Keeping fish still

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
This seems like such a silly question to ask but I wondered if there is anything that can be done to keep a fish still when it's on the unhooking matt ?

image.jpg

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Blow on it, or "fan it wiv yer 'at"*.
Helps if you have a collaborator, because the fish will be quiet for about as long as it takes to stand up again and aim the camera.

* Can anyone identify that? I think it was a music hall thing about what to do at a posh dinner if your 'erring was too 'ot - something along the lines of " ...don't (something) or swing it round yer 'ead; do like the big nobs do and fan it wiv yer 'at!"
Mum used to mutter it, but I can't ask her without a ouija board.

greenie62

Reaction score
... * Can anyone identify that? I think it was a music hall thing about what to do at a posh dinner if your 'erring was too 'ot - something along the lines of " ...don't (something) or swing it round yer 'ead; do like the big nobs do and fan it wiv yer 'at!"...

Might be worth a call on the V&A Music Hall & Variety Theatre - Victoria and Albert Museum
I'm sure one of their researchers would love to spend a morning looking that one up Al:rolleyes:

===========================​

Similar to blowing / fanning the fish - use a sprayer - the one for keeping your groundbait moist could be handy - or a cup of water dribbled over the fish might quieten it a bit.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with Alan above; simply blow on the fish (or fan lightly with your cap) as that works very well when calming fish on the scales in a match weigh-in . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Usually they keep still for a moment or two if lifted and put down, just take the pic as soon as you've placed the fish down.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Gently covering its eyes helps.
And remember that you don't have to photograph every single fish that you catch.