National fishing exam

Joskin

Reaction score
Can you have a literacy in the UK debate on a different thread this one is about a fishing Exam.

Eddie you missed my point. When I said it would never happen I meant on a nationwide scale. One or two clubs wont make much of a difference. And also its the commercial anglers that are the least educated in basic angling skills and the commercials certainly wont do anything to educate anglers.

In answer to your other points I cant say I would feel that I had had any basic rights taken away i.e Civil Liberty, and least of all the right to catch food???Whats that all about then?
If you want to catch food you still could once you had taken the test (mind you there are very few people that fish to put food on the table other than our eastern european visitors).

Why the comment "This is a fishing site, designed to encourage people to fish, not to put up barriers to stop them!"

This site has nowt to do with it.

Reasons thatI have read so far for a test would be to educate anglers on the following.

Water safety. (could stop the many drownings and serious accidents at the waterside).

Correct Fish handling. (To protect the fish that are so precious to us all.)

Correct use of nets. (certain nets for certain species and what can and cant be put into a net)

Fish Identification.

Size limets etc on taking fish for the table.

Shows anglers do care about their quarry and are not the blood thirsty monsters that the antis try to make out.

The importance to stick to rules etc. (keeps Baz off your back)

Legal and ilegal methods.

The list could go on and I am begining to think that perhaps a test would be a good idea. Perhaps people who are against it havent given it enough thought but so far from this discussion the Pros seem to out weigh the cons.

E

EC

All those things you mention are all worthy educational causes, the point is that some clubs do try to do educate as do some commercials. The EA also hold education days and there are some schools which now have angling on the curriculum, there is also Les webbers set up amongst many others! Many of the things you refer to are in club rules, so why the need to implement a national exam when they are in the rules already?

Are you aware of the various size limits of every fish, in each and every region Jos? As if you do not know then by your own agenda you should not be allowed to go fishing!

Regarding liberty mate, why should I pass an exam to cast a rod out and catch my dinner? I am talking sea here but could apply to trout salmon or whatever! Why should I give that right up?

My comments re: the site I feel speak for themselves, I wonder why some people wish to put up barriers to stop others from fishing?

Joskin

Reaction score
Still cant see why you say it would stop people fishing.

I take it from your comments that you think enough is already being done to ensure our sport and our fish are being protected Eddie.

Surly there are ways that some kind of test could be devised that would not exclude or discourage anyone from taking up fishing.

E

EC

'Still cant see why you say it would stop people fishing.'

If you or I failed the exam then we couldn't go mate!

I do feel education is of paramount importance though not enough is being done at present Jos!

The thing the country needs most of all is qualified coaches prepared to give a bit of free time up, get qualified, and show a beginner what to do!

I was pretty much self taught, courtesy of a few books, big brothers, the AT and a few of the big lads at the local pond and so on, when I look back I wonder how I didnt pack it in, I didnt catch my first fish for 6 months. Hence lots of kids dont have that facility and give the sport up after one or 2 goes through being disillusioned!

There are still the 'kingfisher awards' (think they are still called that) which many organised coaching schemes run, these have various levels of proficiency, but arent compulsory.

Joskin

Reaction score
But if you dont know how hard it would be how can you presume anyone would fail?

Joskin

Reaction score
Im not saying anything as it would be silly to say with out knowing how easy or hard the thing would be but I guess that it COULD be pretty easy for all but the stupidest of the stupid and even they could pass with the correct coaching.

Look I dont know the content of the test as we are talking about a test that does not exist but I would welcome any proposition and then make my decision based on the facts and dont see how anyone else could either without knowing the facts.

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

The thing the country needs most of all is qualified coaches prepared to give a bit of free time up, get qualified, and show a beginner what to do!

I thought qualified coaches got paid for teaching anglers Eddie.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Educate -Yes
Test - No

It's supposed to be a hobby/pastime..

What other hobby do you have to have a test to take part in ?

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
What other hobby do you have to have a test to take part in ?

Ham radio, pilot glider/powered, diving etc

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Gliding and diving are a bit different to Fishing, Steve!

Joskin, you don't look very old? Are you suggesting a test should be compulsory for someone who has been fishing for 40 years?

If it was made compulsory, there would be a lot less people fishing, and that surely has to be a fact! How can such action have a positive effect on the future of fishing in this country?

E

EC

There are some schemes in which the coaches get paid Baz, the EA pay occasionally, as do some youth clubs, community centres etc, but usually, and for the most part its voluntary working through clubs like ours mate!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I had enough tests 47 years ago at school -- I'm not starting more now .....

Joskin

Reaction score
"Gliding and diving are a bit different to Fishing, Steve!"

YES and fishing is a little different to alot of other sports in that we are hunting a live Quary so to compare it to any sport would also be rediculous.

Malc also said.

"Joskin, you don't look very old? Are you suggesting a test should be compulsory for someone who has been fishing for 40 years?"

Thanks for the complement:)
I have been fishing for 23 Years and dont think I would have a problem with taking a simple Test so why not the guy that has fished for 40 years.

Once again I am not nececeraly FOR it or AGAINST it I am mearly trying to gather the facts in order for me to make up my mind. People repeatedly saying that "Angling would be worse off for it" or that "There would be alot less people fishing" without backing up what they say with facts is not providing any evedence for me to be AGAINST it.
I still cant see why some people say that there would be alot less anglers if it was to be brought in. If you have good reasons post.

Joskin

Reaction score
And annother thing.
A brief look at this weeks AT suggests that alot of top named and well respected anglers and angling bodies are pushing FOR a test so this would also suggest to me that it would be a good thing.
(please be aware that I have not had time to read the whole of the AT yet and get the whole picture so there may well be points raised in it that would be AGAINST the idea but im sure some of you will let me know if there are)