Old fishing methods that have fallen out of fashion

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Actually pole fishing is an old method which did fall out of fashion for a few decades but is seeing something of a resurgence in modern times.

Don't start saying things like that Titus.
The "i'm a celebrity don't you know" sort of modern angler writes articles, blogs,guides etc on the back of telling folks their modern ideas and secrets, If folks start realising it's only re hashing old ideas and methods their egos will take a huge dent.

B

Berty

Don't start saying things like that Titus.
The "i'm a celebrity don't you know" sort of modern angler writes articles, blogs,guides etc on the back of telling folks their modern ideas and secrets, If folks start realising it's only re hashing old ideas and methods their egos will take a huge dent.

Judas, you know full well that "egos" can never be dented....they are figments of imagination and therefore of a dreamworld ;)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark

"useless floats"
You appear to have missed my 1st post. Bobbers are THE only float capable of being effective fishing a whole Lob, then chopping to 1/2 a lob or tail, or even sticking a small fish on without having to alter the shotting.

Then again I think i'll bow to your superior knowledge, not get involved in a discussion with someone so blinkered, and just keep on catching fish.

That is a incredible comment from an anonymous poster or are you afraid to use your name? - I'm going to nickname you 'Perch Bob', you'll have to work out the rest. Fred J Taylor writes of using a thick piece of peacock quill to support a whole lob to trickle it beside a bed of bullrushes. The advantage of the quill was that it could be threaded on the line and worked closely to the rushes, and the occasional float loss was no big deal as it was just a piece of unpainted quill rather than some 'work of art' costing the best part of a tenner - practical fishing at its best. In more open water a chubber type float will do the same, as will a stubby balsa and a number of other floats with the only requirement being sufficient buoyancy in the tip, and it's always easy to change floats in seconds. If you want to use bobbers that's your prerogative but I regard perch as a bit of fun and nothing serious - the last decent one I caught came sniffing around the keepnet, I rigged up another top-2 of the pole with heavy elastic, 5ft of line and a hook, no float or weight and dangled a bleak on its nose, 15 seconds later it took it, hardly difficult and no need for a bobber. Let's be honest, perch fishers are in a tiny minority but fun to catch;).

The point of this thread is about methods that are no longer generally seen, within our own lifetime, which is why swingtipping, the most popular method on the Witham for instance in the late 60s, is a good example. There were never serried ranks of 600 anglers on the Witham or elsewhere using bobbers! Other methods have returned, especially pole fishing but mostly on rivers I see anglers with a two-rod set-up legering with pellets or boilies on a bolt-rig whereas before they fished one rod on the float and used maggots or casters, probably the same is true on stillwaters though on smaller waters there are a lot more pole anglers.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
That is a incredible comment from an anonymous poster or are you afraid to use your name? - I'm going to nickname you 'Perch Bob',

The point of this thread is about methods that are no longer generally seen, within our own lifetime, which is why swingtipping, the most popular method on the Witham for instance in the late 60s, is a good example. .

Mark

Why does me using a psuedonym concern you so much or make anything I have to contribute any less credible. I haven't a clue who you are so in reality even if you are using your real name it doesn't mean anything to me.

The point of this thread,if you actually cared to read the opening post, is OLD METHODS THAT HAVE FALLEN OUT OF FASHION.
No mention of "within our own lifetime" as this would then leave the thread dependant on how old any contributor is. Simples really.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After my thread about swing tip rods , what other fishing methods have fallen out of fashion but would still work today?
From fly fishing - does anyone still catch may flies and use them for "dapping"

Hemp fishing for roach with a small quill on a fast match rod a lost art but one that most anglers had in their armoury even twenty years ago.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Hemp fishing for roach with a small quill on a fast match rod a lost art but one that most anglers had in their armoury even twenty years ago.

That reminds me

Using elderberries and Tares under a trotted float on the Thames. Feed Hemp fish Elderberries/Tares.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A sure way to catch some quality redfins a bit of bicarb in the tares to make them nice and black and there are still a few berries about. All you need is a little bit of patience.

barbelboi

Reaction score
And that reminds me

Of many years trotting elderberries on a small river slightly upstream of an overhanging elderberry bush at the right time of year.
Jerry

PS Also trotting silkweed, and the small snails that lived in it, for roach.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Re baits - using cockles or swan mussel foot for tench dont get used much nowadays (no its not illegal - only taking freshwater pearl mussels is).

For a method out of favour - what about using dough bobbins?. Nothing wrong with them except you could get surrounded by ducks at short notice. Advantages being they can be any size or weight as required, from one cast to the next if need be.

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Gutted when they changed the design of the Fairy Liquid bottle tops.

Would appear that a lot bite indicators/hangers these days are about building resistence into the set up to create self hooking

David Dalton

Reaction score
Does anybody use the rolling leger much any more? Not rolling meat in a direction parallel to the current, Ray Walton style, but casting across the current on a tight line. The lead then rolls round in an arc towards the angler. I find this a useful method to fish for chub in summer on the wide gravel flats you get on some parts of the Hampshire Avon. I have also used it to fish for bass with ragworm in Christchurch Harbour.

Mark Wintle - I have a use for Drennan perch bobber floats. I saw the stems of, leaving a stub of about a centimeter, to which I attach a ring. They then make good Trent trotters.

One old school method I have yet to try is sink and draw minnow for chub and perch. I did once too try spinning for rudd with a fly spoon, but as far as I remember caught only one or two small ones. Both these methods were mentioned in one of my favourite boyhood books, the Observer's Book Of Coarse fishing, by Peter Wheat.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the rolling leger method for most of my small river angling with just enough lead to keep the bait down and to hold it when it finds a depression in the river bed it is a very good way of covering the water.

Philip

Reaction score
Not really a technique but what about using washing up liquid bottle tops as bobbins.

You know I recently added one back to my tackle bag for those «*just in case situations*» when I am traveling light. All I wanted was a nice simple little bobbin to clip on my line and I got so fed up with all the fiddly clips, weights, chains, screws and so forth on with modern bobbins that weigh a ton to carry around and cost so much you are scared to lose it that I have gone back to a washing up liquid bottle top as my stop gap bobbin. It weighs nothing, clips on the line in a second, line friendly, easy to see, mold a bit of plastercine on it if you want to add weight plus you can even jam an isotope into it if you fish into darkness..plus it costs nothing so at the end of the day I dont need to walk a mile back to the swim scouring the ground with a torch for an hour if I discover I have dropped it somewhere.

B

binka

What about laying-on in a river - in the right swim and conditions it is a really enjoyable and effecient method.

One of the first methods I was taught on the river... i'm sure it was referred to as "stret pegging" back then, not heard the phrase for many years though.

Someone also mentioned rolling ledger, i've just taken some nice Barbel on the Trent using a 5/8th lead and letting it roll to the bottom of the nearside shelf instead of trying to pin 5oz in the main flow and really enjoyable seeing a wrap around with barely any tension on the tip to begin with.

Philip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by peterjg
What about laying-on in a river - in the right swim and conditions it is a really enjoyable and effecient method.
One of the first methods I was taught on the river... i'm sure it was referred to as "stret pegging" back then, not heard the phrase for many years though.

Being a new poster I guess you wont know what sort of debate a statement like that can stir up binka. Stret pegging v Laying on...has been the battle ground of some epic encounters on here....lets just say they are NOT the same ...;)

...where is Matt Corker when you need him :wh:D

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Hemp fishing is still very popular on certain venues in the right conditions, although mainly using a pole these days for the improved presentation and response to bites:
e.g.. non-tidal Trent, Avon at Evesham, Old Nene at March, Thames around Oxford, midlands canals, Soar .... I fished a match in January where we caught on hemp after a -6 degree frost!

From my lifetime, zoomer fishing ....top & bottom antennas to fish far bank of fen rivers (needed a perfect up & behind wind)