New Cadence rod...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Hugh (Chevin4) texted me this morning informing me Cadence have brought out a new 3lb t.c. floodwater barbel rod, fcs, I take it we will have 1lb 8oz roach rods and 2lbs 12oz roach rods to follow, absurd....

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know about those but I have a pair of the 1.75 tc Cadence Barbel rods which I am happy with. What I like about the Cadence rods is unlike alot of modern rods they are strong enough to withstand being banged about and poked into the odd tree or bush without braking which is essential for the type of fishing I do.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Agreed Philip, I have two float rods, the 11ft #2 is a brilliant rod and I've caught lots of decent fish on it and I've only had it a few years, barbel to nearly 10lbs, tench to 8lbs, carp to 17lbs plus, lots of chub to over 5lbs, roach over 2lbs, as good for gudgeon as it is for stopping lumps, more often than not my go to rod if depths allow...

Philip

Reaction score
The 1.25 Avon quiver is another that is bullet proof. Its perhaps on the heavy side of 1.25tc but I have had all sorts on that ranging from big Roach right up to large Cats....a real all rounder of a rod.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I take your point, I actually thought the 2lb rod was too heavy which is why I went for the 1.75tc so I do agree with you but on the other hand what difference does it make to me if someone else wants to use a 3lb rod ? Heck let them use a 6 foot marlin rod if they want !

i imagine Cadence like the other rod makers are just following the market and if the demand is for heavier rods then thats what they will make. On the bright side if it really annoys you that much just wait a few years ...I bet there is a swing back to lighter rods again & they will become the must have bit of kit.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Heavier and heavier rods with anglers scared to bend into fish, why use a barbel rod when a catfish rod will do....

Philip

Reaction score
I blame the Carpers ! :)

More seriously, yes I think the rods nowadays are too heavy in general but again I dont really see the issue if someone else wants to use that sort of tackle along with bolt rigs, bolies or whatever else, as long as there are still lighter rods around then I can still fish how I want to as well.

Each to their own ?

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Eventually you won't be able to buy light t.c. rods and the angling media will tell you you need heavy rods, hey-ho...(bloody carpers)🤣

Philip

Reaction score
There will always be lighter rods available, you only have to look at FM to see there are enough people who want them & if not then there will be the second hand market. Plus there is the whole businees of basically rebadging existing rods with a new name ...look at "Pellet wagglers" ...I didnt even know what that meant when they came out but in many cases I pick one up and I see an "avon" rod. ...same way as they could call my 1.75tc "Barbel rods" ... "light carp busters"...or "super heavy pellet waggler" ...same rod at the end of the day.

The other way of looking at it is that if everyone is using 3lb TC rods and luzzing out massive feeders and leads then it leaves trundling or floatfishing a bit of meat down the edge all to you..what a fantastic little "edge"(I think they call it) you have over everyone else ;)

On the theme of lighter rods, I just got myself a DV 11 foot 0.75tc rod (I whince thinking about getting yet another rod) which I am looking forward to trying on some small streams this winter.

seth49

Reaction score
Nowadays the first rod out of my hold-all is my Korum allrounder 1.1 lb test curve quiver, I bought this last year and I really like it, a 1lb tench isn’t overgunned and yet I’ve had carp too 17lb 2 oz on it, it is a real allrounder, and at around £60 isn’t to dear either. It’s a 10 footer with three tips.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
On the theme of lighter rods, I just got myself a DV 11 foot 0.75tc rod (I whince thinking about getting yet another rod) which I am looking forward to trying on some small streams this winter.

I recently chatted to Hugh about this rod, he didn't like the cork handle, I found it excellent, we are all different, my two gripes are this, the common one being the rod bag, which is pathetic, the other, more of a problem imo, is the ringing, I think that it could do with at least one, maybe two more rings on the tip as when float fishing and playing half tidy fish there is a noise which I relate to angles between the guides...

Keith M

Reaction score
I see that Cadence (and a lot of the other makes) no longer sell 1.5lb 12ft Barbel rods, but that’s probably because everyone these days has to have heavier and heavier test curve rods with very large feeders, so they just don’t seem to sell. I often go down to my 1.5lb Barbel rod in low and clear conditions and love using it.

Keith

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I see that Cadence (and a lot of the other makes) no longer sell 1.5lb 12ft Barbel rods, but that’s probably because everyone these days has to have heavier and heavier test curve rods with very large feeders, so they just don’t seem to sell. I often go down to my 1.5lb Barbel rod in low and clear conditions and love using it.

Keith
I think it was Tony Miles who said theres not a Barbel that swims that can't be tamed on a good 1.50tc rod. I have currently asked my rod builder to make me a 11ft 1.50tc Torrix

chevin4

Reaction score
Nowadays the first rod out of my hold-all is my Korum allrounder 1.1 lb test curve quiver, I bought this last year and I really like it, a 1lb tench isn’t overgunned and yet I’ve had carp too 17lb 2 oz on it, it is a real allrounder, and at around £60 isn’t to dear either. It’s a 10 footer with three tips.
I guess the 1.1lb Korum all-rounder is a different animal to the 11ft 1.1lb expert. My friend brought a pair of these and offered them to me. I managed to sell them for him at a knock down price they were simply horrid stiff as a snooker cue with a totally understated test curve.

chevin4

Reaction score
Eventually you won't be able to buy light t.c. rods and the angling media will tell you you need heavy rods, hey-ho...(bloody carpers)🤣
I think we are heading that way. Century no longer produce rods in test curves below 1.75. It is a shame some of their rod's were excellent particularly the Armalite range.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I often use my 1.25lb t.c. Normark Bob James barbel rod at the small river we fish, in fact I don't give a toss what others say, I have caught so many low doubles on that rod when they were big fish and I fish for my enjoyment, I've said a few times now, but many anglers are scared to bend their rods fully, in fear of them breaking ??? who knows, but if they did break they are sh1t rods and no mistake...

chevin4

Reaction score
I often use my 1.25lb t.c. Normark Bob James barbel rod at the small river we fish, in fact I don't give a toss what others say, I have caught so many low doubles on that rod when they were big fish and I fish for my enjoyment, I've said a few times now, but many anglers are scared to bend their rods fully, in fear of them breaking ??? who knows, but if they did break they are sh1t rods and no mistake...

nottskev

Reaction score
So there's a rod on the market with Barbel and 3lb on the butt? I don't want want one, but it doesn't bother me if some do. The phrase "barbel fishing" suggests it's always much the same thing, but in reality the conditions and demands can be worlds apart. I fished for barbel through the summer, and caught them on: an old but classy 13' float rod; a pellet waggler rod; an Avon rod; a 1.75 lb barbel rod; a 2lb + barbel rod labelled Snag and Flood, and a 10' 2.75 lb rod for places where the snags overhead are as bad as the ones in the water. I love it when you can fish "pretty" with the more lightweight gear, but, the gear has to match the demands and one size does not fit all. For just one example, in swims where the barbel live amongst and just past the rocks shoring up the bank, a rod that bends a lot, say a 12' 1.75 Torrix, generally a pleasure to use with its flexible top section, can become a liability, as it keeps bending as you try to stop the fishes first bolt, and this gives the fish the small margin it needs to pull your line across the rocks and snags and cut you off. The Chimera Snag and Flood, clue in the name, stops that happening much more effectively.

Just as I was looking at this thread, I noticed social media stuff from a group of anglers who fish a complex on the lower middle Trent that has a clutch of big pits and a prolific stretch of river. The posts show anglers have been fishing overnight for barbel, with the exception of a day or two at the height of the floods, throughout this long period of high water. The conditions are something else. An angler asks if his 5 oz leads will be ok, and gets answers that 10oz won't hold in some swims, but 8oz should do. There is no chance I'll ever go in for anything like this, but I'm not about to try and tell them what rods they should be using. It's an angling niche, and the 3lb Barbel Rod a niche product the vast majority can just ignore.

The debate around what gear barbel anglers should use comes around regularly