More sticky method mix

B

binka

pellets are perfect when checked them after work . this is what il be doing

I'm pleased it worked out for you Matt, those few hours make all the difference :)

Let us know how you get on with it when you get a chance to use 'em.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
well next time im going out im going after tench and they all seem to come to feeders on the lake rather than the waggler , but would be using the smaller drennan feeders rather than the esp does sound like a bomb going off in the lake !

how often would you recast ?

B

binka

how often would you recast ?

That's a bit of an how long is a piece of string question but if the fish were feeding I would be using a mix that broke down much quicker, instead of the pellets.

If there's a large head of small fish, or I needed a robust mix for a really long chuck, I would be back with the stickier pellets which will stand up to their attentions longer until the better/target fish come along.

If you're not having much luck with the waggler maybe give it another try with the bait hard on the deck and a lot of different, fine feed such as finely chopped worm with micros and dead maggots, I've found tench love foraging for all the fine stuff and will often push out the smaller fish as soon as they realise it's there... Try carpeting it instead of little and often if small fish are a nuisance.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i know alot who fish this lake and the tench are not coming in close yet , feeders been doing well . I know tench love the little gem pellets i use so was going to try a xs solid bag on a avon rod in an alarm and cast and recast every hour .

been there plenty with method feeder with these pellets and groundbait on a method feeder but found standard groundbait explodes too much so maybe wet it more and sprinkle some vitalin to make more tacky .

could try lift method or even a polaris on a float rod . When you say carpet it in i assume you mean bait quite heavy to start off with on keep topping up throughout the day ?

B

binka

Yep pretty much, if small fish are plentiful they can polish off much of the loose feed before it even hits the deck and I reckon a good carpet of bait will both get there in the first place and stay there long enough for some decent fish to find it but you'll have to gauge how much depending on the variables of the water and the conditions.

If that is the case I would only loose feed when the fish turn up, in an attempt to hold them, otherwise I would just top up at intervals depending on whether or not you think the initial feed has been polished off.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I find myself using groundbait less and less but always take it with me .

Is there any point using particles like boiled bird food with seeds etc or don't they work too well for tench ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

Party mixes are something I don't really use, probably because I don't fish for carp very often but I don't see why Tench wouldn't go for it.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Worth a try along with hemp . Don't ever do big pit fishing personally so don't spod out particle . Started loose feeding it close in on a club water . Works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
but found standard groundbait explodes too much so maybe wet it more and sprinkle some vitalin to make more tacky .

It sounds like you are either using the wrong mi or not mixing it correctly . . . .

Depending on the depth of the water and how long you want the ground bait to take to break down then that will effect firstly the mix you use and secondly the way you mix it.

You can extend the tme it takes to break down by simply usng the one mix and thenL

1. having sieved it a couple of time make up the ball and only squeeze hard enough to make it bind.

2. Make the next set squeezing really hard . . . .

3. Make a 3rd set as per the second set but then wet your hands and put a film of water over the balls.

These will then all break down at different rates over quite some time.

It is a trick we learned on those big bream waters in Denmark where the kiss of death was to keep raining bait down onto the fish. They simply spooked.

By using that method you could keep the fish in your swim for a very long time indeed.

For those Tench I'd probably use something like Van den Eynde Expo and depending on the depth then add in up to 30% Turbo and that should stick like the proverbial to the blanket.

You can always add in some well soaked pellet to eke out the volume and it shouldn't effect the mix too much . . . . .

Have you thought about maybe using a mix of wetted pellet with additional binding agent such as PV1 Collant?

It is a rather sweet but sticky additive than when incorporated in a mix can increase the amount of loose feed you can put in . . .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
It sounds like you are either using the wrong mi or not mixing it correctly . . . .

Depending on the depth of the water and how long you want the ground bait to take to break down then that will effect firstly the mix you use and secondly the way you mix it.

You can extend the tme it takes to break down by simply usng the one mix and thenL

1. having sieved it a couple of time make up the ball and only squeeze hard enough to make it bind.

2. Make the next set squeezing really hard . . . .

3. Make a 3rd set as per the second set but then wet your hands and put a film of water over the balls.

These will then all break down at different rates over quite some time.

It is a trick we learned on those bid bream waters in Denmark where the kiss of death was to keep raining bait down onto the fish. they simple spooked.

By using that method you could keep the fish in your swim for a very long time indeed.

For those Tench I'd probably use something like Van den Eynde Expo and depending on the depth then add in up to 30% Turbo and that should stick like the proverbial to the blanket.

You can always add in some well soaked pellet to eke out the volume and it shouldn't effect the mix too much . . . . .

Have you thought about maybe using a mix of wetted pellet with additional binding agent such as PV1 Collant?
It is a rather sweet but sticky additive than when incorporated in a mix can increase the amount of loose feed you can put in . . .
Since this post have perfected it chaps , commercial type feeder pellets in a bait tub and fill up to pellet level with water and leave for 30 mins and if not sticky add horlics .

Groundbait wise found a few different mixes that are more sticky and I think was mixing it too dry .

Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk