Is it Justified

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Take away the whistles and bells and what is an alarm? Its something to alert you to a bite that must be weather proof and preferably have a decent battery life.

I've got TLB's and they do all of the above as well (as looking rather smart) and will keep on doing so long after the tackle tarts have traded in their 'must have' purple Delkims for the all new camo'd, black light version.

By the way, if I want to use a third rod I still have a couple of Btec Vipers that do a grand job after I don't know how many years. I only bought the TLB's because I lost the Vipers in the depths of my tackle shed for a while.

gentle

Reaction score
Paid 40£ for a set from Ebay that takes the camera batteries. I get a set of 10 of these batteries for 8£ and they last me for at least 100 hours. Came with a receiver box (Rarely use it) They are totally waterproof and robust. Do they have the kudos of delkims .....fraid not. Do I care....haha ill let you guess.

Does what it says on the tin. Alarms!

Maybe itys just my mindset. Im an ornery stubborn git and deteste anything that comes 'highly recommended' by ANYONE in the angling press. Hence I make my own baits, floats and prefer to get hold of 'pre loved' gear.

The prices of carp gear make a mockery of us and the trade for bite alarms is an inflated crock of 5h1t.

I know many of you will have reasons for spending more and will get great confidence from your chosen technology. I dont blame you if it means you feel more able to fish but its not for me.

Id prefer to spend my time and energy investing in reading and research into a better hooklink, presentation or bait. The alarms quite frankly are about the last thing I think about.

G.

captain carrott

Reaction score
mine were bought because they had the set of features that i wanted, were a reputable design, had good reviews for reliability and were at the right price at the time

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
noknot....apologies for the misquote....tried and well tested on an excellent website....just wish I could justify still more outlay..looks like a Christmas jobie from the wife!

pelican5

Reaction score
hi all
i have the fox str's, i was going away for the weekend and wanted a set that came with a reciever,dont really use the reciever much now though. i got the str's off e-bay at what i thought was a reasonable price. i got 2 fox micron s alarms 10 years ago and they are still going strong,my volumes are always at lowest and i also think it should be legal to shoot tarts who have their alarms set to loudest so everybody hears them setting their bobbins,maybe a 20mm boilie in the catapult could do it!!!
i do believe it comes down to budget and personal preference. ive had nothing but good service from my fox's so i dont see the need to change.

noknot

Reaction score
Hi Gentle,

There is a big difference between waterproof, and water resistant, and on long winter, or wet sessions that difference is crucial, even more so on rock hard waters where every beep counts.:)

quickcedo

Reaction score
I've got the best alarms money can buy!
There called Centre pin reels. nice loud ratchet too so everyone knows I've caught something.
Now I think about it, there aint alot of difference really.

gentle

Reaction score
Hi Gentle,

There is a big difference between waterproof, and water resistant, and on long winter, or wet sessions that difference is crucial, even more so on rock hard waters where every beep counts.:)

Breaking the ice on a lake in the middle of winter for 3 days in arctic conditions????

Im no stranger to hard waters.

Maybe i could get more bites with better alarms. Ive fished with other peoples in tough situations and not seen any better performance. Maybe its a confidence thing or maybe it truly is a technological trick im missing. I guess I need more blanks to convince me.

cg74

Reaction score
I've got the best alarms money can buy!
There called Centre pin reels. nice loud ratchet too so everyone knows I've caught something.
Now I think about it, there aint alot of difference really.

Ah yeah but no audible registration on drop backs;);). Plus hampster wheels struggle to cast 80+ yards:p.

blankmeister

Reaction score
it should also be legal to shoot people who don't turn their alarms off when they're goign to pratt about for 10 minutes setting their swingers to exactly the same height.
Abso-bleedin-lutely. Drives me mental. Don't these people realise how annoying they are (no obviously not!!)

cg74

Reaction score
sensitivity controls are only any use for people who use alarms on running water,

if you only fish for carp on still waters then you can use the cheap stuff perfectly happily.

if on the other hand you're going to be using them on running water the more advanced features have a use. as does the running tension wheel on your baitrunner.

volume controls should on the other hand, be mandatory and all alarms should be designed to switch on at minimum possible volume and require you to actively turn them up.

it should also be legal to shoot people who don't turn their alarms off when they're goign to pratt about for 10 minutes setting their swingers to exactly the same height.

Personally, I turn the sensitivity down if using a method feeder and up if using a bog standard bolt rig.

But what if a slow plodding sideways take happens, where the hooked up fish won't run off, rather inching along slowly keeping the line tension fairly constant.... IMO it pays off having versatility, cos not everyone is a one toner.

Very right on your thoughts over the underlined section, alternatively cut their bloody hands off!!:eek::D

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of problems with water ingress with the cheaper alarms. Saying that I had fox alarms which used to conk out whenever it rained hard so switched to Delkims and they've been great...no conking out...up to now.
My m8 has the sundridge alarms which where less than a ton for three colour coded with wireless transmitter and free alloy case.....they've been brilliant up to now. If I ever get any more it will be the sundridge ones !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having switched from Fox STR's to Delkim Txi-Plus I've been a lot happier! My STR's were not all that reliable in the really wet weather in my opinion, as well as the perceived sensitivity problems.

Personally I think it is down to the confidence in the kit that one is using.

It is 'nice' to use the latest 'colours' for the LED's but that is just a fashion 'thing' it is the basic alarm's specifications that is the real selling point.

pelican5

Reaction score
my str's have been fine in wet weather but i havent been out in really bad conditions and having a wife and baby i dont get out as much as id like to.
i did look at the delkins but as the thread asks i couldnt justify the money for them although if i do get £300-500 spare i'll think about it although im sure the wife will find something else worth buying instead!!!

quickcedo

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of problems with water ingress with the cheaper alarms. Saying that I had fox alarms which used to conk out whenever it rained hard so switched to Delkims and they've been great...no conking out...up to now.
My m8 has the sundridge alarms which where less than a ton for three colour coded with wireless transmitter and free alloy case.....they've been brilliant up to now. If I ever get any more it will be the sundridge ones !

I also own the sundridge ones with the reciever. They've been great. 9v battery (easy to get and lasts forever) and at £89 for 3 plus the reciever you can't ask for more.:)
CG 74 just coz you cant cast a pin 80yds don't mean I cant!:wh

cg74

Reaction score
I also own the sundridge ones with the reciever. They've been great. 9v battery (easy to get and lasts forever) and at £89 for 3 plus the reciever you can't ask for more.:)
CG 74 just coz you cant cast a pin 80yds don't mean I cant!:wh

Mark, TBH I couldn't tell you whether or not I can cast even 8 yards let alone 80 with one of those hampster wheels cos I ain't ever used one.

But if this rain keeps coming I'll be down your way on Friday to sneak me first Cherwell barbel of this season, saying that if conditions are right I may be out Saturday evening too.;)
So you'll be able to enlighten me further, eh.:eek::D

(Still tipping down up with me):)

quickcedo

Reaction score
Good luck! I heard that one or two have shown on Kidlington, but haven'y seen or heard of one at my end for a while now. I don't believe there are any in Tackley stretch, and not seen any around "Smith's" island this year. So I think your search may be a long one.
If you want river levels at any time just shout and I'll look out the window.

Last edited: