Mr Monk.....

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I have a collection of the old NASA mags in the shed Monk and if memory serves me right you did a few write ups for them, do you have copies?, if not I'll gladly forward these mate.

T

The Monk

Cheers Murray, yes I wrote for most issues, I think the editors published them because they couldnt get his hands on any proper articles haha. I have a full set actually going right back to Freeline and the NASG days, but thanks for the offer anyway mate, hope your sheds dry though those things could be worth a few bob in the future mate.

G

Gary Knowles

Murray,

Trust me you don't want to start getting too freindly with the monk. I was only a wee slip of a lad when our paths first crossed and I've never been the same since.

Yeah, he wrote for NASA, he would, he was always spaced out when I saw him....

T

The Monk

haha, nice one Gary, the good old daze eh

Never as spaced out as our mate Elvis though, (God rest his liver)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Tell us all about Elvis Monk.

And what about Jayce the Ace and Gayboy Lee; and Ming!!!

And the Boggart Bivvy Butler.

You don't get characters like these anymore.

T

The Monk

Poor old Elvis died last year Ron, I thought you`d met him? may not, dont know whats happend to Jace and Gayboy. last I heard they were doing the French thing on some secret water and they wouldnt tell anybody where it was, not as they were catching much!

Ming met a women and got married, she dosent let him out much.

The BBB is in prison for GBH, dont really see much of the lads these days, when the Boggarts Clough died we all went our ways I suppose, Boggart Mikes still doing the business though, last I heard he was on the Meres, two of the Johns died as well, Toffee and Old, while Doyly and Frog Eyed Joe moved down to Bournemouth

R

And what about the most infamous of the lot: "Gut Bucket".

I often hear rumours of a weird character who is bivvied up on the Trent near Hepworth, North of Gainsborough. He has a hot line to the local DSS, the Pizza joint, the off-licence and has a blow up doll in his bivvy.

Could this be Gut Bucket?

Come on you southerners, do you have carp fishing characters like this?

I guess not.

T

The Monk

No, old Gut Bucket spent a bit of time on her majesty`s, not sure whats happend to him either?,

it does sound like one of our lads though Ron.

R

"Doyly and Frog eyed Joe!"

Sounds like some Manc form of the Kray Brothers.

T

The Monk

good lads, sadly missed mate! You may remember joe, he was in Joannesburg with barry kemp for years, both members of that Harterbeerspoort dam club?? Rand Piscatorials, you belonged to it didnt you?

R

I was on the Committee of the Rand Piscatorial Association for 7 years mate, together with SA angling legend: Trevor Babich who now runs a SA website called Fishing Owl.

www.fishingowl.co.za

We had some good blokes there, all rounders too. We started the fly fishing section and aquired a farm 180 miles away. All this took place between 1968 and 1979.

What great memories.

T

The Monk

I still have some of the old Rand magazines and booklets, for a local Group, the Manchester Carp Group actually had quite a few members in different parts of the world and I always tried to keep in touch.