Is the EA Fit for Purpose?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I haven't read all this yet as I thought it would just be another full on civil service bash but I would offer the coment , maybe again , that Civil Servants are subject to the whims of their political masters who often change and change their mind.

Look at teachers so bound by oftsed paperwork that they have no time to teach.

cg74

Reaction score

So cg74....pray tell us what you would replace it with, what would be its (new) roles and responsibilities, its national and regional structure, staffing levels (+ or -) what operating budget would it require and where that money come from?

:wh

Sorry for the lateness of my reply, an oversight on my part.

So where pray tell did I say the EA needed replacing? :wh

I said it's not fit for purpose; and IMO it is not!

The Environment Agency's stated purpose is:
"to protect or enhance the environment, taken as a whole"

And it's pledge to angling:
"to manage maintain and improve fisheries"

I've never seen a get out clause to excuse the failing rivers of Oxfordshire, which have deteriorated year on year since the agency was formed in 1996, to the point where it's now a case of how many miles need to be electro fished to find a single fish!

I am primarily referring to the rivers Cherwell, Windrush, Thame and Evenlode, though much of the Thames upstream of Oxford is pretty sparsely stocked.

Why such a monumental crash in fish stocks; over abstraction, poor land management, agri chemicals, sewage discharge - All of which is the EA's responsibility...

This level of ineptitude comes from the top and filters through to the men in the field, that's not to say there aren't plenty of good men (and women) in the agency but they are constantly stifled in their effectiveness.

A prime example of this is the Canal and River Trust's water abstraction licence - There isn't one, they are free to take however much they want and the amount doesn't even need to be quantified.

All down to a DEFRA ruling to aid the C&RT's transition from a Quango to a charity.

A thorough appraisal and shake up is desperately needed, it might help if some involved learn about candour.

mick b

Reaction score
Hi cg74
I was unaware of the problems your rivers have.

Have you thought of joining the Cotswold Rivers Trust, you could then direct your concerns and maybe even get involved yourself?

Although the populations of some river species appear to be cyclical I know of no scientific studies on the subject, although anecdotal evidence points to rapid decline followed by a very slow recovery (sometimes decades).

I hope things improve for you this coming season.