long lasting maggots

flightliner

Reaction score
Well I don't know what you lot are doing Wrong. I have had maggots for a few years and they are still fine.,

The rubber maggots are very good.:wh:):D:rolleyes::eek:

Ray--you must have been "rubb"ing shoulders with a few Yorkshire anglers!!
You can always tell them in the shop--- aaaaaarr muuuch!!!:j .(gets coat!.)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
hahaha, those poor yorkshireman........

I use the rubber maggots a lot now, and the new one's on the market are very soft, and easy to put on the hook, not on a hair.

The best I every had was on the bankside. When I was fishing with some mates we found a wasp nest, something had broken it open, the wasps were still flying around, but not that often.

We picke up the grubs we could find, very soft and we had a few fish. I don't hang on to maggots after a few days, even if they are ok.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been to see "my maggots" again - still look ok - I've told them "Hang on till Sunday and I'll take you swimming"

Actually "I'm just checking on the maggots and mixing up some ground bait" is what I tell her Ladyshio when I nip off to the garage and have a few beers.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The garden birds love 'em....It amazes me sometimes when I chuck old maggots into my garden ,even a few days later robins still seem to find them .
casters as well.....

bitterman

Reaction score
my bait fridge died a few months back but a new one has been installed at the Hall so the maggots are living longer

All this talk of maggots and fridges reminds me of an incident at xmas a few years ago. My bait fridge was in an out house built onto the side of my house and the fridge was plugged into a socket in the house. My wife decided to unplug the fridge to use the hoover (there's a first time for everything) and then forgot to plug the the fridge back in again. The 2 pints of maggots in there decided it was getting too warm and promptly went for a walk. They found their way out of the fridge and through an air brick which led into my cellar. After a couple of weeks I opened the cellar door to a humming dark cloud at the bottom of the stairs, but it didn't end there!!!!
Our xmas tree in the lounge was above a hole in the floor which the tv arial was fed from the cellar and yes youv'e guessed it those resourceful bluebottles found their way through the hole and took up residence in the tree. Consequently every time the tree was knocked the dog went mental chasing hundreds of bluebottles around the room....... ever tried buying flyspray in december??
After much discussion it was decided that it was all my fault because I should have noticed that my wife had not replaced the fridge plug in a socket that was hidden behind a table.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Not nice when they escape is it!

I lost best part of 2 pints in the garage - the swarm lasted for about two weeks.

I had a second escape last year but managed to recapture most of them - her Ladyship did mention their were a few flies in the garage and asked if the moaggots had got out again

I said to her "Course not. Do you remember how amny flies there were last time - this is just flies getting in in summer"

Got away with it too;)