Night Fishing

J

Jon Moores

Suprised no one has mentioned what is for me one of the most exciting, active and skilful kinds of night fishing - sea trout on the fly. I've just come back from a week or so in a Scottish glen, much of which was spent fishing through the night and was as usual the hightlight of my fishing year. There is little to compare with that moment of the take on the fly at night.

J

Jon Moores

ps John PAAS and RADAC for Ribble nightfishing (waiting lists for both). Also game fishing clubs will generally allow night fishing because of the sea trout fishing.

K

Karl Miles

John, the Prince Albert may do - still waiting to join. Not sure about the Wigan District ticket... worth asking 'em though.

L

Les Clark

John, How would /can they tell if you haven`t slept for 24hrs,?

J

john conway

I don?t suppose they can, unless your daft enough to tell them or you post your session on the net after you?ve run off the road onto a railway track and wiped out a few mums and kids!! I think his mobile phone, visa card transactions, the distance he?d travelled and the fact that he?d driven after work etc did for the guy in the US. Even now the law states you have to drive with due care and attention, so I suppose they could do similar checks if you were in a bad accident. Can?t see them stopping you just for the hell of it.

I

Ian Whittaker

Alan,
Wigan /Preston Centre water is supposed to be no fishing between 11pm and 4am.You can fish Mellings Wood and the Church Deeps at night but its not recommended to be on your own.
All of my overnight fishing involves some sleep time . I did used to try and fish without sleep but I once crossed all 3 lanes on the M1 coming back from a sleepless night session.

A

alan outen

ian i only go sea fishing so it dosnt matter if i go at night, on the driving tired side if i feel tired i wont drive i will sit in the car for an hour or so, but as i take my camping stove with me i have a fresh hot supply of coffee all night, and a can or two of red bull

A

alan outen

also forgot to mention i only live about 4miles from where i fish

D

Dave Slater

I enjoy night fishing. The only problem I have with it is that if too much of it is done on some stretches of river the fish seem to switch over entirely to feeding at night. I catch most of my big fish in the daytime or, sometimes, in the evening. This is achieved by fishing stretches with only light pressure. Night fishing can be very tiring so, where possible, I like to catch my fish in the day. This means I am less tired for other things. I do enjoy a few hours by the river at night after work in the winter. Apart from that my night fishing is for carp and tench. As this tends to be sessions lasting a few days tiredness is not an issue as it is possible to get some sleep at the lake. When I used to do one night sessions driving became difficult and potentially dangerous, as implied earlier in this thread.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Ron

I'm pleased you enjoy night fishing on your own terms but why should everyone else have to do the same? I think the barbel police are getting to you, mate.

Staying up all night is a good way to kill yourself on the drive home. Should you take someone else with you the police call it manslaughter.

Staying up all night clearly fits in with your lifestyle. Anglers with young kids and families probably can't go to bed at 7pm. Some anglers fish two nights at weekends which is not exactly compatible with staying awake.

Am I mistaken or was the reason old-time specimen hunters wore dark glasses was because they'd kept themselves awake with narcotic stimulants?

The odd can of lager pales into insignificance by comparison, eh?

Ron, enjoy your fishing, I'll see you in the morning (if not tonight) but please, put away the soapbox. We are all entitled to fish on OUR own terms, NOT yours.

R

Ron Clay

I do apologise Bob; there is no doubt that many anglers are not free to do the things that I do regularly, mainly because I have only myself to look after.

I was once married, had a baby and had the normal responsibilities of a Father.

However I had a job where often I would have to spend up to 3 months away from home on a business trip. There had to be times during that trip when I had to have a little leasure. That meant taking my fishing tackle, I always carried it in the boot.

graham stretton

Reaction score
i like night fishing have been a few times this summer. But i have a advantage i work nights, so on a satnight it is like being at work. And i donot go on my own. Had some very go nights as well as some bad ones. I think it is evreyone to thier own about night fishing. over the years friends have come for anights fishing, but not got on at all. And never been again.

J

john conway

Last night I did a 6 till midnight session on my local river Lune and needless to say it was extremely quiet, once all the kids, who’d been swimming up by the weir had gone home. About 11-o-clock I gone into that state of mind were your neither awake nor asleep, just in some sort of trance staring at my “star-lites”, when I felt something crawling over my feet, I snapped out of the trance and looked down at this very large brown rat crawling over my legs!!! Hummm what did you say about night fishing Ron?