% of Attention

J

jason fisher

"I think Stu is trying to make the assumption that you're not a total retard", big assumptions then. especially as you've never met me.

any way monk mentioned location.

if i'm not allowed to put location in then 70% rigs 25% bait.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

i'm just weighing up Monks Stella and my Hock n Ade.

Hmmmmmmmmm

B

Big Malc

"If you're not getting screamers, then what do you tinker with first, bait or rigs?"

If I know carp are in my swim, but I'm seemingly not getting pick ups, then I'd tinker with bait - i.e. try a pop-up or something else totally different from the current set up.

If I am getting pick ups, but THEN no 'screamers' I'd then tinker with rigs.

njb51

Reaction score
it depends what my rig is.

There are sometimes when i fish on lakes that i get screamers all day. Then go another time, use the same rig and maybe not get as many. But there are other times where i use the same rigs, and i get nothing. Although if i'm using the same bait as before then i might look at my rig.

For instance, if i was fishing over some fairly deep silt, i might use one type of rig to aid presentation. This might also be a very successful way of presenting the bait, whatever it may be. But if the next time i was using the same rig and same bait and catching nothing, what would i change considering im fishing in silt. If i change the bait and this doesn't work, would i change the rig, or change the bait again. Considering the different flavours of baits, i could be there all day! Though as i'm fishing over fairly deep silt, im sort of limited to the rigs i can use.

Hope that made some kind of sense and you can see what im getting at.

F

Frothey

i agree with malc...if you are getting an indication then the bait is ok, so its tinker with the rig time....

R

Rodney Wrestt

Good question Stu,
As my bait is in tip top condition (or as near as I can get it before a session) then 75% rigs (on the day) 25% bait, although as mentioned by Clem depending on the bites (type or lack of) will determine which % I will tinker with.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Location 99% (unless there not there).
Bait 99% (unless they dont like it).
Rig 000.1% (cos if there there and they like the bait they will pick it up in all confidence and give some sort of indication,,,,,,,,,then its down to the muppet on the other end.

B

Big Malc

Very true Murray, but perhaps its how the plastic bait is presented?

F

Frothey

its a shame that the plastic fantastics weren't "discovered" in the protein/amino days......imagine the bait buffs trying to explain that one!

Nick A

Reaction score
As dave said, if you are getting indications, then "look at" the rig.

No indications, "look at" the bait.

I think EITHER, an interesting LOOKING bait, or a bait giving off some sort of signal, will attract attention, therefore, the problem is getting a rig to hook them.. so i'll say...

70% rigs
30% Bait.

(providing you are in the right location ;-)

B

Bully

50:50

If we considered location, 70:15:15

Anyone mentioned pre-baiting / baiting tactics as part of the equation??

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Are carp REALLY fussy about what they eat??
95% rig 5% bait.
If you left your rigs at home you'd have a problem.
If you left your bait at home you'd probably have a root round the bag to see whats hiding in the bottom.

B

Big Malc

But would you still catch ian?

All waters are different, and perhaps not all, but many anglers fish differently. In an overstocked puddle - any old crap will do! But where they are few and far between, and have seen it all, then its a different matter - in my humble opinion of course!

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Malc, thats the million dollar question!
The answer has to be sometimes, not everytime, even when I think everything is spot on.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
You can fool most of the fish, some of the time.

You can fool some of the fish most of the time.

But you can't catch Carp on a consistent basis!!!!!!!!!!!

So that fecks up that theory then!!!!!!