lure/shad hooks

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i was looking at some fladden weighted shads on ebay and noticed that instead of the normal round bend on the hooks,it was hexagonal in shape....why is this???
does the hexagonal shape of the bend aid hooking in any way??? what are the pros and cons of this shape???

L

levelspiker

I`m presuming that the design of the hook is to prevent the shad from sliding around the bend of the hook.I`ve had no problems with their hooking ability or strength.
Has anyone else got any views on this?

G

Gary Knowles

Nick - I've used them for a while and can only guess like the post above that the design is to stop the rubber shad or grub from sliding off.

as for their hooking ability, i've dropped few if any fish off, they hold a sharp point, sharpen well and although I've had no monsters on them i have landed twenties using braid so they must be pretty strong.

i use them exclusivley for fishing mag grubs.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I've used plenty of jigs and jig heads with the hook design you describe...I've never had any bother.

C

Chris Bishop

Try grub screws, a few people now make them.

Basically a wire screw with an eye - some come weighted - you screw into the front of the lure, fix a stinger hook to this with a few inches of strong wire and nick it into the bait.

I hook loads more doing this, don't like the weighted heads/big single, reckon I miss every other fish on them.

I like a big grub with minimal weight so I can fish it slow.

Grubs and shads are a fraction of the price if you buy them unrigged.

B

Bob Watson

Is your pic of the rigged up grub screw on here Chris? A picture speaks a thousand words.

I've ony got a couple of Barrys' left, I'll have to do some begging shortly.

C

Chris Bishop

I've got some knocking about somewhere, I can sort you out a few.

Haven't seen Barry in ages.

B

Bob Watson

I'm ok for now thanks mate,

I'm hoping to be down your way soon with a young lad that catches big Pike for fun... honest Chris, loads of Tees and swale biggies!! he's wanted to have a crack at the fens for a long time but has no transport, so muggins invited him to share petrol etc...