Just Another Sales Niche / Opportunity

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sunkistbob-SKB: I know what you mean Paul, I have a Grey's rod doing ****** all in the cupboard because I found something I preferred. Except with me it's in company with a Hornby Railway set.........not found anything to replicate the Tenkara rods to date but I live in hope........

The evidence for the T. Thing being just the latest Yuppie Fad is beginning to stack - it's just been featured in that rather odd, Cosmo for Boys, pecs and sex "Mens Journal" magazine.

Tenkara USA - A Fly-Fishing Rod You Can Take Anywhere - MensJournal.com

Richard Jamieson 2

Reaction score
Sunkistbob-SKB: I know what you mean Paul, I have a Grey's rod doing ****** all in the cupboard because I found something I preferred. Except with me it's in company with a Hornby Railway set.........not found anything to replicate the Tenkara rods to date but I live in hope........

The evidence for the T. Thing being just the latest Yuppie Fad is beginning to stack - it's just been featured in that rather odd, Cosmo for Boys, pecs and sex "Mens Journal" magazine.

Tenkara USA - A Fly-Fishing Rod You Can Take Anywhere - MensJournal.com
Ha! That put a smile on my face! :D

I must confess to not having had cause to read your featured journal before as I'm far too scruffy. I'd seriously doubt that Tenkara rods are anywhere near expensive enough to be of interest to any self respecting Yuppie, not when there are plenty of £700 Sages on sale to swish about in front of their mates at the local put and take. ;)

Having said that, this gentleman from yesteryear is very well turned out and also appears to have a servant to land the fish for him, so there you go. :)

51563aed6ddc55803e6dcad5f1450cda_zps94364a4a.jpg

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I must confess to not having had cause to read your featured journal before as I'm far too scruffy. I'd seriously doubt that Tenkara rods are anywhere near expensive enough to be of interest to any self respecting Yuppie, not when there are plenty of £700 Sages on sale to swish about in front of their mates at the local put and take. ;)

Having said that, this gentleman from yesteryear is very well turned out and also appears to have a servant to land the fish for him, so there you go. :)

Like it, sunkist. I see that the Gent has his Village Idiot River Keeper netting the fish for him. Some things never change.

nicepix

Reaction score

I'm surprised he caught anything given the size of that fly top / right. Its bigger than the landing net :D

Richard Jamieson 2

Reaction score
I'm surprised he caught anything given the size of that fly top / right. Its bigger than the landing net :D
Now let's be honest NP, that's obviously the indicator fly..... :w

I did once catch a small wild brown trout on what amounted to a roach pattern pike fly left to drift downstream and then twitched back towards me. As I brought the fish to hand I felt like a suspected murderer arriving at court under a blanket. The "fly" had those big wobbly eyes glued to it as well.....oh, the humanity.... ;)

Gents, while I try very hard to do things "the proper way" most of the time, my rebellious streak also nags at me to try the Tenkara rod "up the wrong'un" on a river with a bung and a blob one of these days. That, with a series of incriminating pictures documenting the catch, should get some tempers steaming in various places from those with nothing better to do. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It appears that going all Zen is the new Compulsory Cool.

The Road to Tenkara | Middle River Dispatches

So, this morning I have knocked up such a rod.

Blank (I have three of four of them here): the top two sections of an 11ft 4in. 3-piece light line fly rod that I was trying to get a blank maker to get right in the late 1980s. Thin-walled untra-light graphite with a little Kevlar in the wall to stop the thing from going oval under stress and snapping like a twig.

Tip (so far): 2 feet of soft but fast-tapered glass quiver tip (pale green in colour to the blank's chocolate brown) over-fitted to the blank end with a graphite sleeve (from an old rod blank tip). Very low profile, you can hardly see the join. The tip, fitted this way, is removable, Other old carbon and glass quiver tip lengths with different tapers might / will also be used until I feel that the rod is "right" - a multi-tip non-T-Word rod no less.

Will I use it? Might do, eventually, for about ten minutes.

Have I gone all Zen?

Nope. I've always been that.

Ommmmmm.........

Last edited: