Jack Hargreaves

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[In a clipped, 1940s commentator-actor voice]

"Looking at this old film of Mr Jack Hargreaves fighting a human fish in the presence of some demned fine fillies always makes me feel v-e-rry v-e-rry heppy...."

Human Fish (1949) - YouTube

lambert1

Reaction score
Being also of a certain age, I remember Jack very well. Out of Town and Angling Today with Terry Thomas, were the only fishing programmes that I recall being shown then and Out of Town only had occasional fishing features. I could listen to Jack talking about anything though because he had the knack of making it interesting, which is a real gift. He did not suffer fools gladly though and I still recall one of his shows when a kid (probably now in his 50s) asked him to tell him all there was to know about Pike Fishing and Jack basically said what a bloody silly question. I still think of that kid watching the show and cringing.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reminds me of the story, a true one I understand, of Arthur Ransome, author of Swallows and Amazons (plus some of the very finest Angling writing of all time), being approached by a young fan (at the seaside, I think it was), just a child, wishing to tell him how much he / she loved Swallows and Amazons.

His reply?

"Booger off!"

slaphead

Reaction score
[In a clipped, 1940s commentator-actor voice]

"Looking at this old film of Mr Jack Hargreaves fighting a human fish in the presence of some demned fine fillies always makes me feel v-e-rry v-e-rry heppy...."

He looked a bit like Martin Bowler with short hair in those days, don't you think?