Just too many rules.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lets get a bit of sense on keep nets no fish over a certain size in length not weight to be put into keep nets .
I have stopped fishing several places because they do not allow keep nets , I like fishing for silvers much more than the bigger stuff why should i have to mess my chosen peg up by having to put every fish back to go tell his buddies just because there are dang carp in the water ..

I always put my fish straight back and being honest it hasn't affected my fishing. The fish have just kept on coming and manys the time i've had repeat captures in a session.
I think the story about fish going back telling their m8's to leave the table is just that...a story/old wives tale.
I wouldn't go so far as to stop the use of keepnets altogether but I do think they're a pointless exercise for a pleasure angler. Obviously if there's a purpose for holding them then that would be different...jmo gent's.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Jeeez...is that actually true geoff...about the mounds of old boilies ? You would think that with so much decay in the water it would have de-oxygenated the water and killed off all the fish well befor it got to that stage.

This was told me by the late Vic Gillings, who was heavily involved there. I believe Mr Welch should be able to confirm or deny as I think he was still giving the orders at LSA at the time.

Ian??

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I always put my fish straight back and being honest it hasn't affected my fishing. The fish have just kept on coming and manys the time i've had repeat captures in a session.
I think the story about fish going back telling their m8's to leave the table is just that...a story/old wives tale.
I wouldn't go so far as to stop the use of keepnets altogether but I do think they're a pointless exercise for a pleasure angler. Obviously if there's a purpose for holding them then that would be different...jmo gent's.

Places i have fished with a no keep nets rule are fine for a short period then no fish to be found change pegs to othger side of the pond/pool/lake and bingo fish yes putting just caught fish back in does scare other fish off ..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This was told me by the late Vic Gillings, who was heavily involved there. I believe Mr Welch should be able to confirm or deny as I think he was still giving the orders at LSA at the time.

Ian??

I did hear about that incident several years ago Geoff, if it's the same one. I'm not saying it isn't true, just that I would have thought the water would have been so heavily polluted that all the fish would have rolled over, unless of course that is what caused them to drain the water.

Maggot dangler, I disagree with you and have never found that putting fish back straight away has put the other fish off the feed in still waters or running waters...jmo.
If you choose to use a keepnet and your club allows it then that's your decission...good luck to you.

Last edited:

David Dalton

Reaction score
Years ago, when I was a youngster, I used to fish the Ringwood Fishery on the Hampshire Avon. One of the rules printed on the ticket was that you weren't allowed to bring a gramophone onto the bank.

I wonder if anybody actually did? Holding a rod in one hand and winding up the gramophone with the other...

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I did hear about that incident several years ago Geoff, if it's the same one. I'm not saying it isn't true, just that I would have thought the water would have been so heavily polluted that all the fish would have rolled over, unless of course that is what caused them to drain the water.
It was four or five acres up to 12ft deep. I would have thought it would take a lot more than that to pollute it. As it was explained to me, the baits were still mainly intact and hadn't rotted down much at all.

reeds

Reaction score
Loads of uneaten and rotting bait does happen. Good quality boilies tend to break down and get assimilated into the food chain, or float off. **** baits just rot. I've heard several stories about the same thing happening with luncheon meat, which is why some places have limits on the amount you can use.

Most of these types of water contain mainly carp, which can tolerate terrible water quality, so they do survive OK (pretty miserable life though).

Against the grain apparently, but I don't like the 'no tins' rule. I'm happy to decant bait into a bait box if I know I'm going to use it, but often I don't know. Having a tin of corn and meat in the bag is really handy, and if I don't use it, it can just stay there til I do.

Rules are usually put in place because people have taken the **** too often, and the owner/club/whatever has to legislate for the lowest common denominator. So although it's tempting to blame owners and clubs for what seem like stupid rules, the actual blame usually rests with our fellow 'anglers'.

vort

Reaction score
I don't understand the point of the 'no nuts or chickpeas' rule.

jack sprat

Reaction score
The problem with the 'no tins' rule is that EVERY angler claims that "they always take them home" but it's clear that they don't! One club I was involved in didn't have a rule but through a tie-up with another club and the use of its waters we had to introduce the rule despite the protests. On one of our waters, just 4 swims, I routinely filled 10 sacks of tins every season. The following year, with the rule in place and enforced, that amount went down to less than half a sack, and the same was true with our other waters. As a rule it works even if slightly inconvenient. I now cook sweetcorn - 4 minues from frozen - before trips. Back in the late 60s when luncheon meat came in Throop was nearly lost entirely to coarse fishing due to discarded tins so a ban came in which is still in force.

With keepnets and roach you can find that on a given day you can catch MORE, possibly bigger, roach if you use a keepnet but over time (repeated trips) you will catch LESS, as the association with capture is much stronger after retention in a net. Furthermore, you will catch roach (applies to other species as well) in better condition and with better growth rates if nets are not used regardless of how 'fish-friendly' the nets are.

The bad one

Reaction score
I don't understand the point of the 'no nuts or chickpeas' rule.
The reason for it is they need to be cooked properly as the fish can't digest half or poorly cooked nuts and chicks. Many anglers were not taking head of this warning, or like many in society can't bloody cook, so bans were introduced on many waters and fisheries.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cooking seeds, nuts and chick peas is not something which happens in nature. There must be tons of seeds finding their way into waterways and fish every year from bankside fields and trees, everything from conkers and acorns down to lupin seeds and none of it is cooked.
As a long standing koi keeper I know that if it goes in one end it will come out the other, digested or not, including a chicken bone (the one between the wish bone and the wing) which my 22Lb ghost carp (Casper) passed a couple of days after a B-B-Q.
It was a bit of a worry though as it was hanging out of his vent for a couple of hours before finally coming free.

reeds

Reaction score
Uncooked pulses and particles are not (contrary to popular belief) toxic, and do not swell up and burst fishes' stomaches. (In fact most fish don't even have stomachs.)

The reason they get banned is that they provide very little nutritional value, and so eating them in large amounts causes fish to lose weight. When weight is important to fishery owners/anglers, this is bad news. Same goes for cooked nuts.

In most cases though, the cooking process is good as it releases sugars and oils from the bait. I wouldn't want to use uncooked hemp, for example. (Besides which, it would float away :) )

noutbutacold

Reaction score
Titus
Who decides who is being a ****? I for example find James Blunt a bit of a ****, some however quite like his music. Another rule would be required to clarify this. I suppose as a club gets bigger with a range of waters especially if they cover a cross section of angling styles, Game, specimen, match etc then rules become even more cross purpose.

As for most annoying, The no stoves one always annoys me (is my kelly kettle a stove?) & the No radios... what even with headphones to catch up on the fulltime results???

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As for most annoying, The no stoves one always annoys me (is my kelly kettle a stove?) & the No radios... what even with headphones to catch up on the fulltime results?

The same thing annoys me as well.

When on a weekend Carp trip in the summer I see nothing wrong in having the radio tuned to the Test Match with earplugs or headphones on.

Both my clubs and my syndicate allow Kelly Kettles thankfully.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Titus
Who decides who is being a ****? I for example find James Blunt a bit of a ****, some however quite like his music. Another rule would be required to clarify this. I suppose as a club gets bigger with a range of waters especially if they cover a cross section of angling styles, Game, specimen, match etc then rules become even more cross purpose.

As for most annoying, The no stoves one always annoys me (is my kelly kettle a stove?) & the No radios... what even with headphones to catch up on the fulltime results???

It's fairly simple really, there is no committee, no chairman nothing, we have a website and a general consensus, everybody respects each other and the fishery. You know if you are being a **** from the gentle ribbing and banter in the hut or the pub.
Membership is by invitation only and anyone can nominate a member, by the same token anyone can black ball a prospect, no questions asked. From this you would be mistaken for thinking it was a membership of old fogies but we have people from 18 to well past retirement and as we have a tiny turnover of members it appears to be working well.

I agree with the no stoves thing being a pain, As well as being a fellow kelly fan I am also a big fan of outdoor cooking. I like to use a Dutch oven and the smell of woodsmoke adds so much to the whole experience.

Back to the tins I was once threatened with a fine by a PAAS bailiff because I had tins of meat in the boot of my car in a PAAS car park! How daft can you get?