Massive Hunting Turn Out

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
The point is that you can't protest about something you already have. If you start protesting about the thought of losing it then you bring it to the debating table and you have achieved the anti's work for them - it's in the public eye.

And I'm sorry to say that from evidence so far reading this and many other forums then the words brewery and piss up spring to mind.

You can say what you like about the CA, but since they were only formed in 1997 they have become the prominent voice for country pursuits - regardless of the current bias towards hunting. That is 7 lost years where angling could have been promoting itself as the ethical country pursuit, or purely promoting itself by being aligned with the CA.

Whatever happens, if anglers do not agree a common goal and then work together to promote it, we are screwed. One assocation for all branches of angling - can it ever successfully exist?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know why people are so paranoid about losing Angling. It is not going to go, period. In fact this present government, whatever you might feel about it in general, has made more positive noises (and stumped up a hefty chunk of change to buy out the East Coast salmon drift-netters, in order to British rivers and their benefit rod-and-line salmon-fishers) about the environmental and social benefits of our sport than any government of any hue before it.

I watched Jeremy Paxman interview Otis Ferry (21-year-old son of RoxyM's Bryan) on BBC's Newsnight last night. Otis, Joint Master of Fox Hounds of the Ledbury Hunt in Herefordshire, one of the Commons' invaders back in mid October, sounding off about he and his fellow-hunters are grossly misunderstood and picked upon; about how they just want to be left alone. Paxman pitched a "Well, that's all well and good, but you're really just a privileged Toff, aren't you?" type line at him. It made highly uncomfortable viewing.

We are not where he is, nor will we EVER be, if we stay in touch with real people and the real world. I am not for banning ANYTHING or ANYBODY, but when I see people around who, by their attitudes and actions, seem hell-bent on banning themselves...

W

Wolfman Woody

-And Paxman goes fishing!

I'll buy some of your "covert" method Paul. Many is the time ordinary memners of the public have had a word with me whilst fishing and I have found no animosity whatsoever. So I have been nothing but friendly and informative in return. Works a treat.

Only this summer I had a couple who'd won a weekend at the hotel wanting some fishing lessons, but only because they'd won the right to have them. I quickly found out that they weren't all that keen on fishing, but we tried for them for thre and a half hours. It was a bad day, but when she caught a 8oz dace she was over the moon.

I dare to say I'll come up against some awkward stroppy sod sometime, but so far everyone's been fine about my sport.

M

MaNick

I agree Jeff, iv'e never known any anymosity or bad feeling on the bank.

My suggestion for making people aware of whats going on in the Angling world was meant as "covert" self promotion, rather than the "look angling is great, please dont ban it!" approach.... ;-)

The very fact that angling crosses so many boundries is core to the fact that we find it very difficult to agree on anything... and that could be our detriment.
There are angling methods that i dont like, i would never VOiCe them though, because i think we need to stick together!