Korda/Kiana Goo Statement.

cg74

Reaction score
I don`t know about carp anglers but he seems to be fairly well known amongst regular anglers. A bloke was kind enough to give me a lift home from a venue last week. As we were chatting I mentioned I`d shown a guy called Ron Clay around the canal a few weeks before.

"Ron Clay who writes in the magazines?" says he . . .

I don't know about stillwater/canal anglers but even I who hasn't written an article in the last 20ish years and yes I have penned a few; about what - catching fish... where - for me to know and you not too!

Sat on the Severn last December, chatting to another angler, I mentioned that I was from Oxfordshire, reply from said angler - you're not Colin Gordon are you, I answered yes; "Bloody hell you're Colin Gordon, who'd bloody believe it.... I'm buggered CG74 on the Severn!"

Similary on the Wye in March, chatting to two local anglers, things moved to my usual haunts, so again I mentioned that I was from Oxon, which progressed to one asking if I was Colin Gordon/CG74, which seeing as how well we were getting on, I answered yes; then came the barrage of questions - "We've been biteless for 3hrs now, what would you do.....?"

My point, being known is easy; put yourself about where people look!

But being remembered long term is much harder; you need to have done something of merit - written an acclaimed book or two, been an inspirational figure, be truly inventive.

I'm none of the above and sadly nor is Ron.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Exactly Colin, they didn't spend 20 years 'out of sight' fishing in SA at the time;)
Jerry

I think this answers your point:
But being remembered long term is much harder; you need to have done something of merit - written an acclaimed book or two, been an inspirational figure, be truly inventive.

I'm none of the above and sadly nor is Ron.

I also think my point is strengthened, as how much have you seen of Maddock's and Hutchinson over the last decade or two and they're anything but forgotten.

benny samways

Reaction score
Its only anglers of a certain age who know who the likes of Hutchinson and Maddocks are, so you guys might not forget them but youngsters wont know who they are let alone forget!

Anglers coming into the sport nowadys have to be of a certain ilk to look into names of the past. If they do get into their angling history then Im sure they would find the likes of the 2 mentioned fascinating, I know I did.

Im 30 and although Id heard of Hutchinson and the likes it wasnt until last years carpworld interview that Id actually heard anything from him. He gets the sense of adventure over so well.

Ask a young angler to name a famous angler now and they would more than likely say Hayes, Fairbrass, Peck, Hearn.