Marsden's Musings, or why Fishing Forums are becoming less popular

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
A Fishing Magics Screen Name for me can be whatever that person wants it to be.
If i want to know their name, i will just ask them.
People in real life don't walk around with name tags on them, if you want to know who they are you ask.
If anyone wishes to know who i am , let them ask me, and then that way they can introduce themselves as well, it is a lot more personal that way and it helps to break the ice.
Imagine if your name was Richard Head, you wouldn't want to join if you had to reveal your real name and you felt awkward doing so.
I went to school with an Indian Guy his name was Ashit Karrea, he ended up working in McDonalds (ironic)
My name is on my profile under biography -: But i would still rather be asked my name rather than have it broadcasted for me.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Greta,

Slime still has stars in his eyes...:wh:wh:D

Will have to get CF mag and have a read, its the only mag I buy regarding fishing. No you lot can't have a look at the others.

sagalout

Reaction score
What is the hang up with real names? There could be any number of reasons for not using your real name on a public world wide medium.

If it really is a problem then why don't you start a poll Ron, and if there is a majority in favour of real names only then all psuedonym users can change to their real name of Mike Smith.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to be part of this community, then make yourself known.

If you don't, you can't complain if there appears to be a clique!

I certainly think twice about responding to a non profile poster

Chris Season32

Reaction score
If member want to take that risk by using their real names thats fine, but any attempts to make it mandatory may result in unforseen consequences. There are risks associated with using your real name on forums, and more than a few cretins out there who see anglers as a target. Are the members on here pushing for real names prepaired to take resposibility for the risks?

Be careful what you wish for when it effects others.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If i hung up on past experiances:

I would never have dated another woman after the first one.
Got back on my Motorbike after i fell off.
Carried on fishing after everytime i blanked.

Sorry, but i really think that is quite sad.

No, profile no chat ............. :(

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well of the 7 plus years I have been on here, not once have I had an abusive email, or come to that, a direct complaint from anybody.

So tell us what the risks are Chris?

Well Steph,some of us assess the risks first, once bitten, twice shy!

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Why???????

j-peg, there have been times when nameless members arrived on the scene, whom made no attempt at creating a profile, gave no introduction and most of all made no attempt to make a positive part impact in any way on the site, some had a sole agenda to take the p*$$ (for want of a better expression) or harass established members.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No paronoia, it used to happen on here agreat deal.

What have you to hide?

The newby no name would suddenly turn out to be just a smartarse trying to get one over on posters .

Last edited:

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Sorry Fred but I don't care for rubbing shoulders with you, I think the sentiments you've expressed nicely illustrate what is wrong with this forum.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
What would stop say myself creating a profile and still reacting in that P!55 taking manner??

I think there is to much of a hang up on people's names.
It's the person that is important.
If i changed my screen name to Steph McKenzie, would that change peoples opinions of me? No, why? because they have already made up there minds about me in one form or another.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steph, you have been part of this set up for some while, you have a profile,so we know who you are.

The other bloke though who has already made his thoughts known about this Forum, may not be accepted the same way as you are!

So the feelings he expresses are certainly mutual from my point of view!

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Fred,

I worked hard to be "Accepted" not sure if that is the right word, sounds like i had to go through an initiation.
I to have had my moments, and said things that i believe are true to me that will no doubt upset others and their beliefs, but i never try to make it personal.
That is another thing that winds me up, and it isn't derogative or just personal to you Fred, But who is this other bloke, is it code, you want people to display their names but then use "the other bloke".
Have you tried to contact this other bloke and let him know?? perhaps he doesn't realise that that is the impression he is giving off, to others.
If you don't want to contact him, PM me and i'll contact him, he might turn out to be a decent guy who just has a bad way of expressing himself.
If he's a w***er, at least we as a community would have been fair and honest with him and given him a chance.
He might not appreciate it, but he will respect our honesty.

Bluenose

Reaction score
What would stop say myself creating a profile and still reacting in that P!55 taking manner??

I think there is to much of a hang up on people's names.
It's the person that is important.
If i changed my screen name to Steph McKenzie, would that change peoples opinions of me? No, why? because they have already made up there minds about me in one form or another.

Steph, you do take an active part and as such are treated as an active member. If your part in the forum was to solely be negative or harass then generally you would probably be treated differently.

The point I made, and that I think Fred referred to, were those nameless members whose sole purpose was to disrupt. It's Fred's choice to respond to whom he sees fit.

I agree that using your real name should not be a pre-requisite, people have a right to privacy and there are many members here whose real names I do not know, but who I 'recognise' as being sensible posters due to the number and type of posts they have made.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I agree totally EC,

There are people out there who struggle with computers as a whole, and have never been part of a forum before and don't know to fill out a profile or just don't know what to say in a profile until they've been online for a while, i just think it is wrong to judge everyone without giving them a chance first.
Personal choice, Yes.

quattro

Reaction score
j-peg, there have been times when nameless members arrived on the scene, whom made no attempt at creating a profile, gave no introduction and most of all made no attempt to make a positive part impact in any way on the site, some had a sole agenda to take the p*$$ (for want of a better expression) or harass established members.

It's a pity a few "a*seh*les" can spoil it for those who may have quite legitimate reasons for anonymity. Still, I suppose it's up to each of us to decide who we wish to correspond with, and who not to. I would like to think members would be judged on their posts not on their profile (or lack of).