It's going to fish this weekend

fred hall

Reaction score
Days off?

The whole Country is going to rack and ruin, and there you are taking days off?

Ha! The economy is deep in the brown and sticky stuff, and you take a day off?

Get back to work . . . . . . so speaks a poor wage slave who has been in the office for the past hour already . . . . . .

A bluidy day off? I should cocoa!

Mind you, if you do venture out, then "Tight Lines"
God, I feel guilty for having retired.

flightliner

Reaction score
This weekend will fish I,m sure, but the fishing is really good right now. Yesterday I went out on my favourite river and it was a bite a throw. I had a big catch of fish, simple leger tactics with lobworm, sitting on your hands to let the bite develop and round the tip would go, they were NOT letting go. I had a bag of big fat winter redfins all but a few were over the pound. I dont think ive ever had so many in one day over this weight from this particular water. I,ve had bigger weights of fish many times but this was really really special. As the light started to go the roach faded away surprisingly and the bream moved in.Got some lovely pics of the roach- :w:w:w

richiekelly

Reaction score
having a go at the zander again tomorrow with the long range rig,this time i will be taking my pva tape with me.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Days off?

The whole Country is going to rack and ruin, and there you are taking days off?

Ha! The economy is deep in the brown and sticky stuff, and you take a day off?

Get back to work . . . . . . so speaks a poor wage slave who has been in the office for the past hour already . . . . . .

A bluidy day off? I should cocoa!

Mind you, if you do venture out, then "Tight Lines"

Point of order....the original reply looks as if its ME that's got a day off when its actually Ol' Knobby Knees. I've been at work today taking calls from my so called mate who has been sat on my zander swim bagging up all day. :eek:

chav professor

Reaction score
There, Friday fishing when you guys were working - (I'm a part/time Idler;) - poor but happy:))

Just 3 chub to 3lb1oz............ Hope to hear your back on the bank soon S-Kippy! I don't think this weekend was all it was cracked up to be on my river, anyhow..... warm, bit of colour - but little flow. Gave up on trotting, could hold bottom with a single swan shot.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Oh I will be out again soon no fear of that,Christian.

This weekend is just one of those ones where you have to grit your teeth & think of the Brownie points you're accumulating. 3 birthday meals,boy to football and finish off Sunday evening by running the girl & her mates back to Uni in Soton...got to be worth a couple of trips at least !

My boss is away next week too....I feel unwell already:D

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Just back from an afternoon on the Swale with Deanos. It was hard going, but worth it:

11022011137.jpg

10lb 11oz

An epic battle on light takle!

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Nothing as exciting for me today. Realised I forgot my landing net after I lugged my stuff to the other side of the lake so had to go home and get it. Then took my top kits out only to find the elastic had perished in both, which annoyed me as it clear and windless, bang on for the pole. However once I set my float rod up it's now 1.30. Despite all this I winkled out a bag of roach, a few rather large gudgeon and two nice perch of about half a pound or so. One small carp but out done by fishing buddy who bagged more plus a 3lb chub and two carp to 4lb. Nice day once I got started.

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
Going down to the Kentish Stour tomorrow but had a look at a few spots today.

Its carrying alot of colour and pushing through but I've found a few slacks and eddys and got a ton of lobworm to chop, some liquid worm attractant, and a little groundbait, as long as Im judicious with the feed and keep mobile Im confident I'll have a good day.

Given the colour I wont be being too selective especially as everything loves a good worm. Big Chub, Roach, Dace, Barbel, Perch and Bream are all a possibillity.

Well done to everyone whos had a few on this thread already.

Tight lines everyone!

sagalout

Reaction score
I had more small roach and perch (up to 6oz) than you can shake a big stick at and lost two bigger fish (carp or tench, one due to the number 6 elastic not really being up to the job, and the other the hook link broke [must have been damaged]).

The pike where having it large, at least once an hour my swim erupted into a shower of silvers as they attacked. I had left me traces at home, stupid boy! But next week, look out pike!

chav professor

Reaction score
Super set up Sean - those old abidex reels really are the buisiness, I use them over any shimano and smoother than the mitchells.

Lovely fish BTW!!:)

Just thought! the weekend is young!!!!! Saturday night chubbing............... and them half term next week................ lol

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Great barbel sean :)

After the excitement of the pike, im off too fish for chub and barbel on a small stream.

Tight lines everybody :)

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
Not avon a good day!

River had risen even higher today but tackled up with joy in my heart. 3 hours later with only one small Eel to show for my efforts I hooked into a snag.

Pulling on my new avon rod with as much side strain as I could to on 6lb line my rod gave an almighty crack sound and snapped in half. Gutted! :mad::(

I then realised that I had lost my phone Arrrgh!:mad: 1 hour and a miles trekking later I found it thank god. I must have tried 8 or 9 different spots with ledger feeder and float at different depths with bread and worm today but all I added to my catch was 2 smallish Dace.

Some days are just there to make the good ones seem better I suppose:rolleyes:

flightliner

Reaction score
River had risen even higher today but tackled up with joy in my heart. 3 hours later with only one small Eel to show for my efforts I hooked into a snag.

Pulling on my new avon rod with as much side strain as I could to on 6lb line my rod gave an almighty crack sound and snapped in half. Gutted!

I then realised that I had lost my phone Arrrgh! 1 hour and a miles trekking later I found it thank god. I must have tried 8 or 9 different spots with ledger feeder and float at different depths with bread and worm today but all I added to my catch was 2 smallish Dace.

Some days are just there to make the good ones seem better I suppose

Sorry to hear about the bad day, but the lost phone must have been a worry till you found it. I have never fished the kentish Stour tho I once drove past it back in the nineties while on holiday in the county(now why should a Yorkie need to go anywhere for a holiday 'cept Yorkshire?---- lol while putting on the old tin hat!) Seriously it looked really nice and I would have loved to have had an opportunity to fish it but there you go. "Plucks Gutter" comes to mind-- what a lovely name for a venue,

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the bad day, but the lost phone must have been a worry till you found it. I have never fished the kentish Stour tho I once drove past it back in the nineties while on holiday in the county(now why should a Yorkie need to go anywhere for a holiday 'cept Yorkshire?---- lol while putting on the old tin hat!) Seriously it looked really nice and I would have loved to have had an opportunity to fish it but there you go. "Plucks Gutter" comes to mind-- what a lovely name for a venue,

Plucks Gutter is a great spot for a net full at any time of year with loads of Roach, Bream, Perch, and big Pike to 30lb in residence. Its also free fishing along part of it. Never really thought about the name but it does sound lovely. as do Grove Ferry and Port Farm which are other notable stretches on the tidal section.

I was fishing on the upper reaches around Canterbury yesterday though having had a 2lb 2oz roach there the previous sunday but the fish there while generally bigger are much more spread out and my watercraft was unfortunately no match for the flood water.

If your ever back down this way pm me and Ill be happy to give you the lowdown on a few waters :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Plucks Gutter and Grove Ferry on the tidal Medway.............well that certainly bought back memories for me!
I haven't seen these names for 55 years or more when my club used to run a coach down that way(way,way before the M25 so a very long hike!!)..................not easy to fish as an occasional visitor(after fishing the Thames)but from memory some very good roach came out.
Also fished Vauxhall lakes back then...

Always nice to have a look back so thanks for that!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I spent a glorious fishign day Saturday running around after the wife and kids (chauffuers day off) and I spent Sunday watching the rain falling (I didn't go fishing)

Let all the family know next weekend I'm going the first go day - looked on Metcheck and next weekend's weather will be rain ans sleet - deep joy:mad:

flightliner

Reaction score
If your ever back down this way pm me and Ill be happy to give you the lowdown on a few waters
Thats a very kind offer Rudd, I will bear it in mind. I didnt know some of it was free. Lovely county by the way, and the castle at Dover is just awesome, definately not to be missed, as is the cathederal at canterbury.If you,re ever up around the Trent I,ll give you a few pointers by way of a return.

rudd enthusiast

Reaction score
Hate to be pedantic Tee-Cee but Grove Ferry is on the Kentish Stour near Sturry. Still as you say it has been 50 odd years :) Never got the chance to fish Vauxhall lake as it became a dedicated nature reserve some years back now but there used to be some great tench fishing on there I have been told.

Thank you for your kind offer too Flightliner. I havn't been up your way since I was a kid but it is Gods own county for the scenery alone and the Trent is legendary so who knows. It would be great to get up north again I love it! :)