Is it right?

richiekelly

Reaction score
there is the other side of the coin, fishing with tackle that isnt up to the fish/swim being targeted, i have seen some very bad instances of this mostly with barbel and carp where the tackle being used meant that the fish was played for much longer than it should have been, its unfair on the fish and as far as i am concerned worse than using tackle that some may think is over the top, barbel are probably the worst fish to fight on unsuitable tackle,one instance i saw led to the fish being released and going belly up, my oldest son went into the trent to recover the fish which was ok after being given time to recover,something that all anglers dont do but more neccesary when a fish has been played for a long time on unsuitable tackle.

chav professor

Reaction score
So are you saying you must land your fish from the swim fished?

No, just a plan to land it. Something we all apply - common sense. I can see one 'swim' that would involve me probably 'going in' to land it - but that can be a plan (that will be one of those lovely chub I took pics of the other day.

I am also quite happy to play and land big chub on lines of 1lb14oz/2lb if it looks OK. In some ways, they can come in like pussy cats on lighter lines. Show them the handle - and they do pull back (but not as hard as carp cg75;)).

A

alan whittington

No, just a plan to land it. Something we all apply - common sense. I can see one 'swim' that would involve me probably 'going in' to land it - but that can be a plan (that will be one of those lovely chub I took pics of the other day.

I am also quite happy to play and land big chub on lines of 1lb14oz/2lb if it looks OK. In some ways, they can come in like pussy cats on lighter lines. Show them the handle - and they do pull back (but not as hard as carp cg75;)).

Agree with that 100% Chav.

chav professor

Reaction score
there is the other side of the coin, fishing with tackle that isnt up to the fish/swim being targeted, i have seen some very bad instances of this mostly with barbel and carp where the tackle being used meant that the fish was played for much longer than it should have been, its unfair on the fish and as far as i am concerned worse than using tackle that some may think is over the top, barbel are probably the worst fish to fight on unsuitable tackle,one instance i saw led to the fish being released and going belly up, my oldest son went into the trent to recover the fish which was ok after being given time to recover,something that all anglers dont do but more neccesary when a fish has been played for a long time on unsuitable tackle.

I thought all trent anglers used 15lb line, 10oz feeders and 2.75lb test curve rods up in the air like javelins;)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Lets be honest here, we dont always catch or hook what we are after. Last year I was float fishing for Tench almost under my rod tip. The Tench on average go arond 6lb, the lake has little weed and very few snags.

the swim I was fishing had no snags, 5lb main line 3lb hook link, i had landed a number of Tench to almost 7lb already, when BANG.

I hooked into something, i dont know how long I had the fish on, but by the time I landed it there were a few of my mates around to see what it was.

A Pike of 13lb 9ozs, on double Red Maggot 16 hook and hooked right in the scissors of the mouth, and landed 2 swims down, thanks to clear banks.

How do you allow for that when fishing ??

chav professor

Reaction score
Lets be honest here, we dont always catch or hook what we are after. Last year I was float fishing for Tench almost under my rod tip. The Tench on average go arond 6lb, the lake has little weed and very few snags.

the swim I was fishing had no snags, 5lb main line 3lb hook link, i had landed a number of Tench to almost 7lb already, when BANG.

I hooked into something, i dont know how long I had the fish on, but by the time I landed it there were a few of my mates around to see what it was.

A Pike of 13lb 9ozs, on double Red Maggot 16 hook and hooked right in the scissors of the mouth, and landed 2 swims down, thanks to clear banks.

How do you allow for that when fishing ??

You can't - but it is fun when it happens:D last season 18lb carp using JohnAllerton 20ft rod, centre pin reel and 4lb line straight through when long trotting for chub. It took me on a very long walk downstream.

Funny thing Ray, I always seem to get pike when fishing lobworms for some reason when tenching - wouldnt get too many bites if I was to use 12lb line and a wire trace:D:D:D Also, a matchman caught a 27lb pike on one of our lakes this winter on the pole using red maggots - he somehow managed to land it!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I still say a lot of this is down to ignorance , I have been targeting a giant carp that lurks underneath the boards in the canal basin near the art gallery in walsall , I see him every day on the way home from work on my bike.
When I first thought about catching him a few months ago , I was considering using very heavy tackle to hit and hold him, now I have fished more and caught bigger fish , I realise as soon as he is hooked he's going to wrap himself right around these boards - so I have decided to let him be.

Great fish though

sagalout

Reaction score
Now back to the topic, has this guy been seen doing the same thing again yet or not ???
I have not seen him since talking to a club official, but that may be coincidence.

chav professor said:
maybe he was giving line and was only speeding along the bank to reach a better vantage to play the fish?
No, he is dragging the fish, when a pastie is on the hook it skims across the surface behind him as he runs.

chav professor

Reaction score
It is difficult when you see something that is not right - often these so called anglers are so adament that what they are doing is fine they are ignorant to the pontential damage they are causing and put there parts on when you mention it.

On one of my club lakes i was chatting to an angler whilst walking around the lake stalking with a 'light set up' (the carp go to just under 20lb - but there are one or two much bigger fish that go to 34lb) but adequate to land the fish. this angler had a small group of carp feeding at his feet and we sat watching them feed on his bait - carp around 3-4lb. One of his 3lb test rods complete with big pit set up just resting the bait in the margins. He told me it was mad using light tackle because there are some lumps in the lake. He got prickly when I returned the responce that why should he need such heavy gear if he was fishing in the margins.

I was moving to have a look in the next swim and he had a third rod set up in the snaggy corner about 15m away. we had the discussion about how would he land one of these lumps - he said he would have to 'peg it' to the rod................. You could tell from his defensive behaviour it was a waste of time bringing it up in civil conversation.

For some people it is a fish at all costs. I can only imagine when he does finally 'connect' with a carp there will be pics on his mobile phone and he'll think he knows what he is doing............... reported it to our Club secretary. I wonder what will happen, but because we are struggling for members - it won't be too harsh.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"No, he is dragging the fish, when a pastie is on the hook it skims across the surface behind him as he runs. "

And to think I thought he might know what he's doing!
If he tries that with a salmon, he could find himself going downstream over a weir or two, "bump, bump on the back of his head" like Pooh, until he evolves enough brain to let go of the rod.
And the sooner, the better.

Last edited: