Keep the Closed Season

D

Dave Burr

Anglers are both the problem and the cause. I once closed a swim where the fish were still spawning to give them protection for the first few days of the season. On day one an angler tore down my obstrction (bearing the 'swim closed' sign) and bragged to all and sundry about the number of fish he caught.

There are many that claim to be conservationalists that are in fact quite the opposite.

I like the idea of the rivers having a rest but thought the same about stillwaters and they still seem to be okay.

I think that the at the very least we should be able to fish on until the end of March, maybe to the middle of April. Or just bin the whole outdated nonsense and open the waters to all, it will find its level pretty soon. If it ruins the fishing and makes life harder then the good anglers will still catch a few and the greedy sod's that cause most of the problems will go elsewhere.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Its the size thing...

Anglers need to get it into their thick heads that bagging up no matter the consequences is just plain stupid!

chub angler

Reaction score
I would like tokeep the closed season for rivers but ive been thinking about if we are not there whois going to stop the fish theives as Lee Said we police the rivers.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fish theft is an over-rated 'excuse' for abolishing the Closed Season!

Decent clubs will bailiff their waters even during the closed periods.

Let's be totally honest, 'we' do not police anything.

chub angler

Reaction score
maybee where you live they are on the river where I live every day and they have been caught numerous times with chub barbel and pike.And I would Like to keep the closed season.

POLO

Reaction score
Why is there a closed season, is it not for the migratory fish? If this is correct then we as course anglers should be allowed to fish, and do different fish spawn at different times of the summer period? Where you are geographically my have an impact on the spawning cycles too? Southern rivers warmer then Northern rivers earlier durng the period too. Lots of questions. Abolish the course fishing season but keep it the game fish.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Let's be totally honest, 'we' do not police anything.</blockquote>

I absolutely AGREE with you, Peter, on the first point. There are lots more viable reasons.

I disagree with you on second point, I know of none and never have.

I totally agree with you on your third point, although we should do more.

There then, that's surprised you Mr Jacobs!

Inserted /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Saying that, I drove past our stretch of the Jubilee this morning on the bus, I slowed down to a crawl specifically so that I could check if anyone was fishing it out of season.

Not a soul! Not on the bits I could see, but then, that's the way it's been throughout the winter, last autumn and last summer too. Waste of time checking really.

Still it's a beautiful day and the river was nice to see.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Let's be totally honest, 'we' do not police anything.</blockquote>

Agree with point 2, but not the others.

It's not just about fish theft.

The clubs I am in Police their waters, but then maybe the wording of police is wrong in the first place.

Steve Pope,

I only said you had signed both as Woody posted "who is Steve Pope".

I know you wouldn't sign to abolish the close season, and that is your right.

However, there is nothing to say or any proof, that river fish will come to any harm, it's much the same argument as the still water Barbel, when many said they would not survive, but they did, and those who said they would not, were then proved wrong.

If the close season goes, then those who wanted to retain it, still have the right to not go fishing, so everyone has a choice, a choice you don't have now.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"If the close season goes, then those who wanted to retain it, still have the right to not go fishing, so everyone has a choice, a choice you don't have now."

Ray,

It has nothing at all to do with what 'people' want to do, it is there to allow fish to spawn and recover without the unnecessary attentions of anglers.

That the original law was enacted for different reasons I'll not contest, however, the fringe benefits to fish, and anglers, is there for all to see.

As a general statement Barbel stocked into stillwaters rarely (if ever) breed, they might 'survive' but they require an altogether different spawning medium than a lake.

So, while they might 'survive' do they 'thrive'?

A moot point, maybe, depending on the definitions of thrive and survive, but nonetheless an important distinction.

chub angler

Reaction score
peter would you like to start finding hand lines peged outwith 4-5 chub on or fish heads on the bankwhere you like to fish? .

D

Dave Slater

Lee Swords said

Its the size thing...

Anglers need to get it into their thick heads that bagging up no matter the consequences is just plain stupid!

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately these morons will cause untold damage whether or not there is a close season

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,

Clubs, Yes, but there are a couple of the stillwaters on the ticket that open all year but the majority are closed.

My lake syndicate remains closed, as does the river syndicate, but we are allowed to fly fish for Brown Trout.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chub Angler,

No, of course not, but then I am prepared to invest my time, (on a rota basis) to ensure that doesn't happen. Also, on the syndicate we have a full time bailiff, and the secretary lives on the stretch and is always out with his dogs.