If you could live anywhere in Britain ?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
not sure of the fishign but North Yorkshire would be my choice - but I'd ahve to look a the area and see what fishing was there - if it was purely for fishing - darn sarf somewhere again I'd look at the venues/rivers before deciding

jollyboy

Reaction score
not sure of the fishign but North Yorkshire would be my choice - but I'd ahve to look a the area and see what fishing was there - if it was purely for fishing - darn sarf somewhere again I'd look at the venues/rivers before deciding

The problem with Yorkshire is its full of Yorkshire-men:D otherwise it would be a brilliant place to live ***tonge planted firmley in cheek as I look out towards fellow workers here in Yorkshire***

watatoad

Reaction score
Depends on what sort of fishing you want and just how near the sea you want, well she who must be obeyed wants...hehehe

My wife also got the idea of moving to the South coast so for the past three years and as often as we could we trotted down to the area between Bognor Regis and Rye, she was as happy as a cat with a mouse, then came the a warm May and summer and tourists. We had been taking long weekends and the odd week in bed and breakfast places, hotels and rented accommodation.

My wife went off the idea of actually living (a); on the sea front. (b); in a seaside town. Partly because of the crowds of tourists and lack of parking, in Autumn and Spring they are pretty good places to be in, so long as you accept that our seaside towns have been left to rot and fester for the past 30 years and like everywhere else small and to some interesting shops are just empty and closed retail premises. The majority of houses we looked at were in a generally very neglected state in so far as maintenance goes (we have looked at over 100 properties). Then one has to consider just what salt laden air and winter storms do to motor vehicles, not the most auspicious of environments for metal.

Somewhere along the way came her idea of living near a harbour or marina so she could see things moving and have some interest, the same problem applied to the condition of the properties with the added burden of much higher asking prices and even more problems in the parking and shopping areas.

Please don't get me wrong she still fancies living near the sea but has now decided that for her ideal we simply rent a place for a holiday every Autumn and Spring and/or go away for long weekends.

Then surprise surprise she asked me where did I want to grow old, I don't want to grow old - growing old sucks and its a bitter taste ache's and stiffness is she nuts? ... hehehe Seriously I think it is important once you are over 50 to consider many things here is my little list which I gave her earlier this year. Please remember the list is from my point of view.

1; how would one of a couple manage if the other died earlier than expected?
2; how would older people cope with a hilly area if they had not been used to it for many years?
3; how easy is shopping?
4; how close is a hospital?
5; assuming a very together couple what is there to be involved with jointly spring, summer, autumn and winter?
6; what is the crime rate like?
7; what is the standard and availability of local builders and decorators? Bearing in mind that as you get older you feel a lot less like getting up a ladder to do household maintenance.
8; does the area get unpleasantly crowded in summer?
9; do you need or want to be near younger relatives? Who may move away at any time.
10; what are the locals like, are they a close nit community or a more open community?

simple little list and nowhere did I mention my hobbies on it, which are fishing, miniature tabletop war gaming (scale model toy soldiers), model railways, model engineering, making bits and pieces. These being the only hobbies I am likely to continue through old age although stamp collecting might be another area, as they are generally less demanding on physical fitness than some of my other hobbies.

One has to consider what one really wants and has a real interest in and when looking one must not forget how one will live in any new area one is considering moving to not just immediately but in 10 or 20 years time, try to guess or gauge how the area will be in 10 or 20 years, do you have to consider sons and daughters and or their children visiting.

Nobody can consider or allow for every eventuality but I feel it is important to consider as many areas as possible.

For me its like living in Suffolk we are about 1 hour and 20 minutes by car and train from London, and about 40 minutes from the coast. I don't really like Suffolk although I do appreciate the countryside, I am a townie by birth and nature. Missing it I have tried to fill as many gaps as possible in order to keep my wife happy and yet not to feel deprived. Like many marriages its all about give and take, I give and she takes ... hehehe Seriously for me its all about sharing and compromise which is probably why we have been together for nearly 40 years, my wife is my best friend and we enjoy each others company and sharing things and interests and going out together.

Moving to a new area is like getting married if 2 people are going there then it must fill the needs and desires of both.

Fishing wise locally I have the Suffolk Stour, the rivers Gipping and colne many good lakes and reservoirs just a few miles away there are more rivers, but we are not in what anyone could call chalk stream waters or good barbel rivers or salmon rivers, so it must depend on what type of fishing you want and what species. While at the same time considering your other half. If you are a sea and river fisherman and your wife wants to live near the sea then the answer is simple you live near the sea.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Toady - For beautiful uncrowded beaches IMO you can’t beat North Norfolk. Balkeney for it’s small harbour and miles of unspoilt salt marshes teaming with wild life and Wells Next The Sea for it’s pine forest leading down to miles of spectacular sandy beaches. Even in the hottest weather there is space in abundance.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]No parking problems or neglected buildings either - but as I'm sure you know, parts of Norfolk are like going back in time.
PS Plenty of good fishing as well.
[/FONT]

little oik

Reaction score
The wife and I covered that few of the items on that shortlist plus a few others .However I am as happy as a pig in sh1t over here fishing wise, everytime I go to go fishing its feel more like a kid in a sweetshop with a birthday present from grandparents that was sent in a card!!!!!!!

watatoad

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Toady - For beautiful uncrowded beaches IMO you can’t beat North Norfolk. Balkeney for it’s small harbour and miles of unspoilt salt marshes teaming with wild life and Wells Next The Sea for it’s pine forest leading down to miles of spectacular sandy beaches. Even in the hottest weather there is space in abundance.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]No parking problems or neglected buildings either - but as I'm sure you know, parts of Norfolk are like going back in time.
PS Plenty of good fishing as well.
[/FONT]

Yes it is lovely up there and I have fished the area being only a short drive from my home. But for me when the wind gets blowing off the North Sea in February its just too cold now I have low blood pressure.

I wonder if you could make a few bob writing up tourist advertising for the local councils...hehehe You have certainly made me want to revisit the area.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Oxford, although there is some superb fishing is just about the furthest you can get from the sea. so that's out!! For me it would be somewhere around the Ringwood area. Close enough to the coast. Close to the New Forest (beautifull) and close enough to some great course fishing sites both river and lake. If money is no object close enough to fish the Test too.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
No reason to move from where I am. Since moving here 30 years ago I have fallen in love with the Thames and there's many more gravel pits around than you can shake a stick at.

Saying that, I've bought the rights (thanks Will) to a back stream in Oxford and just wished it was 25 miles closer then I could be there every day maybe. Just have to leave it to the rangers to sort out any poachers, but otherwise it's just for a select few anglers known to me personally.

Other than that, I have fishing not 10 minutes away and much, much more within 30 miles. Sure it costs petrol money, but it's too far to walk and I want to go fishing so why let costs put me off? Anyway, it's cheaper than the stamp duty on a similar property to what I have and add to that solicitor's costs, petrol's a damned site cheaper! :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
if I win the Euro on Friday night I am going to buy houses in every county in Britain that has good fishing, oh and Florida! (for the tarpon and bonefish!)

mark

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
if I win the Euro on Friday night I am going to buy houses in every county in Britain that has good fishing, oh and Florida! (for the tarpon and bonefish!)

mark

Your just being silly now, you know there know Good Coarse fishing around Durham ?

;)

Bob

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Poole. Stunningly beautiful certainly out towards hamworthy. I guess decent coarse fishing would fairly close by, but to live there I'd chance it.