Ninja 2000 reel

mikench

Reaction score
What do members think of this reel? I believe S63 uses one! I have a Korum Snapper 2000 which is very smooth and I have spooled it with braid which is not allowed on all the waters on one card! I decided to buy a spare spool for mono but cannot locate one and when I last found a supplier it cost £19 plus postage! I might as well buy a new reel!

I can get a Ninja for £30 using my points at AD and free postage which is a no brainier for me! I can get another Korum as well for about The same! I believe they are well liked!

What mono / fleuro would be advised for small lures and shads?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A great value for money reel Mike, I’ve bought more expensive and asking myself why?

As for braid and fluoro, much depends on the snag factor where you are going to fish, that’s not just below the water but also surrounding trees and vegetation that act as magnets for lures. Also your intended quarry will have a bearing on choice of BS, pike in the venue changes the game plan a bit.

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve the match model 3012a, can’t rate it highly enough. My only criticism is that if I take the anti back wind off & the handle is towards the top it’ll back wind till the handles at 6 o’clock. It won’t go forwards so if it’s in the right place that’s not a problem

Hope that makes sense it’s looks as clear as mud to me now I’ve read it

mikench

Reaction score
I'll get one! I'll keep the Korum with braid for those waters which may have pike( I'll be after perch) and use the Ninja with mono on waters which do not officially have pike! Again I will be after perch! It looks a quality reel for not a lot of money!!!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend mono Mike, you don’t get the feedback through the rod as you do with braid, pound for pound braid is much thinner too. If it’s for perch on a snag free venue I’d consider something between 7 and 10lb bs with a Fluoro leader of about 5lb.

mikench

Reaction score
Braid is not allowed( no idea why) on most of the waters on one card which I know contain large perch ! I will have to use mono John and as any lure fisherman is conspicuous and as braid is often a bright colour it won't work! I was thinking of 8lb mono or fluorocarbon ! Some days I will be the only one there so I may forget!!!!

naxian62

Reaction score
Just started using the Riverge soft fluoro for my light jigging and dropshot Quite impressed with it so far.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Braid is not allowed( no idea why) on most of the waters on one card which I know contain large perch ! I will have to use mono John and as any lure fisherman is conspicuous and as braid is often a bright colour it won't work! I was thinking of 8lb mono or fluorocarbon ! Some days I will be the only one there so I may forget!!!!

Drennan Double Strength mono may be worth a try Mike, very little elasticity.

mikench

Reaction score
Will look at the riverge fluorocarbon line but will try fluorocarbon straight through on one of the spools and braid/ strong mono on the other! What bs should I go for on the fluorocarbon!

Another Dave

Reaction score
There's an angler on youtube called Perch Jesus (yes, i know) who uses fluoro straight through, seemed legit.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Will look at the riverge fluorocarbon line but will try fluorocarbon straight through on one of the spools and braid/ strong mono on the other! What bs should I go for on the fluorocarbon!

Don’t go straight through to the lure Mike, if you get snagged and need to pull for a break you could leave a lot of fluoro behind, use a loop to loop leader, something like 6lb and 4lb or stronger if it’s snaggy.

mikench

Reaction score
I have never understood this absolute ban on braided lines. I have assumed that braid in a fishes mouth and when attached to a hook, causes damage! However if one has braid as a mainline but with a 5' mono leader this perceived issue cannot occur I would have thought! Am I wrong?

I digress but in the odd chat with club officials I have never been persuaded about many of the rules!!!! On one water it states there are no pike in it but then goes on to say pike fishing is forbidden. Go figure!!

Keith M

Reaction score
I think it’s because braid is said to be not as resistant to abrasion and to being damaged on sharp weed and snags etc. as mono is, and if you get a nick in braid and it parts you could get yards of it hanging from a fishes mouth, wheras if only the hooklength was braid it would be less of a problem.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are all sort of theories to justify the banning of braid. All are somehow linked to fish protection, of any type of fish, not just carp. Like most rules, they are implemented with the best of intentions.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Many rules that seem pointless to us, dare I say reasonably intelligent anglers :), are these rules there with the idiots in mind, always a few in very club.

For example, braid as we know is much thinner pro rata than mono, wouldn’t be good to see an angler hauling out fish on 80lb braid. I often drag out snapped rigs from the depths that look like they were designed for shark fishing.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Well I ordered the reel over a week ago from AD and watched its progress through Parcelforce's tracking system! All was going well until the end of last week when I was advised it had been exported from the UK!!! It hadn't arrived when I got home and according to AD it's been sent to France! By coincidence my PayPal account is french but the default address for delivery is home in England and the order form confirms this!! AD have always delivered here and I doubt they would deliver abroad. I gave up on deliveries to France when a 12' beach rod was alledgedly delivered safely and left in my post box( 18"x12") Hey ho!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike I worked for the post Office for a while, and I reckon we could have have got your rod in your letter box . :wh One house we went to had a dog that used to charge at the letterbox every time there was a delivery and tried to get at the postmans fingers, After repeated requests for a cage behind the letterbox went unheaded,this particular customer had been on an expensive holiday abroad. Shortly after that around 10 packs of photos arrived for delivery to the address, ( this was pre digital and mobile phone technology ), So the dutiful postman put them through the letterbox carefully and slowly whilst listening to the dog shred every packet. A cage was installed a few days later.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I ordered the reel over a week ago from AD and watched its progress through Parcelforce's tracking system! All was going well until the end of last week when I was advised it had been exported from the UK!!! It hadn't arrived when I got home and according to AD it's been sent to France! By coincidence my PayPal account is french but the default address for delivery is home in England and the order form confirms this!! AD have always delivered here and I doubt they would deliver abroad. I gave up on deliveries to France when a 12' beach rod was alledgedly delivered safely and left in my post box( 18"x12") Hey ho!

I’ve had similar discrepancies between order forms, Paypal etc. If it’s gone to your French address Mike I’d say your default address is faulty! Check, check, and check again. Must be a computer generated issue, surely they would want more dosh from you to post abroad?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
There are all sort of theories to justify the banning of braid. All are somehow linked to fish protection, of any type of fish, not just carp. Like most rules, they are implemented with the best of intentions.
And usually misinformed. Dave Chilton (former Kryston owner) said how braid will flatten more around a fish's mouth so won't tear into flesh the same as mono.

I've used braid (PowerPro) for years for lure fishing in all strengths, but started using it for pike fishing with dead baits since going to Ireland with Andy Nellist where he was using it. The trick is to use a rod with a soft action for pike, not carp rods that are designed to cast big leads hundreds of metres. So I bought two ET Ultimate Pitmasters, which although they have a 3+lbs TC are really soft, they won't cast a deadbait more than 60 metres, but when a pike lunges, the rods just give nice and softly.

There are dangers using copolymers too. As DC also said, you have have damage at one position on the line and it could break some yards away. This is because they are several strands of line fused together to make like a monofilament. Much thinner for the strength, but watch for any damage.

As for the Ninja reel, superb, I have one.