New Forest Area?

N

Nick Austin 2

hi, it's the first time iv'e been on this part of the forum, i'm off to the new forest for a weekend, and would like to incorperate a bit of sea fishing.... (beach or harour?) any tips would be gratefully recieved...

Failing that, any good winter day ticket waters in that area that anyone knows of?

D

Dave Slater

Hi Nick,
I don't do any sea fishing myself but I know that it can be quite good. My mate Bill has caught big bass from the beach in the past. They do boat trips from Poole harbour which isn't too far away from the forest. It is quite nice on the quay and the boats go from there so they should be able to give you the info. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't go sea fishing.
Regarding day ticket waters I may be able to make a few suggestions as there asre several in the forest. It all depends on what you want. Sway lake would be my first choice. It gets pretty busy but there are loads of 2lb roach, big perch and carp to over 30lb. You buy the ticket on the bank. Night fishing is allowed if you fancy this but you can catch the roach in the day and there are plenty of them. If you want a commercoial carp fishery Hordle lakes, near New Milton, are worth a look. Again you get the ticket on the bank. There are carp in all of the lakes but the big lake is probably best for bigger ones. There are also some decent roach and a few big perch there.
There are lots of other day ticket waters and it may be worth your while popping into Ringwood Tackle and having a chat with Ritchie. The phone number is 01425 475155. He should be able to give you all the information you need.
I hope this helps and that you have an enjoyable weekend.
Dave

J

jason fisher

christchurch harbour or langstone or any of the rest of it really nick, it's all got fish in it or if you pop down to poole there's chesil beach.
there's a pond in the middle of the forest that i've had a 6lb tench from on bread an i only fished it for about 4 hours.
you can get charters from christchurch too.

alan

Reaction score
ask on www.sea-angling.org they all go fishing in that sort of area, i mainly go portsmouth, if your interseted i can tell you where a shoal of small bass are.

alan

Reaction score
not sure about the freshwater side but hatchett pond near beaulieu is big and ive seen people fishing it, what area of the new forset are you going to?

alan

Reaction score
never fished it but ive walked around it a few times, bloody long walk, but fun with the cows and ponys walking about.

N

Nick Austin 2

cheers guys, some food for thought there..... i think i found a lake in burley that looks like the thing i'm after....
Sat on chesil a few times...... think i might save embarking on my sea fishing later in the year.....

BTW.... nice to see answers from you folks.... people i see on all the other sections i visit!!!!

J

jason fisher

just checked the map and it was hatchett pond that i had that tench from.

D

Dave Slater

Nick,
If the lake in Burley is the one I think it is there are some big perch in it.

N

Nick Austin 2

cool!... it's on a farm i believe, i cant for the life of me remember what it's called though!...

N

Nick Austin 2

it was a brilliant little pool run by an absolute gent. There was an article in angling times about the perch dave, didn't catch but had a great day!.

D

Dave Slater

Glad you had a good day Nick, despite not catching. If you are down this way again please E_mail me and I will put you on to a really nice day ticket water in Ringwood. The tickets are only available from Ringwood Tackle and are limited to six a day. There are big perch in there as well as decent roach, crcians and carp.

N

Nick Austin 2

cheers dave!... will do that. I often pop down your way, (along with everyone else in the south on bank holidays!)

M

michael rouse

Bit early for bass now.End of May is usually the time to start(or so i'm told).If its a sandy beach you are fishing then theres a chance of dabs,flounder and maybe the odd bass if you are lucky.Black lug are a good bait for the flatties and if another rod is spare then rag worm for the bass.If available, you could always tip off your bait with a bit of razor fish(for bass) and squid for most other species.I had nothing but whiting last week and bait size dosent matter to them.

If using soft baits then remember elasticated cotton.

I think that the tide differences matter.I tend to catch more when the tide comes in ( Low tide was at around 9:00 ish last time i was fishing but it probably differs)
If fishing off a new mark then remember "Time and tide waits for no man".

alan

Reaction score
"bit early for bass" tell that to the 10 i had a few weeks ago. even the smuts are starting to show on the south coast, the odd mackeral has been caught at chesil as well.

M

michael rouse

Bit early for bass around the welsh coasts.Yes but are you down south Alan?