John Ledger Memorial Trophy

F

Fred Bonney

I was hopeing to make an evening of it,but I'll have to leave before they serve the big steaks.

Shame really I was going to prove it can be done!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

A last chance to meet an old friend before christmas, so a chinese calls at 8pm.

Beecy

Reaction score
A big well done to this years winner, Mark Hewitt

with a net of small roach anda little help from a spawny, suicidle, half blind, starvingbream that put mine and Nigels all-roach nets into 2nd & 3rd

Also well done to Sean who won Ron's special prize for 'dace of the day', although what the prize was i dont think anyone found out !

River didnt fish too well for usagain, but at least we had a nice day for it

Thanks to all who came, lets hope it wont be the last one and that we can all keep in touch whatever happens to the site. Hopefully that trophy will grace many more mantelpieces for years to come.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Well said Beecy and congrats to Mark (you spawny get!).

Hope you all had a great time, I've already seen the steaks and by all accounts they were a pound cheaper this year!

Fingers crossed we can make it next year. This is the John Ledger Memorial Trophy, long may it and the lovely memory of him continue.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I bet Mark was feeding the fish whist in his keepnet, just to get the weight up/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Well done to all....shame the credit crunch and my forthcoming reduantcy stopped us from attending this year, we had so much fun last year.

I can only second what Steve said...let's keep our fingers crossed we can make it next year to honour JL.

Beecy

Reaction score
Sorry, i forgot this bit...

Also a big well done to Nigel for the presentation he made to Graham, one of those times that you had to be there to appreciate it, to all of you whocontributed to the gift, take my word for it, nigel did you proud with his sincere words.

F

Fred Bonney

Well organised Dave a great day alround.

Sorry I couldn't stay for the 32 oz at £14.95, (I think) well worth, at least an effort, to eat some of it!

For the first 40 minutes I tried trotting, but my inexperience probably didn't help presentation. Then I remembered something Ron had said a while ago.So I float ledgered/stret pegged under my rod tip, and straight away was into a roach approaching a 1lb.Then at about 2.30 got another one to weigh in a total of 1lb 12ozs.

Tough day with a good few methods used to attract a bite. Well done Mark.

........and the sun shone all day!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Gutted i had to miss this especially with everything thats going on.

Glad to hear that you all ghad a great time. But then i have never heard of a bad FM fish in so its no suprise.

Well done to mark and i hope i will see you all next year.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I picked up stikflote from derby and headed of towards our destination ,down the country's hiways and byways .it was a pleasent journey ,well pleasent enough having to put up with my speed camera detector telling me too slow down every 5 min and the persuing arguments which followed poor keith (stikflote) must of thought i was mental ,talking back to a inanimate object !! and he's probably right.
100_0718.jpg

we arrived in time for brekkies ,a loverly full english very nice ,we made the draw ,I got a end peg !!! .walked the whole of the 100yds or so to the swim .greated upon my arrival by the robust Mr Banks
100_0712.jpg

who was collecting the peg fee's at a rate of 50 maggots per hour .I then carefully out my equipment all nicely stacket neatly and too hand
100_0714.jpg

everything had a place ,i fixed in the keepnet (netto £7.99) and my rodrest i went to put up my collapsable landing net andpromptly broke it ,Mrs banks wasn't happy with my language
100_0710.jpg

i set up a ledger outfit ,a 2oz bomb on a running ledger to 16's hook and single red maggot .
100_0716.jpg

next i set up a float rod and my okuma kennet ,fished with one of my own avons and again a 16's hook-2-nylon (same packet as my other set up) with maggot as bait .
100_0719.jpg

on the all in i chucked a couple of hands full of maggots in and began on the float ,if it wasn't for the awkward wind i would of casted to the far side but settled for mid river ,letting it trot through everso lightly held back with a dozen or so maggots every other cast .stuck too it for a hour with onlya few missed bites for my effort .

chavender

Reaction score
My net bag got blown into the water and i spent a while trying to hook it on my ledger rod but to no avail it eventually drifted down stream into the next peg and was rather expertly rescued for me by a seth armstrongs lookalike

100_0720.jpg

took a break to video my self casting with the okuma and showing the modification in a workingcontext ,no matter how bad or lapsed i cast the line failed to flip over the backplate ot tangle around the foot ,bit of a success .

I then switched to the ledger (shame i forgot too pack any small feeders) firstly i fixed the bait dropper too the float rig and popped in a couple loads of maggots .
100_0713.jpg

all though i missed more bites and i connected with i managed a net busting 5 roach for 12oz what a result ,much better than i managed last year

the weather started out ok ,with some bright sunshine and a moderate wind it was rather warm in fact apart from the artic windchill factor which would of been ok apart from the fact the wind couldn't make its mind up which direction it wanted to come from
100_0731.jpg

chavender

Reaction score
I returned to my peg in time to catch the last couple of my fish ,spent the last half hour back on the ledger
100_0730.jpg

and slowly packed away my stuff awaiting the all out and weigh in
100_0732.jpg

we then retired too a more hospitable place ,namely the pub
100_0734.jpg

100_0733.jpg

we all sat down to our meals of 32oz steaks ,well we had to redeem the honor of the FM Road show somehow ,after last years rather poor attempt (sorry steve!)
jlmatch00015.jpg

a good time was had by all ,we had a very enjoyable evening to end the day on ,me and keith headed off home to derbyshire

S

Sean Meeghan

Well how can I follow that! Thanks for organising it Dave. I must say it was a privilege to catch such a superb dace. What a pity I didn't have my scales and camera to hand. Ron's prize was sitting next to me in the pub and giving me the benefit of his reminiscences of a land far away where the sun always shines. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The steaks where lovely and the landlady remarked on the fact that we actually finished them this year.

stikflote

Reaction score
well it was an nice pleasent day ,i was pleased to meet all the lads ,tho my match was a none starter ,being told by my driver for the day Steve i wouldnt nedd much gear so i didnt take any groundbait no little feeders and no pole ,i never had a bite ,only bait i took was some maggots and some corn tho ide love to fish it again when its warmer ,im really glad i went ,it was a great day thanks all keith ,P.S i would take a better weigh net next time lol

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, particularly Dave B for the top-class organising.It was first class meeting up with you all and i also had the good fortune to draw the down-stream end peg which i proceeded to ruin.

Whatever i tried ,long trotting ,holding back hard, dragging the bottom, bomb, small maggot feeder etc etc was to no avail save for one suicidal roach but i consoled myself with the knowledge that we were all there to remember the great JL and im sure all of us felt the same.

Well done to Mark Dave and Nigel for their respectable catches on a hard day on an unforgiving river.

In an effort to redeem myself i took my left over bait down to my local river Don a couple of days later and managed 8 nice dace with a biggest of about 12oz in three hours which was a little consolation.

I sincerely hope that we can keep in touch given the current situation with FM and make thie meet a truly annual event. All the best Mick.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
PS .Well done to Fred and Sean for their "specimen roach and dace"/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Looks like you had a great time guys.

We will be there for sure next year and I reckon the 32ozer will be two quid cheaper!!!

Stay in touch guys.

Steve.

p.s. pm me if youneed my email addy or phone number.

F

Fred Bonney

Blimey is that all you get with a 32oz steak? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

No chips, 2 mushroom and a slice of tomato!

£2 cheaper and it'll be the horse, Steve!

We'll do it again, same place same date(ish), Ok Beecy?