New Drennan rods

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have to admit to also being a tackle tart. But, I still believe that the mainroute to success in angling lies with; water selection, watercraft and technique. It is undoubtedly more pleasant to fish with balanced tackle and Iusually do, but I feel that by burdening ourselves with unnecessary tackle that will only play a marginal roll in success we actually reduce rather than enhance our chances of success.

The fish don't know that you have the latest most super duper rod or reel. The bit they see is the bit that's in the water.By lugging all this extra kit around we basically turn ourselves into trappers rather than hunters. Instead of being adaptable and reactive to conditions we become static and immobile.

I mainly fish small rivers and this was brought home to me last season. On one trip to the river I had with me; one stick float rod, two avon/quiver rods,one trotting rod, two centre pins , three fixed spools and a closed face reel in case it was windy. The result was, thatwhen conditions changed I was not better able to cope due to all this gear but rather anchored to the spot. I noticed that over a period of time my catches actually decreasedwith the more gear that I took.

Different approach next season.Two rods, two reels and the bare minimum of other tackle.

C

Colin North, the one and only

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I have to admit to also being a tackle tart. But, I still believe that the mainroute to success in angling lies with; water selection, watercraft and technique. It is undoubtedly more pleasant to fish with balanced tackle and Iusually do, but I feel that by burdening ourselves with unnecessary tackle that will only play a marginal roll in success we actually reduce rather than enhance our chances of success.

The fish don't know that you have the latest most super duper rod or reel. The bit they see is the bit that's in the water.By lugging all this extra kit around we basically turn ourselves into trappers rather than hunters. Instead of being adaptable and reactive to conditions we become static and immobile.

I mainly fish small rivers and this was brought home to me last season. On one trip to the river I had with me; one stick float rod, two avon/quiver rods,one trotting rod, two centre pins , three fixed spools and a closed face reel in case it was windy. The result was, thatwhen conditions changed I was not better able to cope due to all this gear but rather anchored to the spot. I noticed that over a period of time my catches actually decreasedwith the more gear that I took.

Different approach next season.Two rods, two reels and the bare minimum of other tackle.</blockquote>
One rod, flask, food and baitin a tiny bag, one chair, landing net, bits of tackle in pockets and thats it for me when I go roving.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Good points, so why is it that the top guys that continually get the better specimens all use rods designed for the job in hand? And it has to be more than just confidence or what makes them happy.

DZ

Reaction score
Cos they get em for free- in affect getting paid to use them..........

Top Guys? Who's a top guy?

Some of thetop guysdont do publishing, dont do forums, dont do photos of fish, some dont even do carbon. But they do do catching fish- if quietly.

The most succesful angler in this country has never told a soul!

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I have had a chuck with an Interceptor rod, (Grahams I believe) and the feeling I got through the rod on the cast (70 yds) was unbelieviable. Totally different to any rod I have ever used. Smooth, accurate, an absolute dream.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Steff horak and Phill Smith use old michell 300's and from the magazine pic's not the latest rods. Nothing wrong with their catches. Two former long standing record carp on cane rods. Plus, many "Top" anglers are sponsored by tackle manufacturers. Also certain Angling Times Journalists get them for nout. Bas***s.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

And that was with a 1.5 oz maggot feeder atattched. Fantastic action on the rod.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I think that you will also find Ray that Stef and Phil use rods that are very well suited for the particular style of fishing they do.

I agree with your genral principle that other factors such as technique etc are key but little point in having the fish lined up in front of you if you cannot cast accurately to them because your rod is undergunned or if you are able to hook them, for the hook to pull out because your rod is to stiff.

Having the right tool for the job is very important;where it becomes a little ridiculous is when you have about 3 tools for the job!

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I would be a tad peed off though if Dougal or Ray was sat next to me with an old clothes prop and caught bigger specimens than what I did if I was useing a Drennan or Interceptor. (-:

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Phils gear is a disaster zone, he still catches good fish though. I was close to chucking his 300s in the lake the other week, line everywhere. Still, he loves them and uses them on most occasions although when we were trolling on Blithfield a while back i was relieved to see a couple of bait runners come out the bag.

Stef made me laugh a while back. I was Breaming a rather large gravel pit, Phil bought Stef down for his first session on the place. After showing him some good spots at range Stef went out in the boat, put some markers out around 130 yard range, baited up from the boat came back ashore, tackled upwith some right shite old 300s, rods from the 1800s,took baited rod into boat, rowed out to markers, dropped baited rig over the side got half way back to the bank and run out of line, spent next three days fishing the river behind him, tit. /forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Dougal Ziegler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

The most succesful angler in this country has never told a soul!</blockquote>

How do you know?

Unless it's you of course.

And now you've just told a hell of lot of people
smile_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nigel(ACA ,SAA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I think that you will also find Ray that Stef and Phil use rods that are very well suited for the particular style of fishing they do.</blockquote>
Ok Wol, I'll take that back then! I was thinking more of the gearI have seen them using on the rivers in their articles.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

My best expierience of being or not being tooled up for the job in hand, was when I was Breaming with a mate on Boundary.

I had three rods and a bag full of gear. I chose to swing tip for them on this day. The mate went to great lengths in telling me how people like me who braught too much tackle with them made him laugh. You should learn to be more like me he said, one rod, landing net, and everything I want in my pockets. Travel light next time mate he said.

I sat down and began to tackle up. The next thing there was a little tap on my shoulder. Eeeeer Baz?

Have you got a pair of scissors I can borrow mate? And have you got..........................

Don't you just love it when their advice backfires on them? Hahaaaaaaaa.

DZ

Reaction score
In angling, success should be measured by happiness/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

honslow

Reaction score
I'm fairly well down the poncing ladder to be honest. The number of 'good' rods I've ended up with for nowt I could count on one hand! Plenty of guys in this office don't get much tackle or bait at all really.

I'm really looking forward to checking these rods out and reviewing them. I spoke to someone at Drennan about two years ago to see if they made what I was after but I had to settle on a pair of Tunley-built Chimera 2s. The rods will definitley plug a gap from what I can see. And I'd imagine they'll pass for decent barbel and small-ish carp rods as well. I'm particularly keen on the idea of the 2lb version as I reckonthey willmake decent barbel flood/big riverrods and will berods I can use for Nene carp. I've got a pair of 2lb 9oz Hearns (paid for I might add) and I find them pretty stiff! Everyone else reckons they're good bream rods! God knows how I'd feel fishing with 3.5lb rods!!!!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

What will land smallish carp Greg?......Walkers 11/2lb rod was a flop stick compared to some of the rods we are talking about, but didn't it do the trick?.......i would happily fish for 30lb carp on the right 2lb rods.

Landing fish and casting accuratly to a distance are two different things.....i have a pair of 10yr old plus 11/4 rods that can cast 2oz loaded feeders a fair old distance AND hook fish......British made to boot....not gonna let on what they are cos i want some for my lad off you know where /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

My original point was really that sometimes "great" rods ain't really recognised but expensive "names" have people purring over them............£300 for a far eastern made avon rod??? not out of methey won't!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

PS.....my two fav all time blanks, Harrison and Daiwa.

Shakespeare have, and do made some superb blanks, or at least put their name to them,...............but thats because they have made so many they have to accidently hit gold every now and then.

Mach 2 and 3 .......buy em if you are on a budget, or just tight /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

If you want a decent carp rod that will chuck a bait 100yds and be real fun to play carp on then you should go for 3lb TC Harrison Ballista Slims. I use mine for Eels and Pike and they are great for both. They have a lovely smooth action and are sensitive but with bags of power in reserve when you are into a good fish.

Good tackle won't make you a good fisherman but great tackle is ajoy to fish with,fills you with confidence and certainly will see you put more fish on the bank.

If you buy a pair of Interceptors for fishing for Tench and Bream at medium to long range you won't ever need to replace themunless they get stolen or you break them. the funny thing is that whilst they are the best they are certainly not the most expensive.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Dougal, absolutely spot on mate!

Whatever you catch.....................enjoy it!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

pcpaulh

Reaction score
As Andy said having good tackle definitely gives you more confidence. Whilst using my Harrisions or Dave Lumb built rod I always feel so much more confident whilst using my other rods. And as I result I believe I fish a lot better as well.