My generation...

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
There you go Frederico, the greybeards have had their say, although I think that only Phil (The Bad One)really has a beard. There appears to be a fair bit of optimism, but have we changed your mind?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear it;):p, but my take on the change in angling culture (bigger, better and more of them) is a little different. I lay the blame squarely at the angling media and trade. Most of what is written, published and promoted is the realms of fantasy for many average anglers. The waters fished aren't accessible, the amounts/costs of baits are excessive, the time put in, all unfeasible for most.

Thirty years ago the angling media rarely had anything remotely relevant to the water available to me. If anything, things have probably got worse. The only thing that has bridged the gap a little are the much moaned about commercials. There are now a couple of big commercials locally which are about the only chance a local kid has of replicating what they see in the magazines. Big carp fishing doesn't enter the equation, which is why a water that's forty miles away from me is always full, despite the fish rarely breaking the 20lb mark. Down south it would be empty of anyone that considered themselves a remotely serious carper.

I'm sure that the angling media knows what it is doing in its own best interest. I doubt that a twenty pound net full of roach and dace would sell a magazine like a 300lb net full of commercial carp or a single 50lb carp from a water that only a couple of people can legitimately fish. However, I'm not entirely convinced that the fantasy stuff is in the long term interests of angling itself.

It has long struck me that anglers that persist with angling throughout their life fall into two general camps or somewhere in between. Those that reject the fantasy and accept the angling opportunities on their doorstep and those that chase the dream, at great expense, wherever it might present itself.
Those that are limited by real life (money, jobs, family etc) that can't reject the fantasy, usually end up disillusioned very quickly.

frederico

Reaction score
Well Sean (and all the other 'grey beards'), I suppose you have changed my mind and thanks for giving me hope about the future and explaining that things go in cycles, and that with greater experience comes the need for more challenging, yet more relaxing fishing and different hopes and outcomes will be wanted, from a days fishing. My local club, Wetherby Angling Club are the main reason that I am so fond of rivers, because they have allowed me to join in with the matches they hold on rivers and have offered lots of support and advice, as well as giving me lifts to matches that my dad can't get me to, which shows that they too are trying there best to encourage young anglers and secure the future of the club, as well as having a junior day ticket that costs only £1! This is clearly much cheaper than commercials, yet in these hard economic times young anglers ignore it. However you have given me hope for the future and changed my opinion of the young anglers out there. Thank you for the kind comments you have left and for cheering me up!
Cheers
(oh, and I will ALWAYS enjoy my angling, no matter how bad the conditions!)

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
The likes of clubs and such do not bother me as i am not part of one and do not intend to be my concern is with carpers on small local lakes that have 6 rods out and take up both sides of the lake them moan at you when you set up i have grown to hate them with a passion. and there on the rise more and more people are targeting the fish with the same method.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Brian Hazard

Reaction score
I live in Lakenheath, (but originally from Northern Ireland) and am the Hon Secretary of the village Angling Club. For some years, we have had a very low number of Junior members, and whilst I am not match-oriented personally, I do take part in the Club matches, which has an average attendance of about 15 - and I am one of the 'Pools Fodder', giving £1 per fortnight, up to early December.
Several years ago, there was a thriving Junior Section, but now it is in limbo, because of the opening of three commerical waters, in or near, the village.
However, I make occasional visits (with my wife), and sometimes my son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter (who is 18), to one - Cross Drove, because it has the most important facilty for all of us: flush toilets.
It is about seven acres, and is one of the most attractive waters, because the owner has spent years constructing it - virtually every peg is a little bay, with foliage, and there are lots of lily pads. There may be forty anglers there, but you would think you were the only one present.
Matches are held there three times a week (Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday) but there are no hot pegs at all, unlike some venues, where the 'venue expert' is a one swim/one method
angler. The lake is also closed from November to March, so the fish do get a lenghty respite.
In my youth in Northern Ireland, I fished wild loughs and rivers, and they would be my first choice, but as my wife also fishes, I look for venues with proper sanitary arrangements.
I get no favours from the owner (even though we are both 'Mighty Blues' supporters)
I still have to pay (Pensioner rates).
However, speaking as a 'Grumpy Old Man' the modern youth is an 'I want it now', and be an instant expert; us old codgers spent years on the angling journey of discovery, and i believe we appreciated it more. Plenty of effort equals more pleasant results, when it (rarely) comes together.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
fantabulous post young sir, not only its message, but also the language used
bear in mind though, that the comments of grey beards are to be viewed without rose tinted spectacles, and utilising a rear view mirror, meaning look back at what they've achieved in the past thirty years
sitting back and hoping for the best, is a recipe further down the road for the blame game
you display an awareness that belies your age, exploit it to improve your local community and you'll find some grey beards that may help

FIND SOMETHING YOU LIKE, GROW TO LOVE IT, AND YOU'LL WANT TO PROTECT IT

Last edited by a moderator:

cb

Admin
Reaction score
I always feel fishing is a journey were we all start and end at diferent times but I think it normally looks like this:

I want to catch a fish – any fish! (please let it be easy).

I want to catch as many fish as I can.

I want to catch the biggest fish I can.

I want to catch the most challenging fish I can.

I want YOU to catch a fish.

Of course, some go even further and want to win competitions / be famous / write books, articles etc.

There is nothing wrong with any of them. Join in wherever you like and leave whenever you like but above all - enjoy the ride – and preserve and show respect for the fish, environment and other anglers on the way.

chav professor

Reaction score
I am approaching 'grey beard' territory (I am 40)..... In my youth, fishing was something I did to escape boredom and where I found excitement, wonder and could marvel at a secret world myself and my brother made our own.

My river still offers free fishing and I rejoice at the sight of younger anglers walking in the footsteps of myself and my brother. We were creative with our knots, our tackle was circumspect - very dodgy in fact - and hindered our attempts rather than enhancing them..... but that was part of the fun!

My friend who posts on here (Rubio - be interested in his input) has introduced many young anglers to the sport and I have had the privilege to meet many of them on the bank and their enthusiasm mirrors that of myself at their age.

Another one of my friends actively encourages youngsters introducing them to fishing matches and coaching through a local club GVAC. A lot of schools have recognized that fishing can be a useful tool for engaging with children who find school difficult to access for a variety of reason. Fishing offers many great educational benefits.... Sport leaders, literacy - reading and writing about a topic you are passionate about, science - ecology etc, confidence - making a presentation in front of other student about a subject they are passionate about etc...

frederico - you are getting one of the best educations that exists (trust me, I am a teacher)...... the future of fishing is in safe hands!!! Treasure it and pass it on.... Keep posting and contribute you have much to offer this site.