ledgering stillwater

grizzlebear

Reaction score
So ive done my first year back fishing and loved it. Only done the river and always picked a quiet spot so i didnt upset the seasoned fishermen.
The club im in have a nice lake thats open all year so i want to have a go at stillwater fishing. Spoke to a couple of lads down there lastweek who said its great for pleasure anglers and its been stocked with fish for the new season.

They said most newcomers get on better feeder fishing it around 14mtrs out. from what i can see its mainly med/large tench and carp 5lb to 20lb.

I know its not black & white and i am pretty confident with the terminal tackle but what rod? The fish sizes vary so much in there. I have a 10ft light shakespeare rod and a 12ft drennan puddlechucker. I also have a more heavyweight wychwood 12ft rod that i ledger for barbel with.Will they be any good?
Its not a massive lake by any means and its 5/8ft deep. pegs are about 20ft apart.
Im thinking start with a 8lb line 6lb trace? or maybe lighter

Do i need better or different rods? If so any idea which rod to try.

Keith M

Reaction score
So ive done my first year back fishing and loved it. Only done the river and always picked a quiet spot so i didnt upset the seasoned fishermen.
The club im in have a nice lake thats open all year so i want to have a go at stillwater fishing. Spoke to a couple of lads down there lastweek who said its great for pleasure anglers and its been stocked with fish for the new season.

They said most newcomers get on better feeder fishing it around 14mtrs out. from what i can see its mainly med/large tench and carp 5lb to 20lb.

I know its not black & white and i am pretty confident with the terminal tackle but what rod? The fish sizes vary so much in there. I have a 10ft light shakespeare rod and a 12ft drennan puddlechucker. I also have a more heavyweight wychwood 12ft rod that i ledger for barbel with.Will they be any good?
Its not a massive lake by any means and its 5/8ft deep. pegs are about 20ft apart.
Im thinking start with a 8lb line 6lb trace? or maybe lighter

Do i need better or different rods? If so any idea which rod to try.

Your Wychwood rod that you use for catching Barbel sounds fine for ledgering with lines of around 8lb and 6lb hooklengths and should be able to handle the med/large Tench and the 5lb to 20lb Carp that you say are in there as long as the Carp don't have too many islands/reed beds to go round.

Your Puddle Chucker should also be fine if you want to float fish for all but the larger Carp in there.

I don't know about your Short light Shakespeare rod as apart from not knowing how light it is (eg. what lines it will handle and how forgiving it is and whether it is powerful enough to be able to control the fight when needed) I'm not a great lover of rods that are any shorter than 11ft coupled with large fish; even more so if there are thick beds of lilies etc to contend with. I suspect that this rod is far too light for larger fish anyway.

Keith

Last edited:

strathy

Reaction score
Which Puddle chucker is it ?
Feeder or Waggler?
If theres not a lot of weed and Lillies you should easily handle tench with any of them, but will need the heavier versions or your barbel rod for the carp.