I'll Try Again...

Radbuza

Reaction score
Hi

I started fishing 55 years ago in West London - mostly the river Colne.
Getting back into it again since 2023 after a long break.
Now living in Czech Republic, I fish my local rivers.

riverman

Reaction score
hello from the north of england.glad to see you are back on the bank again.tight lines and welcome to the site. (y)

Radbuza

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Radbuza.

What are your main species over there and how do you target them?
The main species that I tend to catch are pike, perch, vimba and chub, but my local rivers contain most of the usual river species: carp, grass carp, zander, barbel, wels catfish, asp, trout etc.

Lsst year I spent most of my time either ledgering or jigging, but this year it's mostly fly fishing.

Aknib

Reaction score
Vimba are the only species I don't recognise from that list Radbuza, what are their characteristics... Are they more what we would class as a game or coarse fish?

I think the adipose fin is the defining factor but i'm quite hypocritical on these things and class anything caught on a fly as a game fish despite knowing most coarse fish can also be caught on the fly.

What method would you usually employ to target Vimba?

Philip

Reaction score
welcome to the forum.

I understand lure fishing is a common tactic for Barbel in Cech rep ? ....if thats the case it could be interesting to hear how they go about it.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

Am I correct in thinking that the vimba are sea fish that migrate into rivers to spawn?

Radbuza

Reaction score
Vimba are the only species I don't recognise from that list Radbuza, what are their characteristics... Are they more what we would class as a game or coarse fish?

I think the adipose fin is the defining factor but i'm quite hypocritical on these things and class anything caught on a fly as a game fish despite knowing most coarse fish can also be caught on the fly.

What method would you usually employ to target Vimba?
The vimba is a coarse fish, similar to bream, infact, I think in the UK they're sometimes refered to as Vimba Bream.

I'll try to attach a photo...

Attachments

• vimba-vimba.jpg
    vimba-vimba.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5

Radbuza

Reaction score
welcome to the forum.

I understand lure fishing is a common tactic for Barbel in Cech rep ? ....if thats the case it could be interesting to hear how they go about it.
Anglers often use flies, like squirmy wormies for barbel here, fished as a fly or as a lure on a jigging style rig.
Barbel will also, like most bottom feeding coarse fish, take weighted nymphs - usually fished upstream.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, I heard they are really good fly fishers over there. Some of the rivers look amazing.

I recall seeing a video with a guy basically fishing a plug in a CZ river ...literally just dangling it off the rod top into some fast water then leaving it on a static line so the lure worked itself in the current and waiting for the rod to hoop round as Barbel after Barbel grabbed it.

Really interesting stuff.

@Clive

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, I heard they are really good fly fishers over there. Some of the rivers look amazing.

I recall seeing a video with a guy basically fishing a plug in a CZ river ...literally just dangling it off the rod top into some fast water then leaving it on a static line so the lure worked itself in the current and waiting for the rod to hoop round as Barbel after Barbel grabbed it.

Really interesting stuff.
Put barbeau and either leurre or mouche into your favourite search engine and there are lots of links to videos of pecheurs catching barbel on lures on latex lures and flies.