If-------

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mick, Buckingham & District AS now issue day tickets on Walkers old stretch of the Ouse - not a patch on what it was years ago though..............

Keith Speer

Reaction score
Do they really Barbelboi?

I fished it twice with Keith Sellick (one of the chaps that drowned at Savay) as a guest of ****, **** cooked breakfast in his hut and we never had a bite, freezing cold on both days!

That said they were days that are imprinted on my mind as long as I live (I can even remember what Keith's bloody awful woolly jumper looked like), **** was a wonderful host, a very engaging yarn teller and a lovely man.

That he could be bothered to take two snooty nosed kids fishing for a day, speaks volumes of the man!!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Late 70s,early 80s, Northern Irelands Erne system, all around Fermanagh.

Group of five, three of us every year regulars, plus a couple of 'newbies'. Happy days, lived in a caravan, cooked breakfast every morning, sandwiches done, drive to wherever. Fishing from 8.30 to 9.00, and laughing all day and night. Stopped fishing at 18.30 irrespective, bit of shopping, back to base, gear ready for next day, washed and changed, out for a meal and LOTS of drink, then start again the next day, still miss it all these years later. Ireland is without doubt the most relaxing place i've ever been to.

theartist

Reaction score
This is going to sound a bit stupid but right now is the best time to be for me. This season I've fished so many new rivers that I've found out about, taken the rods on family hols, camping trips and overnight stays in cheap hotels just to fish a new river each time.

Sure I've had some average trips but some have been fantastic and finding hidden gems is what its all about and is totally inspiring Just wish I'd done this years ago instead of chasing girls.

Looking forward to next season already.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
What a great thread!

I can’t answer it though, I can honestly say that I’ve enjoyed every different phase of my fishing life and virtually every minute spent by the water.

From outings down to Kent from ‘The Smoke’ with my parents, uncles, aunts cousins etc. in the 60’s.

Branching out on my own as a teenager in the 70’s. Darent valley Carp and Tench, Eden Roach, Medway Chub.

Tench from Blenheim in the 80’s, Barbel fishing, Piking on the Broads and Fens, Roach, Perch, Rudd, loved every minute.

More recently, Salmon from Scotland and Canada, Chalk Stream Trout, French Carp, Canadian Sturgeon.

But for the last 20 years I’ve run a Syndicate on a lake in Sussex, the great fishing we’ve enjoyed as a result of our management of the water is a source of great pride and satisfaction. I think, with the possible exception of fishing the Fraser River, I’ll stick where I am.

Met some great friends along the way (and lost a few sadly) wouldn’t change anything.

The next time I go fishing (if it ever stops raining!) will probably be my next best ever trip.

Stu

Last edited:

redfin123

Reaction score
there was a time and place in the past that you could go back to as an angler, when and where would you choose ?:confused:
two places both in the 60s, the river Idle and Underbank reservoir. They were both producing big roach at that time, underbank was regulary turning up roach to 2lb plus, and the idle lovely deep roach to over a pound and a half and the odd 2lber. Another favourite was the witham in the 60s for its lovely bream shoals. memorable times.:)

maverick 7

Reaction score
The early 60's would be the time for me....it was the time when my Dad started to take me fishing/camping with him and his mates. Amongst other venues...we used to camp on the river banks of places like Pophams Eau and Three Holes on the Middle Level Drain which was very famous venues in those days.

I would be about 10 or 11 years old at the time and I never forgot the times when I used to get up very early and crawl out of the tent to see the mist hovering over the water just as the morning sun was starting to rise.....I was always amazed at how beautiful it all looked. We used to eat cold beans and rice puddings straight out of the can....I had never done anything like that and I thought it was great.

It may sound pretty daunting compared to camping these days 55 years later but we was living shoulder to shoulder with nature....and I absolutely loved it.

Despite all the barbel fishing and all the massive carp that are available all over the place these days .....I still prefer those days of roach and rudd fishing when a 2lb skimmer bream was a big fish...and a 4lb tench was a specimen...and all caught on a pretty abysmal pidgeon quill float rig....well, compared to todays "hi tech" rigs anyway.

My Dad was the best angler I have ever seen....and that comment is not just sentimental loyalty...but solid fact. My old man was unbeatable when it came to roach and bream fishing and he showed me many tricks along the way...even though, after all that he taught me... I never came anywhere near to how good he was....With him it always seemed that he was somehow connected to the fish.....he always caught on days when everybody else blanked.

They were golden days.........truly golden days.

Maverick

Last edited:

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I'm happy with the fishing today....Flightliner, you probably know why!!!

redfin123

Reaction score
now that we,ve read what fm members would like if, how about you flight where would you go if.....:):):wh