Morale booster

ian g

Reaction score
Great thread this loads of fantastic pictures , do we have a thread of the year? If so this would be my nomination .

Aknib

Reaction score
A picture of me which Crow took during a stick float session on the Trent about four years ago...

nottskev

Reaction score
And here's Crow himself. Graham with a chub on a bitterly cold day on the river

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
DSCN0112.jpg

Dorset Frome roach swim at dusk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice swim! Btw, I haven't seen ferrules like that for a while, Mark! It's not Spanish Reed, is it?

I think that's an oddity of a rod I came across. It is solid cane of some sort by Marco, it had the Marco transfer on it just above the butt and just the number 42. The other odd thing was the top section was solid glass, it fitted perfectly and I quite liked it, I liked the solid two sections with quite a whippy top glass section, looked ideal for roach fishing. Of coarse the purist would have a fit at such a monstrosity but I liked it. Unfortunately I lost it, a long story, I will tell it sometime. never got to try it out much before that to test my theory it was a good roach rod; I think I picked it up for £12 in a antique shop. Not sure if it was Spanish Reed, I dont really know the difference but it was vary light in colour, beige as opposed to the darker colour usual with split cane. I did try to investigate and apparently Marco did make some cane rods with solid glass top sections, not unknown during the 50's when glass started to become popular over cane before the carbon revolution.

Actually having said all that I just had another look at the picture and it does not look like a glass tip on it so i blew up the picture on my computer and I still cannot really tell, might have it wrong but it looks like the Marco rod I once had. I will have a think on about it.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This just gives a prospective of the size of a cormorants beak and shows the fish that look large are not as large as they apear. The reel is 4 1/2 inches across the front.

Aknib

Reaction score
Porky Winter Barbel taken on stick 'n maggot, must have needed every bit of speed to escape the otter which had taken a nip off the edge of his tail...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Edited post

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think that's an oddity of a rod I came across. It is solid cane of some sort by Marco, it had the Marco transfer on it just above the butt and just the number 42. The other odd thing was the top section was solid glass, it fitted perfectly and I quite liked it, I liked the solid two sections with quite a whippy top glass section, looked ideal for roach fishing. Of coarse the purist would have a fit at such a monstrosity but I liked it. Unfortunately I lost it, a long story, I will tell it sometime. never got to try it out much before that to test my theory it was a good roach rod; I think I picked it up for £12 in a antique shop. Not sure if it was Spanish Reed, I dont really know the difference but it was vary light in colour, beige as opposed to the darker colour usual with split cane. I did try to investigate and apparently Marco did make some cane rods with solid glass top sections, not unknown during the 50's when glass started to become popular over cane before the carbon revolution.

Actually having said all that I just had another look at the picture and it does not look like a glass tip on it so i blew up the picture on my computer and I still cannot really tell, might have it wrong but it looks like the Marco rod I once had. I will have a think on about it.

Notskev, I think it was the rod, it was the only solid cane I ever owned but I might have been trying a split cane top section from another rod, I had plenty at the time and maybe found one to fit which does not happen often but, I vaguely remember doing that.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Talking of herons, this one would sit all day in this tree at my friends house waiting for us to go indoors, he had a big outside goldfish pond with about 50 goldfish in it.