Opinion Piece ? We?ve never had it so Good

F

Fred Bonney

"They teach you to shrug off name calling in the infants school yard up here, but it is still very fun at times?"

They may well do, but a least you know who your dealing with,and how to respond!

M

MarkTheSpark

This is all getting a bit silly. Prof Tench and all his pseudonyms and I had an email correspondence in which I admitted I may have confused phthalates and endocrine disptors like true oestrogens, but I did address that point, and apologise. As I apologised for having taken a rather low tone in my response to his article.

But here's what he said about me in his email to GM: I don't remember him at all from the AT, I haven't been a regular reader for years (let's be honest it's crap and I prefer AM of the two) but I do remember Chris Dawn, Allan Haines and Greg Meenham but not Sparky. Did he leave AT under a cloud as he certainly seems to bear a grudge against them as he does the water industry?

OK, you could interpret that several ways, but one of them is that I've made up my seven years on AT, and that I was sacked. Nor did I threaten to sue him; I did mention slander, but I just asked him not to repeat that statement.

If anyone has the slightest interest in seeing the interchange, I have nothing to hide. It's just too long to post on here; PM me if you want a copy.

As for me just wanting to dig out the 'news', I think that's what the last 29 years of my career has been about. I'm not going to apologise for ringing a few alarm bells, prematurely or otherwise. As Rumsfeld would have it, it's the things you don't know you don't know that will get you.

M

MarkTheSpark

Just an afterthought; if anyone wants to know more about the possible effects of phthalates and, more recently, a common bactericide called triclosan in the environment, try looking them up on Wikipedia - the alarm bells have been rung on both as being potentially injurious to reproduction and child development.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It must have been a different Mark that I knew at AT all those years ago ...

;-)

Crazy Frog

Reaction score
Ribbit,

Having just left the marshes and the company of the 'Bogsbury Group' of writers (Tench, Chub, Snapper, Redfin, Tope et al.) aka the 'Bog Generation' (Jack Kerouac eat yer heart out m8)I would now like to approach the 'On-Line Disciples of Graham Issues Top Scriptures or 'OLDGITS' as they are collectively known in order to re-instate the status quo.

From the vitriolic mumblings and insane ramblings of the 'Bogs', it appears that the 'Mighty Marsden' may have over-estimated the age of its members. It now appears that Tench and his cohorts are in fact products of the anarchic 'punk rock' generation. This would clearly explain their 'snotty' attitude and lack of respect for their elders and betters. These 'punks' are infamous for the disregard for the accepted norms and traditions of a polite, gracious society that most of us cherish so dearly. I have heard it said that Tench is 'Pretty Vacant' most of the time but is definitely 'all at sea' at the moment.

It seems that 'Scoop' intends to run and run on the phthalates issue and if anyone is interested (is anyone interested as you could save us all a lot of time if you're not?)follow up his Wikipedia recommendation by all means. But as you read do remind yourself that Wikipedia is a user-generated on-line encyclopedia not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Pretty much anyone can go on there and write what they like about anything. Quality assurance is dependent on the knowledge and integrity of the users. While there may indeed be good information on the site, I doubt if many busy research scientists have much time for it. Jeremy Clarkson has stated that his own Wiki biography claims eating endangered species and indiscriminately mowing down pedestrians, pensioners and cyclists as among his 'interests'!

If Mark has genuinley sparked your interest in this topic, may I point you in the direction of the Institute for Environment at Brunel University, where Kate Aoki is conducting research into the potential influence of phthalates on fish fertility. For endocrine disrupting chemicals, Sue Jobling, is one of the leading authorities in this field at the same department. If you 'Google' - phthalate pollution fish - and select UK Pages, you should get both Kate and Sue's web pages with contact details on the first page. Why not get in touch, research can be a lonely old business at times. I doubt there is much to be said about phthalates and fish at the mo'. You may also be surprised to see what else this search hits?

triclosan? Pass! Perhaps ED may know something about this, what with his chemical knowledge. Snapper would like to know if he should gargle, spit or swallow with the Loperamide Hydrochloride? And feels that these are very long words for such a small, yet admitedly perfectly formed fellow. That also appears to be a fish called a 'carp' that you are holding there ED so who'd you borrow it of then? Must have put a rare old bend in the AC2 and fair worn you out after all those years of snotty bashing?

Woody, it appears you now have a dedicated following among the 'Bogs' who feel sure that you are living in some form of parallel universe. If anyone is being hung out to dry here, it is most definitely you Sir. Although, I believe this may help dry rot? It is clear that you are long since a 'sapling' these days but do try to keep up Woodster, before the rot sets in permanently. As for leopards being unable to change their spots, have you not heard of bleach? By the way are you a lumberjack? Cause I'm alright and you should see me in my suspenders and a bra. If you would like to hook up, I hang around in bars. Or perhaps you are simply a 'plank' m8?

Ribbit, CF

Posted by Prof Tench

Crazy Frog

Reaction score
NEWS FLASH - Appears that the Tench mayowe Scoop an apology on one count. Should he come out of hiding and deliver it? Does anyone care? Answers on a .......

Posted by Prof Tench

Jack Snapper

Reaction score
Now then,

Don't know what that Crazy Frog was croaking on about and have told her to hop it!

To matters of more import. Hopefully some of you are aware that the SACN have been campaigning to increase the minimum size limit (MLS) for taking bass from 36cm to 45cm. The current size is farcical, bass are slow growing fish that take several years to reach maturity. The current size limit allows fish to be taken before they've had the opportunity to reproduce. A nonsensical situation for a long term sustainable commercial fishery.
To apply pressure on the relavent government department to get a sensible size limit in force an 'e-petiton' has been lodged at Downing Street. While it is debatable how much influence these petitions actually have (see 'road pricing' debate)it is far better than doing nothing?

So if you would care to add your names to the petition (real ones please and yes I do know that's hypocrtical coming from me, so sue me!)this is where to find it:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BassMLS/

Thanks to all who support this action.

Woodster, you crazy diamond, you may be interested to know that the Tench was among the first to sign this petition. Seek and yee shall find!

JACK

Posted by Prof Tench

M

MarkTheSpark

How many noms de plumes can one man have? And what kind of person has a conversation with himself on a fishing forum?

Maybe I'm mistaken but J. Snapper and C. Frog are the same person if I'm any judge of writing - it's like a fingerprint, your writing style.

However, the bass petition is worthy of a better mention, and (with acknowledgement) I will post it separately with a proper link in General Fishing.

M

MarkTheSpark

Having now seen the petition, I hazard a guess that J. Snapper is Martin Bone, the reasoning being that Martin Bone is the only person to have signed twice...

M

MarkTheSpark

And one final thing; I have read and re-read Barrie's piece, and one thing's bothering me.

Now this is going to sound a bit precious, but does Barrie not agree with almost everything in Shouting into a Vacuum - my original article - while mentioning only what Prof. Tench had to say?

Indeed, if you re-read Prof. Tench's response, you will find that there's not much there to contradict the core of what I had to say. Even the title, 'We've never had it so good,' repeats what I said:
I think river fishing has improved or at least held steady and There is less pollution than 20 years ago

M

MarkTheSpark

And now it looks like I'm having a conversation with myself....

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I'm listening Mark:)-)

Barrie doesn't know how to switch a computer on yet so he'll only respond to any links I send to his secretary to print out for him, or if I phone him.

He's a dinosaur where technology is concerned, but at least he admits it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Prof. Tench, Dr Chub Chub, Jack Snapper, and now Crazy Frog - this person needs sectioning.

How I wish I'd met this person when I was doing my thesis on psychology. I could have had a syndrome named after me having discovered it in him, something along the lines of multiplexual discoordination. Or a matter of one part not knowing what the many other parts of him are doing or thinking.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Perhaps ED may know something about this, what with his chemical knowledge."

Unfortunately my chemical knowledge stretches to just 2 items:
a)
Loperamide Hydrochloride ---which is used to treat diarrhoea It's also known as Immodium
(so I suggest he gargles with it)
and
b)
Lysergic Acid Diethylamide
(a hallucinogen which helps make carp LOOK like bream and vice versa )

:)

D

david bruce 1

Mark
A word of caution about believing all you read on Wikipedia. It is subject to whatever submissions are made to it, by whoever has a wish to go public on their chosen theme. It only has a limited degree of moderation, particularly scientific and peer review etc.

Try looking up some famous/imfamous people - you might be surprised by what you read.

M

MarkTheSpark

I take your point, David. Did you look at the references? If not, maybe you could.

The veracity of everything depends on who you talk to. OJ Simpson didn't murder his wife, officially. But is there anything wrong with someone who says he did?

The point I am making is that the references I provided (which came with masses of cross-reference with properly reviewed science) may be a cynic's 'take' on the subject. An opposite opinion might be offered by, for example, the manufacturers of triclosan and phthalates.

Are either right, or is it better just to take both sides of the argument and make up your own mind?

Prof Redfin

Reaction score
Hello,

The view from Bogsbury Marsh today goes a little something like this:

Tench is absorbing the wise words of the Proper Piking Professor and would like to discuss further a few minor bones of contention. He believes this is best done in private as a discussion of the finer points of scientific understanding and general politics between two earth scientists would be of little interest on this site?

ED - any chance of an article discussing the realtive merits of 'micro-dots' vs 'shrooms' in summer night fishing? How long can you stare at a beta-light butt indicator without blinking? I've tried that immodium and couldn't talk for a week afterwards does that mean I talk a lot of s................

WOODY - you nutter - was 'psyhcology thesis' what they said they'd be letting you do as they dragged you away? Having completed it did that make you institutionalised or just 'wooden'?

PETER BISHOP - surely anything under 10 000 words hardly constitutes a book? Surely a pamphlet at best and leaflet at worst? Have you read the little known 1980's Bogsbury Group classic: 'Shy Biting Crucians at Night' by R U Seine?

SCOOP - Yes you are being precious, I don't think you and Barrie see eye to eye on the RSPB for starters?

Must return to the shoal as Jack Snapper is looking at me funny!

Is this thread dead?

Bogsbury Publications are 'After the Pub' productions in assocaition with 'Big Biftas'.

Posted by Prof Tench

Jack Snapper

Reaction score
The view from the 'Bogs' camp today:

1) Is Scoop not reassured that at least he clearly wasn't 'Shouting into the Vaccuum' after all? We've tried it with our 'Henry' the Hoover and it is definitely a 'no win' situation!

2) Tench takes issue with the 'Proper Piking Prof' over:
a) UK contribution to acidification of Swedish acid/igneous rock drainage basins during the 1970's.
b) EC contribution to improving aquatic ecology. Just look at all the relevant EC Directives then tell me what Mrs T contributed please Barry?
c) EA vs NRA - the EA are undoubtedly more coustomer focussed but is this just 'window dressing'? Why do you continually here both insiders and outsiders say "all the good people have gone"? Especially with reference to the vital 'Pollution Control' teams (now Environment Management?) but perhaps less so 'Fisheries'.
d) How would Mrs T's private regulator have worked? How would they show a profit? Would they charge anglers/clubs? How much would a rod licence be now? Would fishery 'rates' have gone away as easily as they did in 1992?
e) Pollution - can someone define 'too clean'? Some 20 years after all the fuss, when it comes to oestrogenic chemicals, where's the evidence they've had any real impact on our rivers please? Plenty of roach of all sizes in my river - yum yum!
f) Water meadows in this country are managed systems in England and at best 'semi-natural' but it is a minor point.

But is anybody other than Profs Tench and Rickards interested in discussing these minority interests here? Should not the debate take place privately?

Off to look for 'Redfin' as it's nearly dinner time!

Snapper

Bogsbury Group Publications are 'After the Pub' productions in association with 'Big Biftas'.

Posted by Postman Pat

Jack Snapper

Reaction score
By the way is anyone else fed up of hearing celibrity chefs and restaurant critics waxing lyrical about what wonderful eating wild bass are? No wonder they fetch over ?10/lb in places and there are so many 'fly by night' gill netters about?!

I know Tench is more partial to a nice bit of Haddock, Dr Chub is a 'cod head' but I've always favoured a live (sushi?) 4-6" roach myself. But steer clear of those Rapala SSR-9's, as they definitely give you 'tooth-ache' IMHO and like the inimitable Woodster are a bit wooden.

Now where's that redfin!?

Snapper

p.s. All quiet on the 'OLDGITS' side is this a good sign?

Bogsbury Group Publications are 'After the Pub' productions in association with 'Big Biftas'.

Posted by Postman Pat