Non-improver

acbruce

Reaction score
I’ve been fly fishing for trout,admittedly on and off for nearly four years, but still struggle to catch - I can count the total number on two hands. I think I can cast fairly well but feel much less confident about which fly to use, which line, which retrieve etc. I would really welcome some help to try and improve.

@Clive

Reaction score
Dependent on your preferred style and the water you could fish a team of three flies, a copper bead PTN for example under a couple of buzzers, black, brown or green on a floating line. Cast out with the wind at 90 degrees and retrieve very slowly using a figure of 8 retrieve. Or try lure fishing using proven patterns, black & lime green, orange, pink or white and experiment by letting the lures sink for longer before retrieving and varying your retrieve.

The biggest factor however is location. Fish at the lee side of the lake as that is often where the spring and early summer activity is.

riverman

Reaction score
I’ve been fly fishing for trout,admittedly on and off for nearly four years, but still struggle to catch - I can count the total number on two hands. I think I can cast fairly well but feel much less confident about which fly to use, which line, which retrieve etc. I would really welcome some help to try and improve.
what you need is to go with someone who knows what theyre doing as i did and as you say offer advice on the topics you've mentioned.as all the people i go with fishing with are coarse anglers finding someone to go fly fishing with is not easy.good luck and tight lines.

acbruce

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I fish a couple of small stillwaters in Sussex - do I need to change the range of flies I take out with me on a monthly or season basis?

@Clive

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I fish a couple of small stillwaters in Sussex - do I need to change the range of flies I take out with me on a monthly or season basis?
The best thing to do is have a walk down the lee side of the lake and look at the insects or cases that are being washed up. Also take note of what flies are resting on foliage near to the lake. Choose flies that best represent what is hatching at the time.

John Aston

Reaction score
If you are struggling the problem is probably not fly choice but either location, presentation or (especially ) confidence- or all three. On most stillwaters ,if you fish a floating line with a couple of buzzers , a GRHE nymph or damselfly nymph you should get some takes. Fish as long a leader as you feel comfy with - at least 12 ft and more if you can, especially if you are using a dropper. With buzzers , look for a nice L- R wind (if you are right-handed) , cast across the ripple and let the flies fish round in an arc , with either no retrieve at all, or a very slow and erratic figure of eight. Fish what you think is slowly and then slow it down by half again! Some like to use FAB and blobs on floating line fishing but I'm happy with a well greased leader - which you need to watch like a hawk as takes can be very subtle draws which you don't feel.

For a damsel you can use a faster retrieve - a slow-medium figure of eight is ideal.

It's often worth trying a Ginked up Hopper too - chuck it out and leave it static , and don't strike too fast. Unlike when buzzer fishing, when your strike needs to be instant .

Look for activity and fish close to the wind . Rainbows tend to keep on the move so can pass through your spot before disappearing .

And I repeat - it is nearly all about confidence . When you start fly fishing it seems like some magic trick but the more you do it, the more you will realise that it's not only a great way to catch fish , but a very effective one

David Gane

Reaction score
When I first started coarse fishing with lures for pike, perch etc I struggled to begin with. I totally agree with John Aston, it was probably as a result of poor presentation, poor location and lack of confidence - with confidence actually being the real key, I feel. I was a bit similar when I started fly fishing - and the frustration I felt when I realised that 45 years of coarse fishing hadn't really done anything to make me a good fly caster was intense. I sought advice and help and gradually became competent (I wouldn't claim to be more than that). What I learned though is that it does take a good while and that you do just have to keep hammering away. And one tip that everyone seems to take on board is to ask others what they are doing when you arrive on site. People are generally pretty generous with their feedback. They'll tell you what strategies have been working, what flies they have had success with and (just as importantly) what wasn't working. Something else that I've learned too. Don't keep hammering away with a strategy that isn't working. The best fly anglers I've seen are restless. They try something and if it doesn't work after just a few minutes they change something. Sooner or later those changes bring about success. Yes, you spend less time with your line in the water, but you catch more fish. And you really can't beat the feeling of a trout taking a fly.

John Aston

Reaction score
The other thing I'd mention which might be relevant if you are fly fishing rivers and streams. Don't just fish where you'd fish with bait. It was a revelation to me that I could catch chub, dace, trout and grayling from fast flowing water and /or water that was only inches deep on fly . Trotting and legering can restrict your ability to fish in areas which can be prime habitat . Equally, if you are fly fishing , take off the 'chub goggles'- a slow deep run next to a bush might look sexy but, like as not, will be useless on fly. Ditto weather - hot, sunny days can be mustard as long as you explore areas you'd normally neglect .