Lower Itchen Fishery - FM Fish'in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Serious question quickie: Peter, if we are on a coarse fish ticket for Grayling is it allowed to use a fly at all ?

As I have never tried the classic Czech nymph method for Grayling and wouldn't mind having a go. Assuming that is that the presently forecast torrential rain does the necessary clearing out of the summer weed and river bottom for it to work. On the other hand being collared round the ear by a Bailiff for taking the pee and trying to nab Salmonid on a coarse ticket might seriously upset my day.

I believe that fly is only allowed during the Trout season, I will check though if Lyndsay ever calls me back . . . . .

Having said that there is a picture on their webpage on the coarse section showing a fly caught Pike that was most definitely in the Winter . . . .

Lower Itchen Fishery for fly fishing one of the finest chalk stream rivers

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Course you can, and get to fish the middle beats as well... just pay £42 for the Grayling Day Ticket!

:)

mick b

Reaction score
Windy & Peter
On coarse day it means just that, coarse fishing methods only.
When I mentioned to the River Keeper the big fly/Pike pic on the website he reminded me that the website was out of date and that he wouldn't agree to it under his management.

Windy.
You should certainly not bring any fly tackle with you, someone tried it last year and got himself 'sorted' very promptly (these River Keepers are not people you try and be clever with) but if you want to try the leaded nymph then why not take a Grayling day as listed on the website?
On the 15th I spoke to a guy practicing for the England Qualifier being held there the following week, he had taken a fish of just under three pounds so its certainly worth a chuck AND on a Grayling (fly only) day you are allowed to fish the whole water including the beats that are never coarse fished by anyone, so its worth it just for that!

I will be fishing early in the week so you have any more ??? :confused:
Or ring the Keeper yourself, his numbers on the website?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Personally I'd say not really. Down the edge maybe but it's quite clear water and pushes a bit....
It's more a heavy stick or Avon type float venue...

And personally I would agree. IMO perch bobbers are one of the best looking floats ever but also one of the worst to fish with. That said I used to have some tiny little ones that I absolutely adored for small stream/river fishing.

It can barrel through a bit on the LIF so a fairly robust Avon would be my choice. Big mistake to fish too light a float in pacey water.

mick b

Reaction score
Yes you can use a Perch Bobber just as you can use or try to use, any other style of float its all a matter of choice.
This river flows quite fast, slow to medium walking pace usually, and if fined down is very clear, certainly clear enough to see the bottom in mid river at 3' deep or more.

On Tuesday you could have used a tree branch for a float there was that much rubbish coming down, fortunately I only lost one float and that snapped in half snagged onto a lump of floating tree.

My personal choice is a 3.5gm Middey Barbel Trotter at this time of the year going up to 4.5 as the flow picks up around mid December.
However the wire stemmed MAP Alloy Avon cuts the current better but the bright alloy stem is a pain to keep painted over, the long top certainly makes them easier to see.

Most first time visitors I meet always comment on the pace of the water, because they have simply never fished water like it before and this is what makes them struggle, plus the constant retrieving at the end of a trot can be very tiring if your not used to it.

edsurf

Reaction score
Never fished LIF before looking forward to it , would a 5 AA Avon be big enough for the flow ? , fished the Test for Grayling last Jan used a 4 swan chubber float which was fine but that was fast shallow water.

Cheers

ED

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Ed, last year I used a 6bb crowquill and balsa topper. Most of the swims aren't much deeper than 3-4ft. Depends how it's flowing on the day. Some swims are long trotting so something nice and visible helps...

Rog Hill

Reaction score
I've found the better stamp of grayling very close to the bottom. I therefore use a float, usually an Avon, that can carry a fair amount of weight, usually up to 5g. With the flow at LIF this certainly doesn't impair the presentation.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My personal choice is a 3.5gm Middey Barbel Trotter at this time of the year going up to 4.5 as the flow picks up around mid December.

Great floats...I very nearly mentioned these myself. For pacey flows where I want to get the bait down and not have the float dragged all over the river by the flow I've not yet found anything better.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Agree with all that but I've also fished the really shallow runs "Trent Trotter" style with a stumpy balsa or chubber, bottom end only, no holding back just go with the flow. It can be very effective.

The Itchen and Test are two rivers where I ignore my rule of thumb views on pace. Which is if it's flowing faster than my walking pace, then it's usually going to be hard going. Itchen in particular can really move but still produce some excellent fishing.

mick b

Reaction score
I've found the better stamp of grayling very close to the bottom. I therefore use a float, usually an Avon, that can carry a fair amount of weight, usually up to 5g. With the flow at LIF this certainly doesn't impair the presentation.

I was going to say the exactly the same.

Light end gear gets blown around all over the place by the downstream current, counter flow and sideways currents, if youve not seen it this is a managed river with large boulders, groynes and flow deflectors all along the river many completely obscured from sight.

Near the bottom is an absolute essential, as is ensuring your float and bait are on exactly the same line every time.

As to depth, please dont step in and think it will barely reach your waist because in places there will be 3-4 feet of water..........above your head :eek:mg:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Perfect practice session for our December event. And far better weather than last FM event.

Hammered with rain from first cast.

Wind blew, River rose; debris built up so only just fishable.

Got soaked through. Maggots floated. Tackle all dripping wet.

Caught few chub to 5lb, couple roach to lb.
Lost too many fish.

Enjoyed it

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Although not the Itchen, just witnessed and took photo of a cracking 3 lb 1 oz grayling. Just to get your hopes up for the 1st.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Presume the Frome Rog.

Has some cracking fish. Is it worth fishing the day ticket lower stretches?
Ang recommendations
Cheers
Graham

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Graham, it was indeed the Frome.

I don't know of any day ticket stretches but there are three stretches to my knowledge controlled by local clubs. Two of which I believe have a winter season ticket that allows fishing from Nov to end of season for the same price thereabouts as a day on the LIF.

The tidal stretch below the bridge in Wareham is free fishing which although known in the past for its roach fishing is not considered a mecca for grayling.

mick b

Reaction score
Hi guys or those planning to attend the Fish-in.

Gave it a go today and the water looks superb, silt dropping out and level back to the norm.
Need a bit of a flood to sort the bottom out but that will come soon enough.

Everything is looking good for your visit :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Cheers Mick, I've fished it in gale force winds, torrential rain, nice frosty conditions and four seasons in one day.............I'll take whatever's thrown at me and blame Windy afterwards..............;)

Status
Not open for further replies.