Line Recommendations - Float fishing for Barbel

jasonbean1

Reaction score
alan as a pole/match angler as well for the last 30 years out of all the low diameter lines around double strenght was one the least rated/used by most anglers i've come across...very dated line. In the past i think martin bowler amongst others regularly used it as a main line though

and on the new stuff supplex i'm surprised you say it doesnt knot that well as this is one of there main selling points to boost b/s. will put some on the reels this week and see how it goes,

dezza

Reaction score
One thing I have found about any item of fishing tackle. No matter how good it is, and no matter how many positive recommendations you get for a specific item's suitability for a particular use, there will always be one who violently disagrees.

For years I have used Daiwa Sensor as my main line above 5 lbs bs and for years I have used Drennan Float Fish (it's actually Bayer) for light lines with little complaint. Float Fish still needs to be treated (I use Mucilin) if you want it to float for long periods when stick float fishing.

But I've had people come up to me and tell me bluntly that Sensor is rubbish and that I'd be better off using £(*&%!@@@* super line. So I've gone out and bought a bulk spool of 8 lb "Super Line" and found out it broke at 2lbs pull!

No Bullshit.

Needless to say I've never used the stuff.

And I've had all sorts of problems with stretched and double strength low diameter lines.

But I've had few problems with Sensor, other than it's a bit springy, and up to now I have had no problems at all with Pro Gold.

And I do like fluorocarbon for hook links, the best I have found being Incognito.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I have tried many lines for float fishing for Barbel and the best I have found by a country mile is Ultima Power plus in ether 6 or 8lb.

sam vimes

Reaction score
By the way I have some Drennan "Big Sticks" which you can use with confidence with this substantial trotting tackle.

Ron,
give the Cralusso Bolo floats a whizz. Spot on for the Trent, particularly if you'd like to fish a little further out than the usual stick float line without having to resort to a very long rod and running into presentation/control issues. They also have a nice big visible tip that is far more sensitive than it looks. It means that you can trot an awful lot further than the average Stick or Avon float would be visible.

bought the new drennan stuff this week will give that a try, dont hold much hope though seeing as double strenghth was always a pile of poo!

Can't stand Double Strength, I do rather like Supplex though. I've been using it since it first came out. A bit like fluro, it can look a little manky after a few uses. It hasn't let me down yet. I'm not convinced that it's a true floating line that I tend to prefer for trotting though.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Ron,
give the Cralusso Bolo floats a whizz. Spot on for the Trent, particularly if you'd like to fish a little further out than the usual stick float line without having to resort to a very long rod and running into presentation/control issues. They also have a nice big visible tip that is far more sensitive than it looks. It means that you can trot an awful lot further than the average Stick or Avon float would be visible.

Do you know you have reminded me. I mean to get a few of these floats for trotting the Trent.

A

alan whittington

alan as a pole/match angler as well for the last 30 years out of all the low diameter lines around double strenght was one the least rated/used by most anglers i've come across...very dated line. In the past i think martin bowler amongst others regularly used it as a main line though

and on the new stuff supplex i'm surprised you say it doesnt knot that well as this is one of there main selling points to boost b/s. will put some on the reels this week and see how it goes,

From what i see Jason,they base their assumptions on the 5 turn grinner knot,which i(for some weird reason)havnt managed to tie well enough to have confidence,on other knots it seemed to damage(slight crinkle)above the knot,no matter how much spittle is applied,this is after one outing with it,but i did keep trimming it off and retying,never have any trouble with my previous lines,including D.Strength.I used to match fish and caught many,many good weights of chub on 0.12mm 2lb 12oz D.Strength,i went over to 0.12mm 3.3lb matchteam,i would'nt say one was losing more chub than the other,the matchteam however was more supple,so i felt more confident with my presentation,even back then in the dark ages,i was aware that diameter was more important than the breaking strain written on a spool,as now,many different line trials later,i still like matchteam,whats your preference?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
pro gold...bought and tried most line over the years and i have to say i reckon this was one of the worst, how could you use it for for float fishing ron i aint got a clue

bought the new drennan stuff this week will give that a try, dont hold much hope though seeing as double strenghth was always a pile of poo!

How can anyone say Gold-Pro is rubbish, it is one of the best lines ever produced soft, limp, tough, superb stuff ;)

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
For any that are unfamiliar with the lower diameter Pro-Gold lines, as most tackle shops only tend to carry 8lb up, here they are.
Jerry

Ref No. Description Metric Dia.
919 Pro-Gold 2lb by 110 yards 0.127
920 Pro-Gold 2.5lb by 110 yards 0.146
921 Pro-Gold 3.4lb by 110 yards 0.171
922 Pro-Gold 4.4lb by 110 yards 0.192
923 Pro-Gold 5.4lb by 110 yards 0.21
924 Pro-Gold 6lb by 110 yards 0.255

A

alan whittington

Trouble is Jerry the chart you printed,shows wet knot strength,not as most dry,i just bought some 5lb 4oz,its dry strength is 6 or more,if using in comparison to others,maybe a lighter choice should be made i feel.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Ron, your a bit touchy aint yah....you know dam well a "which" thread brings up different opinions and on gold pro speaking from experience i think there is a lot better out there end of :)

nowadays i go more for durability/reliability rather than the latest fangled stuff and for that i dont think you cant go far wrong with ultima products particularly when after barbel, but i still try other stuff and use other stuff I have some gardner gt 80 on a couple of spools and can't fault it

everynow and then you buy a duffer but that's life!

Reaction score
Ron

A quick question.

When you use Incognito as a hook length, what length do you tend to use? Also, how do you attach it to your mainline - loop to loop, water knot, swivel, other ?

dezza

Reaction score
Ron

A quick question.

When you use Incognito as a hook length, what length do you tend to use? Also, how do you attach it to your mainline - loop to loop, water knot, swivel, other ?

Both Lee Swords and myself favour a long hooklength, say 3 to 4 feet. By using fluorocarbon which is heavier than nylon, we will pin that hooklength to the bed of the river. I think Lee uses a very short bit of braid tied to the hook at the end of the fluorocarbon. For myself I tie a knotless knot to attach a hook, which for barbel tends to be a Drennan Continental Boilie Hook in size 10, 8 or 6. This is fastened via a swivel and rubber bead to the mainline. The lead or feeder is threaded on the line prior to the hooklength being tied on the swivel. This is for legering of course.

For float fishing I will attach the hooklength to the mainline using a small swivel or rig ring. The knot to the mainline is a uniknot, and to the fluorocarbon a 4 turn half blood knot. Don't use uniknots or grinners on fluorocarbon.

Water or Cove knots, no more than 3 turns, also are good.

Reaction score
Thanks Ron

Yes I use long hook lengths when fishing the feeder and as Lee favour a combi rig.

What I was refering to was when float fishing - what sort of length do you tend to use?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
From what i see Jason,they base their assumptions on the 5 turn grinner knot,which i(for some weird reason)havnt managed to tie well enough to have confidence,on other knots it seemed to damage(slight crinkle)above the knot,no matter how much spittle is applied,this is after one outing with it,but i did keep trimming it off and retying,never have any trouble with my previous lines,including D.Strength.

Alan, I take a small bucket of spit with me and soak the knot for a few minute before tightening. This works well and the bucket of spit can be prepared gradually in the week before your fishing trip. Keep in the fridge to stop it going off.:puke:

Seriously though, I've been using the ESP Synchro XT which I suspect is the same stuff as the Supplex (same instructions) and I had the same problems with a 5 turn grinner. I've switched to a 4 turn grinner which is easier to tighten down (less friction) and which should be as strong.

Matt, I tend to use a hook length around a foot long when float fishing. My reason is that I don't want too many shot on the lower diameter hook length. In shallower water I put the bulk immediately above the hook length knot with one or possibly two no. 6 below this on the hook length itself.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Doesnt any one fish straight through when Barbelling on the float. I do and the less knots the less chance of a breakage. I cant see the point really. When matchfishing thats different.

A

alan whittington

Trouble is,i worry that with no weak link,breakages are possible on the shot,or even above the float,as an ex-matchman,it comes as second nature,plus it also gives an option as to which hooklink is used,a question for you,if you were legering,would you use a hooklink or fish straight through?:w