Laguna bait additives

guest61

Reaction score

I'm confused, was it the float, the Pineapple Laguna SAC juice, good angling, old fashioned good fortune or a combination of these factors?

How do you know that '' flavours are a real edge in the silty estate lake, and it consistently out-fishes normal unflavoured maggots '' Do you fish this and a 'control method' side by side?

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm often wondering whether a sponsored angler (such as Martin Bowler) is truely objective, or are you sponsored (I have no issue with this BTW) and this is an advert?

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I'm confused, was it the float, the Pineapple Laguna SAC juice, good angling, old fashioned good fortune or a combination of these factors?

How do you know that '' flavours are a real edge in the silty estate lake, and it consistently out-fishes normal unflavoured maggots '' Do you fish this and a 'control method' side by side?

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm often wondering whether a sponsored angler is truely objective, or are you sponsored (I have no issue with this BTW) and this is an advert?

Clearly an endorsement.... honesty and objectivity.... leave that to your judgement.

I have fished this lake for years.... good angling, experience, right choice of bait/baits, feeding regime, choice of floats and yes.... better results using flavours- ABSOLUTELY.

I fish a lot, perhaps more than most.... obsessive, dedicated and passionate. If I choose to share a tip or a method, I am happy to do so in the knowledge that if it made a difference - its there. Sometimes I have to sit on something that has been passed on discreetly - thats my only discretion.

I have written article on a few branches of fishing over the years - anything from bread through to bass. Methods either learnt or observations freely passed on... I will continue to do so - safe in the knowledge that there is little or no financial incentive to do so.

Flavouring stuff isn't mumbo jumbo... its an accepted part of fishing. wether you choose to add some garlic, tumeric - whatever from the supermarket - or a commercially made product.

Good angling always wins through in the end... where you go from their is a question of personal choice. Happy catching plenty of fish.... not endlessly seeking a holy grail in terms of additives - just accepting that on occasions they give you an edge...

guest61

Reaction score
Clearly an endorsement.... honesty and objectivity.... leave that to your judgement.

I have fished this lake for years.... good angling, experience, right choice of bait/baits, feeding regime, choice of floats and yes.... better results using flavours- ABSOLUTELY.

I fish a lot, perhaps more than most.... obsessive, dedicated and passionate. If I choose to share a tip or a method, I am happy to do so in the knowledge that if it made a difference - its there. Sometimes I have to sit on something that has been passed on discreetly - thats my only discretion.

I have written article on a few branches of fishing over the years - anything from bread through to bass. Methods either learnt or observations freely passed on... I will continue to do so - safe in the knowledge that there is little or no financial incentive to do so.

Flavouring stuff isn't mumbo jumbo... its an accepted part of fishing. wether you choose to add some garlic, tumeric - whatever from the supermarket - or a commercially made product.

Good angling always wins through in the end... where you go from their is a question of personal choice. Happy catching plenty of fish.... not endlessly seeking a holy grail in terms of additives - just accepting that on occasions they give you an edge...

Thanks for your reply, I re read my post and did wonder whether it could come across as a 'dig' - it wasn't intended as such and I stand by it. However, I constantly read articles which feature the phrase 'give you an edge' and never feel that I understand what it means - a throwaway comment or carefully considered one, either way its impossible to quantify?

There are a multitude of feeding options, especially with maggots, the recent thread about missing bites was interesting in that fast unmissable bites could be improved / eased by altering feeding patterns to calm the swim down - clearly small Roach intercept baits on sight, just as they do with naturals, I'm just curious how much of an improvement flavouring maggots in persuit of small silvers offers versus unflavored maggots on the same day in the same conditions actually gives.

As for flavoring baits not being 'Mumbo Jumbo' - I'm not sure what you mean? I fully accept that flavoring bait is part of fishing, but there are some pretty anal and nebulous arguments about what does what, on here especially ..

Tight Lines.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Oddly enough - these are the floats I've been using over the last couple of months - I'm no sponsored angler but they do show bites well

I've been using the pattern for years - its a pimped up stillwater blue.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
yes I'd would have bought the Stillwater blue floats but my local tackle shop doesn't sell them only the "pimped up" version (I like that description and am going to steel it to use in future)

chav professor

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I re read my post and did wonder whether it could come across as a 'dig' - it wasn't intended as such and I stand by it. However, I constantly read articles which feature the phrase 'give you an edge' and never feel that I understand what it means - a throwaway comment or carefully considered one, either way its impossible to quantify?

There are a multitude of feeding options, especially with maggots, the recent thread about missing bites was interesting in that fast unmissable bites could be improved / eased by altering feeding patterns to calm the swim down - clearly small Roach intercept baits on sight, just as they do with naturals, I'm just curious how much of an improvement flavouring maggots in persuit of small silvers offers versus unflavored maggots on the same day in the same conditions actually gives.

As for flavoring baits not being 'Mumbo Jumbo' - I'm not sure what you mean? I fully accept that flavoring bait is part of fishing, but there are some pretty anal and nebulous arguments about what does what, on here especially ..

I didn't take it as a dig bud:) I was racing around getting my stuff together and under pressure 'If you've got time to be on Fishing magic before you go fishing.... you have time to quickly throw the hoover around'.... that sort of thing:D

One thing I can say about fishing for 'silvers' is it takes me right back to my childhood. Me and my brother would share hours trying to catch the tiny roach, perch and eels that inhabited a little Mill pool. it was a paradise that helped put life into context. No targets of remarkable school grades or the growing dissatisfaction of chasing material wealth or climbing career ladders...

Our tackle was home made; floats were either made from seagull feather collected on family days at the beach or sanded cork. Our guide was a very tatty copy of Mr Crabtree passed onto us by an enthusiastic Uncle - we would marvel at the high tech stuff!! We weren't to know it was already 20 years obsolete. The important thing is that the spirit of Mr Crabtree never left me... the fish are the same.

chantrymayroach001_zps4aa5eda1.jpg

chantrymayroach010_zpsd43ed312.jpg

As for keeping Mrs Chav Happy? well I'm grateful to an equally tatty book from my youth, 'the joy of sex' circa 1972.... Its only a shame it wasn't illistrated by Bernard Venables..... Patsy squealed with delight as Mr Crabtree produced his rod... his nuts as firm as his par boiled potato hook baits.... 'Got to make it quick Patsy, I've promised to take Peter Tenching this morning. He will be disappointed if he misses the masses of tiny pin prick bubbles around his quill float'.... with that STRIKE! Mr Crabtree was in! Easing Patsys legs upon his shoulders to maximise stimulation.... Crabtree knew he would have her finished quick and would soon be rushing out the door....

guest61

Reaction score
Me too, the bit I like about them is the flexi sight tips so that when they've been pulled through the green stuff they don't snap like the SB.
Jerry

I have a box of floats including Drennan glow tips, a few stillwater blues and Billy Makin Canal darts plus a set Drennan drift beaters this goes everywhere with me, they are very versatile floats.

Back to Laguna SAC...

How do you administer for instance Pineapple flavour to maggots per pint - what's the dose? Do you have to clean the maggots etc..?

chav professor

Reaction score
I have a box of floats including Drennan glow tips, a few stillwater blues and Billy Makin Canal darts plus a set Drennan drift beaters this goes everywhere with me, they are very versatile floats.

Back to Laguna SAC...

How do you administer for instance Pineapple flavour to maggots per pint - what's the dose? Do you have to clean the maggots etc..?

Couple of ways... have some soaking to take on air/flavour and float a little to counter the weight of the hook.... also quite fond of being cleaned, basted and thrown in the freezer... This kills them... Roach seem to love dead pineapple maggots - well so do the bream now they have started to wake up a bit.

I don't flavour a pint... I put a handful in a sealed plastic container - these are hook baits.

If its just maggots, a bottle is good for quite a few batches.... I just chuck the remainder in the ground bait.

Numerous variables..... :eek:mg:

Technique wise, it covers fishing on the drop - but get bigger weights if you can get them down on the bottom. Pineapple is a recognized 'attractor' for roach... as this is made from pineapple there is natural sweetness - not a synthetic element/artificial sweetener.

Working on a clever little idea to help a flavour adhere to a maggots, meat or boillies... Its pretty good. But the catches shown thus far - just simply glugged or dead maggots.

guest61

Reaction score
Couple of ways... have some soaking to take on air/flavour and float a little to counter the weight of the hook.... also quite fond of being cleaned, basted and thrown in the freezer... This kills them... Roach seem to love dead pineapple maggots - well so do the bream now they have started to wake up a bit.

I don't flavour a pint... I put a handful in a sealed plastic container - these are hook baits.

If its just maggots, a bottle is good for quite a few batches.... I just chuck the remainder in the ground bait.

Numerous variables..... :eek:mg:

Technique wise, it covers fishing on the drop - but get bigger weights if you can get them down on the bottom. Pineapple is a recognized 'attractor' for roach... as this is made from pineapple there is natural sweetness - not a synthetic element/artificial sweetener.

Working on a clever little idea to help a flavour adhere to a maggots, meat or boillies... Its pretty good. But the catches shown thus far - just simply glugged or dead maggots.

Are we talking drops, capfuls, a drizzle?

chav professor

Reaction score
Are we talking drops, capfuls, a drizzle?

About quarter of a bottle and give them a shake. My approach to using SAC juice is different to that of using a conventional flavour. What makes it stand out from the crowd IMO is that its more of a liquid food, rather than an in your face smell.

Take for example a well known brand of banana flavour;
(Iso)Amyl Acetate, (Iso) Amylbutyrate, Cis-3-Hexenyl Acetate, Ethyl Caprote, Linalol, Alpha Ionone, Gamma Undecalactone, Vanillin and finally.... Acetate.

Fancy doing a risk assessment to use those chemicals in a science lab?

If Chris is happy to elaborate, but the source of the flavour for the SAC juice IS banana...

guest61

Reaction score
About quarter of a bottle and give them a shake. My approach to using SAC juice is different to that of using a conventional flavour. What makes it stand out from the crowd IMO is that its more of a liquid food, rather than an in your face smell.

Take for example a well known brand of banana flavour;
(Iso)Amyl Acetate, (Iso) Amylbutyrate, Cis-3-Hexenyl Acetate, Ethyl Caprote, Linalol, Alpha Ionone, Gamma Undecalactone, Vanillin and finally.... Acetate.

Fancy doing a risk assessment to use those chemicals in a science lab?

If Chris is happy to elaborate, but the source of the flavour for the SAC juice IS banana...

Well I've just bought a bottle of Pineapple SAC - with my Drennan glow tips, Pineapple SAC juice and a pint of maggots, I'll be a bigger theat to Roach than Cormorants - stay tuned for me to f*ck it up.

chav professor

Reaction score
Good luck! Just a thought Bottle, if you want buoyant maggots - store them overnight in the fridge... they need to be about 1cm deep (small tub)... Frozen dead maggots, need less....

I was just having a rummage down the shed and found some more 'Mr Crabtrees joy of sex' manuscripts.... have to elaborate.... its just that some of the pages appear to have become stuck together - probably mill dew. Perhaps I shall have to share? I am looking at having them professionally restored... Priceless...

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Had a nice few hours on a local club lake, 5pm till 9:30pm... Nothing special, but had a chance to try a few ideas out..... So a result.....

aldersoncarpsac001_zpscf43916b.jpg

aldersoncarpsac003_zps355fabe6.jpg

aldersoncarpsac008_zps741d6f62.jpg

Weeman

Reaction score
Blimey Chav……you should be working for Razzle. Better than any readers wives tale I remember from my misspent youth…….

As for keeping Mrs Chav Happy? well I'm grateful to an equally tatty book from my youth, 'the joy of sex' circa 1972.... Its only a shame it wasn't illistrated by Bernard Venables..... Patsy squealed with delight as Mr Crabtree produced his rod... his nuts as firm as his par boiled potato hook baits.... 'Got to make it quick Patsy, I've promised to take Peter Tenching this morning. He will be disappointed if he misses the masses of tiny pin prick bubbles around his quill float'.... with that STRIKE! Mr Crabtree was in! Easing Patsys legs upon his shoulders to maximise stimulation.... Crabtree knew he would have her finished quick and would soon be rushing out the door....[/QUOTE]