NEW MEMBER OLD TIES

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh by the way and before I forget, I did OK on a few trips in the 80s with "Pronutro".

This as you know is a soya based breakfast cereal unique to SA. It also has semolina, maize and other such stuff in it. Another ingredient could be sorghum flour. In the old days we used to get the sorghum residue or bottoms from the brewing of traditional African Sorghum beer. Kurper used to go barmy for it, and it certainly attracted carp.

michael kirby

Reaction score
104 Reier Road , Atlasville , Boksburg , South Afr
RESULTS of weekend comp as promised,fortunately the grass carp are feeding at between 40 and 60 meters,so i fished an open endedDRENNAN swimfeeder 15grams on both rods with the bottom hook length 200mm long and the feeder on a snap swivel,the top hook i had a gummy or float stop on the line and moved it about 250 mm above the feeder,on the hook i fished with very small pieces of a almond and garlic dough,the feed was our normal crushed ground mealie pips in a dry mix where you just add water,i made it fairly dry loaded the feeders and off i went out of 35 anglers i came second first place was 49 fish 14.6 kgs i was second easily with 34 fish at 11.9kgs i am quite chuffed as i believe this would have been the first time ever that swimfeeders were used in a competition in SA and the result is very promising,80% of the fish i caught on the bottom hook and what surprises me is the fact that you get bites quickly with the hook relatively far away from the feeder at 200mmas to what we normally do which is to have the hook 100 mmm away from the feed,also i wonder if you dont get bites more quickly as the fish cant get to the feed which is still in the feeder so they take the bait,as opposed to our current method where you have a massive available feed bomb which they feed on first,unfortunately we dont always fish this close so next step is feeder fishing at distance and to try the method feeder,i found the wind a big problem at times yesterday...Mike