Is there any form of angling

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
I

Ian Cloke

The only style of fishing I can honestly say I loathe is, floating pole method. What skill is required? what is the poit of it? I've seen quite a few "anglers" lose their top 3, when using this method. So why not use a waggler, or would that be too taxing????

Clikfire

Reaction score
Sea fishing because I am no good at it.

Fluff chucking because it bores me and I can't sit down and fully relax. Oh I'm not much good at it either.

Can't understand peoples problem with commerials, if you don't like them don't go!
The people who do go won't be hassleing you on your very hard / very special stretch of river, everyones happy.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Clikfire, I don't have a problem with commercials per se: I started fishing at Witherington, and loved it, but then it is well stocked with many species. I seem to remember the third lake up was good for tench.

G

Ged

Never done match fishing, I take too long in setting up and need to be comfy. Trolling from a boat. Boring.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Match fishing. I used to do a lot of it at one time but got p****d off with all the backbiting and secret squirrel attitude of the other contestants.
As for game fishing I agree that if you're going after blue marlin or bluefin tuna (special license needed for bluefins in florida) then you're going to need heavy gear. After all we're talking about fish that can weigh over 1,000 lbs but I've fished for striped marlin and yellowfin tuna with a 15-20lb class rod and 20lb line. My biggest marlin was about 200lb and the biggest tuna 85lb. When fishing for tarpon it's usually a 25lb class rod and 30lb line and my biggest fish so far is 190 lb.
Apart from the match fishing there's no other kind I don't like and Ron, that includes sharks. Black tips and spinners fight as hard as tarpon.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Clikfire,
I do have a prob' with commercials, it aint fishing!
It suits a lot, but not me!
No skill required! At all!
Get on the river with me and have a few blanks, it makes catching sweeter!
Not that I blank too often, but it brings it home.

Skill and water craft!

N

NottmDon

Ocean going trawling with miles of nets and bottom dragging weights that scoop everything up, a lot of which is thrown back dead because of stupid EU rulings.
Apart from that I like all forms of angling/fishing including the ones I've not yet had a go at.However like a previous poster I will forgoe the excitement of the floating pole,I'd sooner watch paint dry. :)

colsmiff

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the floating pole? It is often mentioned but never described.

Beastie

Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of any kind of pole fishing. I'm a rod and reel purist.

Don't like the idea of Specimen Carp hunting either, the whole setup just bores me...although I've never actually tried it!

Clikfire

Reaction score
Steve,

Definition of the word fishing:

"Fishing is a term applied to any activity which aims to capture fish or shellfish for subsistence, scientific, commercial or recreational purposes."

Therefore when on a commerical lake it is fishing ;-)

If I end up down your neck of the woods Steve, and with my life going how it is at the moment anythings possible. I would be happy to join you on a river session, I would soon start to scare the gudgeon and perch!

I did start out on rivers when I was a kid. But now like to set up my tackle while someone cooks me a breakfast, I throw in some bait and listen out for the horn to tell me its ready. Nice food, hot cup of coffee, pee in a toilet. Then stroll back to fish. May be its a bit like when people say "to enjoy the countryside you have to camp in it". Not for me, the countryside is nice but after enjoying it I would rather go back to a hotel room, have a shower and talk about what we have seen over a nice meal.

T

Tony Rocca

Might be fishing but is it angling?

Just to confuse matters.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All forms of angling are okay whatever your preference, it is up to the individual.
The only thing I don't like about it is the angst that comes with most forms of any dicipline.

A bit of angst is fine, but for it to be continual is a pain in the butt (at times).

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Clickfire,
Fair shout mate, I just feel commercials have tempted a lot of anglers away from rivers, mainly youngsters.
But each to his own and that leaves more space for me on the river. ;-)
I would be more than happy to share a river session with you, but don't expect gudgeon and perch, it would be chub, barbel, roach and bream.

Good luck mate.

Colsmiff, as I understand it, floating pole is when you lay the pole on the water. No float, just line from the end of the pole to the hook. You then feed pellets/maggots or whatever at the end of the pole and wait for it to pull round!
If the fish swims directly away from you, there is a chance the top three sections can get pulled off.

N

NottmDon

Floating pole= 20 plus metres of floppy carbon literally floated on a lake surface, some elastic and a short length of line to which is attached a hook and your bait.The rest as described by DB. A real exciting development to this "fun to watch" method is the inclusion of a float made from a candle so that you can actually watch your bite develop? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Suppose it beats counting sheep if you cant sleep lol. Each to their own by all means but this method in the parlance of the youngsters today "sucks"!

colsmiff

Reaction score
Ahh, yes I can see the attraction. lol
Thing is if I take up that method my missus will sell all my waggler and feeder rods!! Then again she would probably just bags them for her own use!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I don't like catching Eels when fishing for other species.

I don't like catching identical Carp of any size from a commercial. I find it boring.

I don't like the idea of killing the fish I catch should I take up fly fishing.

I don't like unhooking Pike or even the way they look!

I don't like catching poisonous fish from the sea. Or fish that look poinonous!

I can think of many more things I do like!

(ps. Some of you have got it wrong about commercials and pole fishing. There is some skill involved - often lots. It's not my sort of fishing though.)