim on opening day.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tiinker perhaps you need to read my post again as you've mistakenly read 'some' as 'all'.

Personally I don't fish during the Close season on any waters Still or otherwise.

Do you actually know anglers who are pro close season and fish still waters and if so how many becaause all the anglers that I know who are pro do not but plenty of my other friends who are anti do fish for coarse fish all year my sons do. Ido what I have always done some trout and sea fishing on and off though the year depending what is in season you could call me a man for all seasons ecept the closed ones that is. I apologise if Iread your post wrongly but you seem to suggest the majority that are pro still fish still waters and I have not found this to be the case in the circles that I move in.

scottiedog

Reaction score
The original reason for the closed season on rivers was so the Victorian salmon anglers could make sure the working class coarse fishing 'riff raff' were away from the river when the salmon were running. It's a relic of the past & should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Tiinker.
I will let this rest after saying I said 'some'. That means some, not all, maybe not a majority, but some. If you want see who's who then look no further than this forum, and that includes some so called high profile anglers who are members on here.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If this was QI the bells and claxtons would be going now.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The close season is utter bo££ocks, its outdated and has no connection to the reason it was first introduced. I would fish rivers in what is now the close season if it was abolished,

Not long ago a survey by the EA/ATs showed the majority of anglers that filled the survey in were for keeping the close season, I wonder how many of those anglers fished rivers at all and how many carried on fishing still waters.

for those that are bothered about catching a gravid fish perhaps you shouldn't fish from March until August or September to be sure that everything has spawned and even then there may be very late spawning.

Anglers see themselves as guardians of our waterways, who is guarding them during the close season?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The close season is utter bo££ocks, its outdated and has no connection to the reason it was first introduced. I would fish rivers in what is now the close season if it was abolished,

Not long ago a survey by the EA/ATs showed the majority of anglers that filled the survey in were for keeping the close season, I wonder how many of those anglers fished rivers at all and how many carried on fishing still waters.

for those that are bothered about catching a gravid fish perhaps you shouldn't fish from March until August or September to be sure that everything has spawned and even then there may be very late spawning.

Anglers see themselves as guardians of our waterways, who is guarding them during the close season?

The anglers who have volunteered to be bailiffs ect that is who . we could do with some help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.