Is the art of float fishing slowly diminshing?

J

john ledger

Fish for bites and then fish for fish Andy its the best way of fishing for a new starter.
Do not be scared of asking for help as there are hundreds of us on FM only to willing to give it. If you dont want to come on a thread Email we will always answer.

F

Feeling tranquil

Good lad Andy - learning watercraft will catch you more fish and of a better stamp in the long run than the instant hit gained at the commercial end of things. Once you've got the river ingrained in you, you'll never escape!

Y

yoggy

John,i"ll definatly let you know how i get on cheers mate.My mate Kev thought i was absolutly bonkers paying that for a rod.I tried to explain to him why i paid this much,regarding quality etc..but he just wouldn"t have it!!!!!...but then again he aint a fisherman!!..but he thinks nothing of spending 50quid on going to a footy match on a saturday afternoon.....he said this was different!!!!!!??.....yeah right!!.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
do what i do...shove it in the boot of the car and tell the missus youve had it for ages....tut tut tut and you being an honest upstanding member of the community!!!

thats exactly what i do john....ho ho ho

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There appears to be a gap in the market for "pre-aged" rod-bags... "Realcrud"?

Or just smear it with mashed bread and it will look older than you in seconds.

J

jason fisher

alan give one to me 3 sessions and it will appear to be at least 30 years old.

J

jason fisher

they have to stay in the boot for 3 sessions that's all, what am i saying i don't have to hide it from the wife anmore aint got a wife to hide it from

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"Once you've got the river ingrained in you, you'll never escape!"

I've never heard a truer word spoken!
The smell of the river at daybreak, the dawn chorus and the anticipation.
I got lured away from rivers in search of carp and tench, probably for three years.
This season I'm back!
I'm looking forward to Autumn and Winter, running a float through the swim, chub and roach, God I've missed it!

Andy, same as John, feel free to e-mail, always willing to help a fellow angler.
;-)

J

jason fisher

stick float fishing is probably the hardest form of the sport to truly master, the thing is you need the correct conditions and it doesn't always work so many people just don't bother.

Y

yoggy

I agree totally jason,there are times when i often plan a days stick float fishing many days in advance,come the day to go its all gone "tits-up" weather wise,its so bloody frustrating.Dog Biscuit...welcome back to the rivers mate!!!.Thats a long time to not fish a river mate!!..didn"t you miss it at any time during those 3 years?.I to fish for gravel pit Tench etc,but i couldn"t leave it that long,you must have been totally engrossed in what you were doing?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I did fish the river about four or five times I think, but my mate wanted to fish commercials and other stillwaters, we did alright.
I told him "this season I'm back on the rivers" He's ok, after a couple of trips he was thinking like me!
Peace and quiet, and wild fish!
The lakes will now take the role of back-up, for when the river is flooded, or specific trips for tench and carp.
For anglers brought up on commercials, with no experience of rivers, they will never know what they are missing. I was lucky that I was brought up on the river.
Anyway, looking forward to a week on the Stour in september.
;-)

J

john ledger

Jason is correct regarding conditions its just in my case if i can shove a stick through a swim i will.Obviously as i have got holder my eyesight is not what it once was but i feel less tired watching the float even though i shot it down to a blip than watching the tip.
The last few weeks i have been barbel fishing so its been the tip and i have gone home tired(could be the 3am start)
Think that when watching the float my eyes are moving all the time hence lees tiredness.The constant looking at the tip has the opposite effect(or so it seems)

Y

yoggy

Hi john,,just to let you know i"ve now had a couple of sessions with the new preston rod..its fantastic,,what a difference its made to my trotting,i didn"t realise that the extra length could make such a vast difference..i wish i"d have bought one yonks ago....cheers for the advice.

J

john ledger

Yoggy
You cannot beat a little bit extra so long as it does not bend in the middle