keepnet ban

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just taken a good look at my keepnets (from Preston Innovations) and the mesh on both the 'Carp' and 'Silver fish' modelsare vastly different to each other.

Both have the Water Lily approval marks andI am more than happy to use them, based on experience,(properly sited and well staked out) on both rivers and stillwaters, where permitted.

I still think that any 'ban' should be actively challenged by all anglers based on the 'thin end of the wedge' syndrome.

I do agree though Mark, that placing small fish in with large specimens should be avoided - simple answer; Use Two Nets!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hmmm! I know what you are saying Mark but Preston make good fish-friendly keepnets and their silver fish one is lovely and soft but I do have a problem with keepnets that are designed for specific fish i.e. barbel friendly, carp friendly etc. because that implies they aren't suitable for other species and in general anglers only have one. Far better to design a keepnet that is friendly for all fish and only the bottom three rings need to be tight mesh with the rest open weave to enable the free passage of oxygenated water.

It isn't normal for fish to move about much whilst they are in a keepnet, unless a pike is making enquiries of course, so they aren't going to scrape around the mesh very much except when the net is removed by which time the fish will be in the bottom three rings. As we all know the biggest danger to the fish comes when inexperienced/uncaring anglers empty them and that is when most of the fish damage can occur, the best way being to put the whole net in the water, lifting the base slowly and let them swim out rather than tipping them out.

tank

Reaction score
so if i were to get one which i am still thinking of doing, which would you recommend???? considering all the above point about fish care and using them correctly.

tank

Reaction score
so the water lilly approval mark is a mark that ensures that they are of a top quality i take it?