JRC Roamer Dome

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these?.
Generally I'm looking for an inexpensive, light, quick to erect and waterproof option.
The ability to change shape to suit swim would also be advantageous.
Any ideas?

L

Les Clark

Tim,Nash profile oval,swear by it,easy to put up,strong,have had it about 4 year`s,don`t know what the price is now,about ?130,will last for year`s.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I'll have a look at some specs, thanks les.
Any opther suggestions or info about the roamer dome?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have the Roamer dome. Excellent had no problems with it. great for the short overnight session found it a little cramped when the weather came in on longer sessions though.

Tim where are you based if your anywhere near Blackburn i can lend you mine to try out for a session or two.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Doncaster area, but am considering visiting Bennets to see if they have one up, also Nash profile Oval.

Darren George

Reaction score
I use a JRC defender extreme for longer sessions, thinking about the fox oval plus or similar for shorter seshs or river trips.

The defender is a great bit of kit, not the quickest to erect due to twin skin, but great for longish stays. Keeps the weather off a treat. Dont know if thats what you're after though.

L

Les Clark

The nash profile is only a single skin, I have a problem sometime`s with condensation, but I use a water proof cover over my bed,so no ploblem`s realy,it takes 3 min to put up,I can get most of my gear under it,apart from the rod holdall,I use it for long session`s when Im on my own,2,3 days at a time.

S

Stuart Harvey

I've got a Roamer. For sixty quid its great. Its single skin so you get a bit of condensation but it goes up in less than five minutes, is light, waterproof and when you know how, goes back in its bag easy. Good enough for April to October I'd say. Space wise, I find its OK, I try to take the minimum anyway and its just about right.

L

Les Clark

Darren, not sure what you call it, it not a bivie,but not a brolly,it`s a brolly with wings and a short center pole which you only use for opening it up,not for sticking in the ground,you peg the wings down which makes it stable.

William Foxall

Reaction score
i use the roamer dome and i bought the winter skin, will cost you 100 pounds for both, if you dont fasten the buckle that runs underneath you find you get yur tackle box rod bag and bed chair no probs and its still steardy and i use mine 24 -72hr trips with no probs.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Is the roamer definately waterproof then?
Is condensation only a problem when door closed?
Could it withstand High winds?

and finally if youd be so kind:

How small does it pack up?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Can definetly say its waterproof. It packs up into a long bag that fits nicely into the large side pocket on a 3up 3 down holdall. If you get the winter skin this packs seperate in your bag. You can also in summer leave the groundsheet out this ways as much as the bivvy.

It can be lowered or raised to fight the elements by adjusting the tension strap that conects the two sides.

If not using the winter skin i suggest you invest in a bedchair cover. prices are simmalar so just decide which you would get most use out of.

Hope this helps,

B

Big Rik

I'd add that a bedchair cover is probably the best bit of kit I'ce bought in the last couple of years.
I didn't realise how good they were until I used one.

F

Frothey

trakker do a showerproof fleece lined one, warm enough for the summer, and adds a bit to your bag in the winter.

B

Big Rik

Trakker, JRC and Nash all do one, they're all about the same money 35 to 40 quid, and all showerproof and fleece lined, well maybe not the Trakker one, that's probaly ?200.
I have the JRC one, it has bedchair clips on both sides and a shaped base to encapsulate the base of the bedchair.

F

Frothey

?35 when i got mine a couple of years ago. 4 bedchair clips and shaped foot end.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I've got a Chub cover and its great, very warm and showerproof.
I think the Trakker cover is supposed to be waterproof not just showerproof.

F

Frothey

after sitting on mine in a wet one piece last winter, i'd say showerproof!