IYCF Letters pages...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have spoken with a few non anglers and most understand taking a fish for the pot and find that OK, it's catching for fun and putting them back to be caught again that most who are antifind objectionable.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
that fair enough Ray - it's just my opinion that putting up "best ways to cook" fish be it carp, pike or Zeds is adding fuel to the flame

How would people react if someone put up a "best way to cook duck" on he RSPB (hope that's right - the royal protction of birds thingy" website - and if the duck was shot within season with a correct licence - they's still get slammed - we do ourselvesno favours as angler

Any way my final post on this subject

preston96

Reaction score
I'm surprised you killed a 10lb Zander Ron..........

I have no problem with someone who genuinly likes to eat the odd one taking a fish of say 4lb maximum from a prolific water, but 10lb is imo a bit over the top.

Tony, i have had a big Z die on me too, dispite drastic efforts to save it.

Woody.........why would he be sorry? some of us actually like fishing for Zander.....i'm doing just that tomorrow, they are just another fish, but of course you know they are demon fish that obliterate a water.......and you have told us all many times how clever you are!

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Ron makes his batter in a cement mixer, one load covers a 40 foot Zed, just</blockquote>
I know you do (know) Ray.....but i'm wondering how many know what Ron meant?

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader> Lord Paul of Sheffield (DFKDFC) (SSDD) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

my own view is it give the anti fish lot ammo either way - best to to what you wish ( as long as it's legal ) and keep quiet about it - putting post up on an open forum does no good as far as I'm concerned</blockquote>

Paul, as has often been said on here and in the press by great anglers such as Marsden, the anti-angling brigade would be anti-angling whatever we did. The danger is that you are holding them in such high esteem and thereby saying that you acknowledge their views on our sport and wish to mollify them.

DON'T!

If you don't want to kill or eat a fish, that's fine, but talking about it here will do us no further harm whatsoever with the likes of P*TA.

F

Frothey

besides which, i dont think anyone cares if we kill and eat the fish, its the returning of fish for sport that they are bothered about.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The only time you read about anti anglers is when anglers talk about them, they are just small minded people with nothing better to do, most of the time free loaders and tree huggers

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Anti anglers; if it wasn't angling it would be something else these peoplewould be against. Unless they cause damage/commit an offence (unlawful) the best form of defenceof our fishing is to just ignore them. If they get no reaction they'llgive up and try some other target to get a reaction from. In the insect world they'd be a wasp; not much use for anything but a $loody irritant.

Most of the non angling British public think it strange that the majority of anglers DON'T kill their catch.

chub angler

Reaction score
we have that here as well John they cant understand why we put the fish back and say you might as well throw your money in the river.

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T. wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Anti anglers; if it wasn't angling it would be something else these peoplewould be against. Unless they cause damage/commit an offence (unlawful) the best form of defenceof our fishing is to just ignore them. If they get no reaction they'llgive up and try some other target to get a reaction from. In the insect world they'd be a wasp; not much use for anything but a $loody irritant.

Most of the non angling British public think it strange that the majority of anglers DON'T kill their catch.</blockquote>

Yes you are right, the non angling public do think it strange that we don't kill our catch....but thats because they know little about our pastime.

Hmmm.......perhaps those who condone killing ALL we catch of certain species know less than they think!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What is wrong with killing a 10 pound zander?

They are not indigenous to this country and some waters are solid with them. They are also excellent eating, even the big ones. I certainly don't eat (or did eat) as many zander a year as rainbow trout.

Fish are fish and whilst it has been many many years since I ever ate a roach or a dace, I have eaten the odd perch, eel or jack pike, I have eaten small carp and see absolutely nothing wrong with eating more, especially if caught from a clean water. Englandis heaving with carp and they need thinning out in my opinion.

And what's wrong with clonking a fish on the head?

It reminds me of the woman who performed and objectedat seeing me bash a nice rainbow with my heavy priest by the side of Draycote Water some years ago.What am I supposed to do, let the poor fish gasp it's last on the bank?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Carp are not indigenous to this Country, and the way they are taking over water, along with Barbel, you can eat as many as you like for all I care, Vermin both Species

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What is wrong with killing a 10 pound zander?

They are not indigenous to this country and some waters are solid with them. They are also excellent eating, even the big ones. I certainly don't eat (or did eat) as many zander a year as rainbow trout.

Fish are fish and whilst it has been many many years since I ever ate a roach or a dace, I have eaten the odd perch, eel or jack pike, I have eaten small carp and see absolutely nothing wrong with eating more, especially if caught from a clean water. Englandis heaving with carp and they need thinning out in my opinion.

And what's wrong with clonking a fish on the head?

It reminds me of the woman who performed and objectedat seeing me bash a nice rainbow with my heavy priest by the side of Draycote Water some years ago.What am I supposed to do, let the poor fish gasp it's last on the bank?</blockquote>

I'm surprised at you Ron........ A 10lbZander is a fish of a lifetime to many anglers and they are not put back like your trout are as you knock them on the head!!

No theres nothing wrong with eating more..IF the water is managed as a put and take water...........but stand up for your rights to kill and take whatever you like and we are all lost!!!

Do you think it will stop at the fish you personaly feel shouldn't be here? of course not!!

By all means take the odd fish from a prolific water......but 10lb+ Zander are NOT prolific!! and you may just end up upsetting the balance in a water that has, via nature found it's own way.

What with you condoning killing of Carp and Zander, Woody wanting to obliterate Z's /forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gifand now Ray seeing carp and barbel as vermin............perhaps you should all get out more?.................perhaps a Severn fish in?

I'll bring the human torso sized barby skewer,/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Carp, zander and barbel are on the kill lists above, and we know that killing catfish has been mentioned before on other threads, as have eels. And there must be hundreds of carpers who'd like to slit the throats of all the slimy bream and tench they catch.

The pikers and zed anglers will kill all the roach, and probably the perch, rudd, dace, cruciansand silver breamwhen they use them forlivebait, and the matchmen will drop-kick all the pike. So that leaves chub andgudgeon, and according to popular opinion the East Europeans will take care of those and any others the rest of us miss.

I feel a bit left out of the party; I like and fish forall species - I've got nothing to hate!

And if everyone who does hate one or more species has their way there'll be bugger-all left to catch.

How sad is that?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
All,

My comment about Carp and Barbel was over the top, hands up I was wrong saying that, tongue in cheek more than anything

I don't like to see any fish being killed, but I am as fed up with Carp and Barbel over running our waters, as I am people taking fish for the pot.

Some don't like Zeds, some don't like Pike, but these species don't eat everything swimming as some make out, and in many fisheries have given the water a better balance.

It's like the Barbel in still water vs river Barbel, to me, if you can put Barbel in a river where they are not indigenous, you can put them in still waters, there is no difference, they don't belong in either of them, do they.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
At the end of the day we just have to live with it and make the most of it.

Carp, zander, pike culling, barbel in stillwaters and non-eastern flowing rivers, bream and tench getting drop kicked.........etc etc

Think about it.........who messed up the natural balance of nature in the first place?

Us, we did, humans.

So accept it and get on with it and stop moaning!

Enjoy your fishing, I do......

W

Wolfman Woody

"10lb+ Zander are NOT prolific!! and you may just end up upsetting the balance in a water that has, via nature found it's own way."

How can they possibly be part of "the balance" when they are an alien species?

Presumably you're in favour of Turkish crayfish and red swamp crayfish and mitten crabs and lord knows how many other alien species nutters have introduced to our rivers - as well as catfish. Well as for catfish, that's ok so long as all you want to catch are 20lbs+ carp and catfish because there'll be sod all else left in the river.

"Woody wanting to obliterate Z's"

If you want zander in a lake that is fully enclosed, then fine. In a British river, no! Go to the Netherlands if you want to catch zander, they have hundreds of thousands of them.

preston96

Reaction score
Woody your thoughts belong in the 1940's.......and please dont tell me what i want... eg Turkish crays etc.

It is your style of argument to make others appear to have said something they have not.

The Z'z have found a balance because thats what nature does over a period of time, eg on my rivers.

I fish for ALL fish and no i don't want a water full of 20lb carp and nought else.......but i don't want to kill out a species that is both challenging and satisfing to catch to many anglers.....and more inportantly, is living and thriving alongside the other species on the waters i fish.

Your mentality will see us back to the 70's and dead stinking pike and zander corpes throw up the bank to stink and rot.......bloody pathetic!

n It makes me wonder if you really take in what is going on.....but then you don't fish the waters i do so can't really know sod all about them.