New Roach Bait.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Such a beautiful fish....A moment to treasure....stil good to see the metric system in use-in the UK!!!

strut5a

Reaction score
the deacon...who's prawns were you using for the roach??
-I know a roach can take big baits such as a whole lobworm but on my lake,although every other species take prawn(they are the large canadian variety which are 2.5cm long approx)the roach,which grow to a good size don't want to know-even if I cut them down!!

Perhaps you are using a small variety??

Hi Tee- Cee,
The prawns I was using were cooked ones from Tesco who sell three sizes which are Cocktail ie small, standard which I was using and king prawn which are very big.
The standard one seemed to fit nicely onto a size 10 without completely covering the hook. I was only fishing about two rod lengths out so no real casting was involved.
I'm going to give them another go this weekend and I'll let you knowthe results.

Noel80

Reaction score
Had sweetcorn and prawns with me yesterday and was catching roach "on the drop" close in on sweetcorn. As I was playing (what turned out to be the largest fish of the day at just under a pound) I saw he was being chased by a perch.

I swtiched to prawn and got nothing. Switched back to sweetcorn and got a few more roach but the swim was dying (my speciality!). Soon the swim was dead. I tried legering prawn for the rest of the day over a bed of liquidised bread, hemp, corn and cut up prawns and got nothing else. Not blaming the prawn, I think the fish just weren't there but it didn't do anything for my confidence.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
We had roach to 10oz, small pasties, commons to 6lb and tench to 4lb yesterday....all on whole prawn. It's a cracking bait.

We normally fish them with loaded carp pellet wagglers or whole on a hair-rig with method feeders.