Is it possible to stock predator fish species from other countries to England?

steve2

Reaction score
Judging by the amount of illegal stocking of foreign Carp, Catfish etc that as taken place I would say legally no, illegally yes.
Wouldn’t be surprised if some weren’t here already.

liphook

Reaction score
I remember reading as a boy about a population of pumpkinsed somewhere in southern England. I know populations of black bass have been established in Spain and Morocco but can anybody confirm that they made it into the to the UK?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I remember reading as a boy about a population of pumpkinsed somewhere in southern England. I know populations of black bass have been established in Spain and Morocco but can anybody confirm that they made it into the to the UK?

Black bass are present in France, I've been lead to believe they struggle to survive north of Paris due to the cold winters. If correct it would mean that black bass wouldn't be able to survive in the UK.

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Most of you know of the many freshwater species fished for in the U.S., many of which were imported years ago and which spread to many states. Other than coarse fish, it doesn't seem you have much variety and lure use takes a back seat to live bait.

Just wondering.

Spoonminnow, yes it's true that the Uk has a fairly small number of fish species compared to the US.

The reason is that the US is 40 times the size of the UK and has a five climatic regions - Mild climate, Steppe (prairie) climate, Desert, Continental and Mountainous. By comparison the UK has just one climate, Mild (warm and wet). So over millions of years, many different fish species have evolved in the US to exploit the wide range of habitats and climates available.

Another factor is that until about 8,000 years or so, what we now call the British Isles was part of the European mainland. Species could migrate freely across north west Europe. When the ice age finished and the glaciers melted, sea levels rose, the land joining UK to the mainland flooded, and the British Isles was created. Generally after the end of the ice age, I believe that the British Isles had a smaller variety of plants and animals than further south on the mainland of Europe.

It's highly unlikely that the Environment Agency (a government supported body) would allow the introduction of foreign fish species into the British Isles, because it's impossible to predict the likely effect of new species on indigenous species.

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
It's a pretty well established fact that if you introduce non-native species to an environment they can wreak havoc with the indigenous wildlife.

Examples include the introduction of rats to many Pacific and Indian Ocean islands by way of sailing ships in the 17th and 18th centuries. They wiped out a lot of indigenous wildlife. Rabbits introduced to Australia caused serious problems and are still a pest there. And in Britain The North American grey squirrel and North American signal crayfish have out-competed and infected our indigenous species, causing serious concern about eventual total extinction from the wild.

Even scientists and naturalists acknowledge that they cannot predict all of the consequences of introducing new species to an ecosystem. My very strong view is that humans do enough damage to the planet as it is. We should leave well alone.

Philip

Reaction score
Black bass are present in France, I've been lead to believe they struggle to survive north of Paris due to the cold winters. If correct it would mean that black bass wouldn't be able to survive in the UK.

I know a couple of waters a little north of Paris with a good head of Black Bass so its not impossible they could estabish themselves in some UK waters although I would tend to agree with you and say its probably getting to around their limit.

Not knocking Bass but I have to say I prefer our own Perch...they look nicer too imo.